Fissurotomy/fistulotomy and botox tomorrow

Fistula support sub forum. Are you having, or have you had surgery for a Fistula? Or are you just looking for information? We will help where we can and are here to offer support, member-to-member. Check out our Fistula Success Stories sub-forum too!!

Return to FISTULA - Are you having surgery for a Fistula or already had it?

Re: Fissurotomy/fistulotomy and botox tomorrow

Postby Sue27uk » 27 Jul 2012, 10:46

I'm ok with ibuprofen for the pain to be honest! Have my tramadol if really necessary! I've just looked at your thread actually and glad to see things are going well for you. Things have been better today so fingers crossed its just a dodgy week, going to work definitely didn't help! Yep I am on hols and its been great to relax and recover. Will keep updated with your progress and update my thread every few days. Very sweet of you all to worry and think about me! :D
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby Ever the Optimist » 27 Jul 2012, 11:08

Hi Sue,
Reall good to hear from you again and so sorry you've had a crap painful week. Image
If it's any consolation, I was OK my first day back at work but I really struggled on the second and things also felt a lot more difficult. I suppose after initially relaxing at home and being able to lie down and stuff, going back to work means more activity and increased pressure on that area again, which means you're going to experience a bit more pain and discomfort.
Hopefully, it is just a bad week and things will start to pick up again for you I'm sure....
When do you get your follow up with your CRS????
Sending you healing hugs and try to stay positive that you will be OK and make the most of this rare bit of Summer sun we finally seem to be getting in the UK!!....It's certainly made me feel more uplifted Image
Chronic Fissure diagnosed December 2011
Healed by Diltiazem around Feb 2013
Anal Fistula followed burst abscess in June 2012
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Topics: 24
Mood: Living life again

Postby Ever the Optimist » 27 Jul 2012, 11:15

P.S Things not going too bad - Thanks for asking Sue.
Having very little or no pain at times and then occasionally a soft BM, which causes some discomfort. It feels like the whole area is "tightening" up if that makes any sense and I'm a bit more sensitive when passing stools at the mo. It's nothing major and on the whole, feeling OK. Pretty sure must be normal. I go back to my CRS 10th August for follow-up.
I'm sure if had an infection you would know. Aside from redness (which I think is probably still normal at your stage) you'd be in a lot of pain all the time and not just after BM's etc. and probably not feeling good in youself or generally healthy either. If you still have discharge that would have probably changed colour/ maybe smell if something was not quite right. If in any doubt, just go see your GP for some reassurance......
2 internal troublesome piles remain & suspected, but undiagnosed, ongoing Levator Ani type symptoms & flare-ups
Ever the Optimist

Postby Sue27uk » 29 Jul 2012, 03:48

AW thank you ETO. I'm relaxing watching the olympics at the moment, nice to see something different on the TV! I have also been making the most of the sun!! I am ringing to get a GP appointment anyway as have developed another ear infection overnight - v painful! So while I am there I can ask about the operation. I haven't heard from my CRS but he was going to be on holiday from 17th July - 1st September!! I did hear him mention me going to a clinic in August but have not heard as yet. Will ring up soon if I haven't heard anything. My coccyx is better but not gone so will mention that too, decided to leave my skin complaint and try to sort this other stuff first. It has calmed a bit. Glad you are feeling good! Let us know how your follow-up goes, I will keep this updated. The pain after my bm this morning was as bad pain wise but didn't last as long so I am hopeful! I am still struggling to walk far without pain but have concluded I am just a slow healer!! Will update soon :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Postby Sue27uk » 30 Jul 2012, 09:24

Quick update, I wasn't examined but don't think I have an infection. Have an ear infection though!! Saw my GP, well the other one cos my one is on hols. He said it can take up to 6 months to get back to normal after the surgery I've had. He said some are back to normal in 3 months, some take longer. Everyone is different. I feel happier that he has given me a more realistic timeframe. Having my 'time of the month' at the minute is not helping I don't think. Will update soon, or when there is something to update. Will also update after my follow-up, whenever that ends up being! Hope all are well :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 30 Jul 2012, 12:56

Hi Sue, :)
It all sounds like things are going OK for you at the moment other than the ear infection of course! It's probably a bit of a distraction from your anal issues at the moment isn't it? !! Hope you are feeling better now and good to get some realistic advice from a GP too about healing times!....
I'm still feeling a bit sore/ few pricking type pains, these days and there is still some some visible healing going on but nothing else....It'll be the sixth week mile and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to say that I'm healed yet just....!..
I think that everything's OK but I'll be looking forward to my CRS appointment at the end of August ( I had to switch the dates) just for some more reassurance in the meantime...
It was interesting to read an older posting on here....(I'll post the link) who "shared" their experience after a fistulomy quite intensely for up to a year. Real interesting read with everything they went through. I shall find it for you...If I recall, it took after 6 months for them to start feeling almost "normal" again....
I'll post it soon. Keep healing!... (as painlessly as poss) Image
Ever the Optimist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 30 Jul 2012, 15:10

Ever the Optimist

Postby Sue27uk » 02 Aug 2012, 03:23

Thank you for that thread ETO, kind of put my mind at rest. Image Quick update at almost 4 weeks post op. I still have some pain after a bm but its nowhere near as long lasting. I don't think I've got an infection! Going to see my doctor who told me sometimes it can take up to 6 months for things to settle has put my mind at rest. I am now taking paracetamol for pain instead of ibuprofen, unless I am going out that is! Still quite painful to go in a car, and walk far but if things at bm are getting easier then I hope other things will follow. What has helped me is coming off the movicol as I feel this was making things a bit too loose what with my IBS and all. I have gone back to lactulose and docusate sodium at night for the minute along with drinking lots of water and it seems to be doing the trick. bm are a bit more solid but that honestly seems to be better for me now. Will update again soon! :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Postby Sue27uk » 05 Aug 2012, 02:21

Well quick update, I have had 2 days from absolute hell. Felt like despair yesterday. Disaster has been that I got constipated for 2 days. I have NEVER had this before except in hospital last April which caused all these problems to start. Image Luckily this mornings bm was better but I am right back to the start. Am in absolute agony during bms and feeling pretty low about it all. I know things will improve again, just a bit disheartened and wondering if this will ever end cos at the moment it feels like I will never be pain free. After 18months its taken its toll. One question, does anyone else get sickness and headaches from using the movicol/miralax? Image
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Postby Ever the Optimist » 05 Aug 2012, 03:38

Aw Sue,
I'm SO sorry to hear that and I'm sorry I can't answer your question because I've only ever used Lactulose & my beloved Olive Oil!....I hope someone else can.
Just to offer you a "shoulder to cry on" and remind you that it's not necessarily back to square one - just a horrible set back, which is awful, especially since you've been so positive in your recovery. You just want things to get better & better. What caused the constipation?? Did you change your diet at all or eat something, which didn't help or drop your fluids a bit???..Poor you...it's just so mentally exhausting.
Just try to remember it probably IS only a set back and things will pick up again and you'll soon be back on track I'm sure. You've been doing GREAT!...
Even recovering takes it's toll sometimes. You try so hard to feel positive and do your best and even the smallest thing, can cast a doubt on it all again and make you think you're never going to get better but you WILL I'm certain.....Remember lots of people get through all this very successfully. It just takes a lot of time and patience.
Be kind to yourself, gets lots of rest and try not to get too down ( I know it's hard!) Always here to offer support and hope things are better when you read this xx
Ever the Optimist