Having surgery on Tuesday - very nervous! Any tips/advice?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Having surgery on Tuesday - very nervous! Any tips/advice?

Postby crimeofpassion » 23 May 2009, 16:24

I actually never had painful spasms - just spasms that felt like a regular muscle twitch. I'm just a bit surprised/confused that they're not gone, as the LIS surgery is what's supposed to stop them. Image
The MOM actually did make me go to the bathroom once today! I think I'll keep taking it at least for the next 2-4 days, and then maybe move to stool softeners and fiber.
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby Deleted User 5 » 23 May 2009, 16:45

That's just it, COP. If it feels like a muscle twitch,then you are not describing the sphincter spasms...LIS is for the clenching type spasms, not muscle twitches...
Deleted User 5

Postby crimeofpassion » 23 May 2009, 22:25

Really? I was told that not everyone has the painful spasms, and that the type of spasms I were having were indeed preventing me from healing.
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Deleted User 5 » 24 May 2009, 06:05

I could be misunderstanding the type of spasm you're having, COP. I assume sphincter-related spasms could be painless, then? Mine weren't. I was thinking you were refering to the muscle twitching I sometimes had right at the anus after LIS. But if yours is a bit deeper inside the anal canal, then you should be correct. You are so lucky they don't hurt, at the very least..
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 24 May 2009, 06:26

Spasms, twitches, flutters, stabbing pain, burning, itching blah blah..
I experienced it all ! The area is traumatized give it some time COP, all these symptoms should fade to a distant memory over the next coming weeks ! Image
I hope the pain is a little bit better today Image

Postby Fissulyna » 24 May 2009, 13:23

We are all different and heal in different way and in different timeframe Image . Also, many have different level of pain that can be anywhere on the scale from 1 to 10 and COP - you are so very lucky to feel your spasms as just a twitching Image !!! Try to concentrate on that and give your body some time to heal. If your problems continue after 6 months post LIS, than you might want to explore further what is preventing healing.
Best of luck Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby crimeofpassion » 24 May 2009, 20:36

That's very true, but now I feel paranoid that the surgery didn't work. :roll:
Did a lot of other people still have spasms after surgery? Does it just take time for them to stop?
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Fissulyna » 25 May 2009, 23:24

COP- I am sorry that you are still worried about whole ordeal - but now you rally can do nothing but try to relax and give your body time to heal. Worrying will not help you Image in any shape or form and especially if you have no pain - just twitching - why are you so upset Image ??? You will know if LIS worked after 12 weeks at the best scenario and probably even more , until your fissure heals . Now - when do you have your post-op check-up ??? They can do internal exam around 8 weeks to check progress and just finger exam will be enough for your CRS to feel if sphincter has loosened or not ! I am also now wondering if that twitching is not sphincter spasm since spasms last for long time and even if not painful - they are always contraction that lasts for hours and is not occasional twitch Image . Could it be that you had spasms that you did not feel before the LIS and also a twitching as a separate and independent parallel event and since you felt just that sensation you thought that that was actual spasm ? Image :roll: Image
You really have to be patient - you are just fresh "off the table" and really it is toooooo early to judge anything ...
Take care and try to concentrate on healing, nice baths, good nutrition and keeping your poop soft so you can make that fissure heal
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby crimeofpassion » 25 May 2009, 23:53

Well, the "twitching"/spasms aren't painful, but obviously I'm still experiencing a very large amount of pain. Image
Anyway, I guess I'm just confused. I thought the spasms were supposed to stop right away. I've had this fissure for a year. Its impacted my life in so many ways. As a busy student who wants to study abroad, and as someone who has multiple chronic pain disorders, I want this fixed not only so I can move on with my life, but also so I can reduce the large amount of pain I have on a daily basis. The thought that this surgery didn't work is horrifying. But you're right. I shouldn't worry so much. I just do - all the time! :oops: Bad habit. I'm a rather negative person, too.
I have a check-up with the surgeon either this week or next week - I can't remember!
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Fissulyna » 26 May 2009, 07:17

I am sorry COP - :( , I did not know you are in so much pain Image . I live with chronic pains too, so I can definitely understand how "one more thing" to deal with is just too much to bare Image Fissures are known to put life to a halt, for most people they are life changing "event" Image and no matter in what stage of life you are - they are devastating Image and very hard to deal with. It is impossible not to worry or wonder about health issues in general , just try to concentrate on healing part since statistically speaking , you have more chance to heal than not - about 98% chance Image , so try to keep that in mind and repeat it in your mind any time you feel down Image Image Image !If you have a close friend or a sibling or a parent, ask them to repeat that to you too - I know it helped me GREAT deal when other people believed in my healing and reassured me that all will be fine Image .
What pain do you feel now ? Is it at your incision site or in the anus or fissure pain Image ? How is your bladder infection - I hope it went away ! Except twitching - how do you feel tightness ? Is your anus clenching during BM ? Image Is your pain level any better comparing to the first day after the LIS ? Is it there all the time or sometimes ?
Unfortunately, for some people healing is not that fast or straightforward but it does not mean it is not happening Image. You will have your post-op very soon and you should ask your CRS many questions and about anything that is worrying you. If you need - put all of your questions on the paper (I always did). You mentioned your Mom is helping you - can you bring her with you to the exam ? She can be your advocate and also remember things doctor would say or ask extra questions. Never be shy to ask and fight for the proper care !!! If you are in pain that is extremely uncomfortable right now - you should ask your CRS for help ! There are many lines of pain killers and also Valium can relax your sphincter and give you peace of mind !
I wish you fast healing Passion and keep us posted about your progress Image !
Fissulyna
VIP