LIS scheduled for next Thursday (Dec 16, 2010)

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS scheduled for next Thursday (Dec 16, 2010)

Postby happyass » 18 Dec 2010, 09:29

a suggestion, if you haven't already started to do this:
first thing in the morning, drink hot/warm liquids - preferably non-dairy such as green tea or other type of tea or even some diluted warm to hot apple juice or even hot water with lemon.
if you can drink a couple of cups of this first thing - no need to chug but hopefully you can get a couple down in 30 minutes and let it settle, this should help get things moving.
it will probably be good to intake warm/hot liquids during this time rather than cold.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby happyass » 18 Dec 2010, 09:37

also i am not sure what you can do to "lessen" your anxiety over the quality or possible pain of the first BM.
it will be very important for you to try not to strain anything and really attempt to go when your body is giving you that feeling to go - don't rush it.
i don't know if you have ever tried to squat pre-LIS to pass a BM, but it is definitely a way to reduce the pressure of passing the BM down there. just get some old papers or newspapers, lay them on the bathroom floor, squat over and let things happen easily.
you will need to try to relax and use deep breathing to help you through.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 18 Dec 2010, 14:38

Hey William,
I did have some pretty huge bm's after lis but just wanted to let you know, they weren't as painful as before lis. I was just sore. Be sure and drink plenty of water, and take your regular stool softeners and eat or take your fiber...If it were me, I would try a milder laxative before taking anything harsh if it comes to that( Maybe milk of magnesia)... But like others have said relax, it will come.
If you had an enema then it may come later than normal since you were cleaned out...Take care:)

Postby Guest » 18 Dec 2010, 14:42

pss. William, maybe you could sip a little coffee or something that may have stimulated a bowel movement prior to having your fissure Image

Postby StevePain » 18 Dec 2010, 14:42

I'm with dawn, I recall her saying she had construction worker sized BM's after surgery, and that's pretty much how mine were too, they were huuuuuuuge but due to the LIS, they passed so easy, hell I could probably pass a football these days with ease Image
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 18 Dec 2010, 14:47

Yeah , they were Huge Steve, and prior to surgery would have killed me. I was amazed that they came out and I didn't feel any fissure. Once you see you can pass those, you get some confidence in the surgery working...lol
I'm having normal size now though...

Postby StevePain » 18 Dec 2010, 15:07

Mine are pretty normal now and I'm regular as clockwork, but that first week or so after surgery my BM's scared the hell out of me lol
StevePain
King Fissure

Postby William » 19 Dec 2010, 04:19

Still nothing...now I'm getting scared
Tried warm tea, coffee...tried MOM...took senekot 8 hours ago...
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby William » 19 Dec 2010, 06:43

Ow!
Ok, it finally happened. It wasn't as bad as I expected, but it was still pretty frickin' unpleasant. Man, the fissure site stings like heck! I think the ton of ducosate and perhaps the little bit of MOM softened it up a bit. I didn't notice the stimulant effect, but perhaps it helped too.
What a relief...
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby StevePain » 19 Dec 2010, 15:46

Hey William, I hear you, I recall how much those first BM's sting like hell, infact it stings and burns like a fire in your butt, overly loose stools and watery stools will further aggravate the wound, trying to get that perfect stool is so hard, it will improve though.
StevePain
King Fissure