LIS in a week

Late forties male, AF of 1 year

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS in a week

Postby Mypoorbutt » 24 Apr 2017, 11:13

Glad you have your sister to help you family are really great especially when we are in pain.
I'm doing ok thanks life is pretty much back to pre fissure but with the downside of the spasms kicking in when my IBS or crohns plays up. But I'm ok with that as I now view it as another aspect of those issues as I don't have the spasms from anything else now like walking or standing still or Marital relations lol
I think this is as good as it gets and to be honest I'm okk with that. Of course I would like to be spasm free but with my other problems that's was always very unlikely
Really good luck with your healing
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Mr Fissure » 24 Apr 2017, 16:56

Hi GG

Thank you very much for your kind and encouraging words! :thankyou:

I've been following your progress with interest, as though it's a distant memory for me now, we both come with sporting/fitness backgrounds. I'm pretty sure you'll find the right balance again for your digestion, and then with your fitness level and age, I'm confident you'll recover fully from your AF.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you,
Mr F
Mr Fissure
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 2

Postby Mr Fissure » 24 Apr 2017, 17:13

Oh, well done Mpb! Soooo pleased for you! :Rock:

It's taken a long time for you to get to this point, so it must feel all the sweeter for you!

Here's hoping the next stage for you now, is to get the IBS/Chronicle under control...

Yep, my sister has been a great help to me, especially in keeping me positive! Always has been happy to sort me out, when required Lol! Incidentally went out for a walk tonight, went the furthest I've been so far (still only about 15mins) but slowed it down, and had no 'pulling'at all! Progress!! :D
Mr Fissure
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mr Fissure » 26 Apr 2017, 11:57

So the '2 steps forward, 2 steps back' routine, that's become so familiar to me over the last year, seems to be continuing post LIS. Yesterday was the best I've felt since the op, today (day 12), probably the worst. :cry:

Don't think it's a case of doing too much too soon, as I haven't really been able to walk too far because of my adductor, but for whatever reason from the moment I woke up today my fissure's been in full-on angry mode.

Really don't want to contemplate the chance that the surgery might have failed, and trying to remain positive saying to myself it's still early days. But is it? 12 days on, should I now be seeing some improvements, because in all honesty, especially today, I don't even feel in as good a shape as I was immediately prior to the LIS?
Mr Fissure
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mypoorbutt » 26 Apr 2017, 12:54

Hi Mr F
I wouldn't lose hope I was in a worst state 4 weeks after LIS than anytime before (apart from the hellish 6 weeks before I got the GTN)
I know my crohns and IBS was to blame but you also have other stuff going on. Whose knows if those extra few meters on your walk caused your abducter to tighten a bit overnight so the whole area was tense hence why the fissure is complaining.
It's only 12 days and we will all have bad ones. Heck I'm 6 months and still have spasms thanks to my lovely colon. I'm sure that your fissure is healing quite well...I was so shocked that mine had healed 40 percent through my weeks of agony.
Please don't lose hope you have been doing great I think the people who have a completely smooth road have nothing else going on down there and only need to concentrate on nice BMs
Good luck, hugs
Mypoorbutt

Postby GilmoreGirl » 26 Apr 2017, 13:20

Agreed with mpb...I'm about 4 weeks out and am only really seeing improvement now so I think you're ahead of the game!

I find that now I'm walking more and stuff the muscles area between the anus and the butt cheek on the side of LIS gets tired - and then I'm more likely to have a bit more pain from the fissure area (and my fissure was mostly healed when I had LIS). It's like the muscle gets tired and then there's a little less support for the sphincters and then a little more spasm and pain.

It could be something similar is going on - and I think it's just something that will get better with time as the muscle heals and strengthens. I bet your good days will get better and your bad days will get less painful every week!
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Topics: 18

Postby Mr Fissure » 26 Apr 2017, 13:43

Oh, thanks for your timely support, mpb & GG - sorry that you both suffered slow recoveries, but it is somewhat reassuring! :thanx:

And you are 100% right, mpb, I do have other stuff going on that's undoubtedly hindered my initial recovery, though the adductor is feeling a little stronger now, so hopefully that will help things relax in the coming days.

I think I might be similar to you, GG, as the CRS told me my AF was also partially healed. What's nagging at the back of my mind, is he said because it was high up and partially healed, he didn't want to stretch me unnecessarily to see the full extent. My concern therefore, is did he cut enough?

Nevertheless I'm back using the Rectogesic today, and things do seem a little better since I applied it this afternoon, should also be able to up the sitz baths now too, as my adductor strengthens.

GG, can't offer you much in the way of advice with your digestive issues, but sincerely hope you find a way to smooth out your BM's, as I'm sure you'll be well on the road to full recovery then.

Thanks again,
Mr F
Mr Fissure
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mypoorbutt » 26 Apr 2017, 14:17

Just some reassurance for you Mr F mine wasn't cut the full length of the fissure due to how long the blooming thing was lol. At 10 weeks it was 95% healed so I'm pretty sure that even a small nick will enable a full healing it just might take a bit longer.
I bet when you go and see the amazing Mr Brown for your check up you will be surprised at how well your doing.
I was so very worried and annoyed that because the cut wasn't as long as I wanted it to be that it would be pointless....I begged him to cut the full length I even offered to sign anything. But in the end he was right and I healed as much as possible.
This time next month you will be surprised at how far you have come :D
Mypoorbutt

Postby Mr Fissure » 26 Apr 2017, 14:47

Oh thank you so much, mpb !!! :thankyou:

Those words really are a great comfort and are what I really needed to hear right now...

Been going through all the emotions you described today, almost to a tee (and had a heated arguement with my Dad as a result!). Its amazing how this ailment can really tie you up in knots emotionally - and all the old doubts come rushing to the surface! Those who haven't had an AF will never understand, though I appreciate our moods do affect them too, and I try to hide my worries where possible.

But your right, I should have faith in Mr Brown, he's someone with a great level of knowledge and experience in this field and I'm sure he'll have known exactly how much and where to cut, to get the best possible result for me too.

Off to apply some more Recto now and then take a lie down.

Thanks again...!
Mr F
Mr Fissure
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mypoorbutt » 26 Apr 2017, 15:09

Oh your so right mr F this fissure has affected me more emotionally than anything else in my life both physically and psychologically.
No one who hasn't experienced this can truly understand although I do believe that if the level of pain could be seen then they would be more sensitive to us.
Yes he is great he even insisted he did mine himself so he could do the cut as long as was possible as he knew someone who didn't know me would hold back a bit.
Keep on with the recto for a while as it will help it really made a difference to me
Mypoorbutt