LIS in a week

Late forties male, AF of 1 year

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS in a week

Postby GilmoreGirl » 05 May 2017, 17:30

That's how I feel when I push things Mr. F - I get a bit of throbbing but it soon stops if I lie down or even sit up on one hip.

So glad to hear you are doing so well!!!

-GG
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Topics: 18

Postby zinnia » 05 May 2017, 17:33

Mr. F that sounds all so good! I had a fistulotomy 4 weeks ago and I am finding that what i hope is "healing" pan is so painful right now. Like a fissure, which essentially it is what with incision. I just thought I was over the worst only to feel sharp zings again. Hard to know. Continued healing to you.
zinnia
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Mr Fissure » 06 May 2017, 05:25

Thank you zinnia, same to you too!

I know exactly where you're coming from too...Yesterday was great, the happiest I've felt in months, almost felt alive again! Today, not so good unfortunately... :cry: Woke up with an extremely tender backside, clearly I did a little too much and its telling me in no uncertain terms to 'hold my horses'!

So, like you, feeling quite a few of those sharp zings today, but hoping there's no lasting damage done. Mypoorbutt said pretty much what you did earlier on this page, in that there's not just the fissure to recover from, but probably a lot of internal bruising and swelling from the surgery too.

So hopefully we're both just experiencing the natural ups and downs of recovery from an LIS, and that given time the good days will get better and more frequent and the bad days easier and rarer...

Stay positive and all the very best in your recovery!
Mr F
Mr Fissure
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 2

Postby Mr Fissure » 06 May 2017, 05:30

Thanks for popping by with more supportive words, GG!

So how are you doing now? Really hope you've managed to get your BM's under control and are now firmly on the recovery path!?

Take care,
Mr F
Mr Fissure
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mypoorbutt » 06 May 2017, 05:55

Hey you could have been shuffling about because of your back though lol. I find sitting like that really takes any pressure off the fissure not sure it's great for the back but hey ho
Gosh that sounds like a very busy day and really great you felt no pain that it a massive improvement...just think 3 weeks ago there was no way you could have sat down for an hour and half.
I'm doing good thanx still have days when my flares bring pain my CRS says it's now from the scar tissue as the fissure was one of the deepest he's seen and that it may continue well into the future, but most days are like my life pre fissure so I am eternally grateful for MR Brown taking a chance on my LIS and I have not had even 1 slight issue of incontinence during my flares which was what all the other docs who turned me down insisted would happen
Take care
MPB
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Mr Fissure » 06 May 2017, 14:04

Oh that's fantastic, well done mpb! After all you've been through these last 18 months its the least you deserved! You never know, if you can get your Crohns/IBS under control you might make a complete recovery yet..

Ha Ha, yep, or my adductor!! Its playing up a bit today too, I'm such a train-wreck atm! LOL! But you're right, there's no way I could've done that, on a settee in particular, for that sort of time before my LIS.
Mr Fissure
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby zinnia » 06 May 2017, 18:34

do either of you have any little hard knots of tissue in then surgical area? My larger swollen bit has settled, but there is a pea size hard knot- tender if I press too hard. I am assuming it it a reaction to surgery, not an abscess- just tired or wondering and worrying.
zinnia
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Mr Fissure » 09 May 2017, 17:21

So, clearly I did over-exert myself the other day, as I've had a few days of pain now with both my backside and adductor. My CRS told me it wasn't really possible to do any lasting damage just by sitting down, so really hoping that's the case.

I feel some of the pain must be coming from the incision site as for the last few nights I've found that if I lie in my favoured sleeping position (on my side, recovery pos), a burning sensation starts within 5 mins or so (very similar to the pain of a Fissure) but not something I experienced lying down, prior to my LIS?

I'm really hoping things start to pick up soon, as I'm approaching the magic 4 week mark on Friday, and as yet, I can't honestly say (apart from less pain from BM's) that I'm any better than I was pre LIS. I appreciate my adductor injury isn't helping matters and I'm trying to stay positive, but I am worried, as I'm miles off the active life I once led; still just existing rather than living.
Mr Fissure
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mr Fissure » 10 May 2017, 06:56

A very good night's sleep last night for a change (probably due to the fact I was physically and mentally exhausted lol!?) and my bum feels a little better today so far, certainly nothing like as tender...

I realise quality sleep is a big factor in helping the body heal and its something I've struggled with due to the problems I've had in finding a comfortable position (with my added complication of an adductor injury to go with the AF/incision site!).
Mr Fissure
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mr Fissure » 12 May 2017, 06:05

So, 4 weeks ago, almost to the minute I was going in to theatre for my LIS. 4 weeks on and I'd really hoped I wouldn't feel like this! :verysad: I have the odd decent day, but in all honesty my bum is now more sensitive than it was before the op, when I was told my fissure was partially healed.

Over the last 4 weeks I've managed to sit down at times and for longer than I could/did pre-LIS, but I suspect this is more me forcing myself to do so (through gritted teeth!), than actually being able to in comfort. And I always seem to pay for it big time afterwards! And the most activity I've done is a half hour walk and a 10 minute drive - I'm a million miles of the active person I once was...

I had a good day last Friday and then suffered all weekend as a result. Another good day on Wednesday, where I forced myself to try and do a little bit more sitting and I've paid for it again! I now have two distinct and sharp pains again if I sit down anywhere, general tenderness in my buttocks and the burning after my BM is still here an hour and a half or so later this morning, presumably the fissure and the incision site have both flared up or re-opened again. Even lying down on my back is painful again, as it was when I was really suffering last summer, so finding a comfortable sleeping position was impossible last night.

I've tried to remain positive, but the LIS was always my 'ace card'. I can't really contemplate what it means if its failed, as I'm starting to suspect it now has. I'm hanging on to the vague hope that things will get better, just give it time, but not sure I believe it any more. I have the appointment with my CRS on June 2nd, when I guess I'll find out for sure...

Apologies for the self-pity but I have to vent somewhere or I feel like I'm gonna explode! My family are trying to be supportive, but I can see how much it upsets them when I even mention the possibility that the LIS may have failed, so I'm trying to keep my thoughts to myself now.

So disappointing. :(
Mr Fissure
Proctosphincteranalogist