LIS scheduled for next Thursday (Dec 16, 2010)

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS scheduled for next Thursday (Dec 16, 2010)

Postby William » 21 Dec 2010, 19:37

I was feeling pretty "healed" and the bleeding had almost gone away before my first BM. But since then, I get sharp pains when I move around and during BMs. I've also had diarrhea (probably brought on by the antibiotics), so that's made it more painful. And the bleeding has been plentiful, but probably not excessive.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Guest » 22 Dec 2010, 00:13

Hey William,
unfortunately we have to poop while healing,Lol
What antibiotics are you taking? They will upset the tummy for-sure!:(
Are you still taking the stool softeners w/ the antibiotics?
If you're still having the loose stools, then maybe you could cut down on the stool softeners until you've finished the antibiotics or maybe eat some yogurt with probiotics.

Postby William » 22 Dec 2010, 05:03

I'm taking Cipro. As soon as we realized that it was probably the antibiotics, I quit taking stool softeners and benefiber. I eat Fiber One yogurt every day, but I'm not sure how much that helps.
I take my last pill tonight, so hopefully this clears up soon.
Update: I had a followup appointment today. It appears that most of my pains are due to the stitches. In fact, the outermost one was constantly jabbing me, so she took it out. Now I feel pretty normal, except for the occasional jab out of nowhere. And she said that I definitely will not be incontinent, as my muscles are still really strong down there. :D
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby happyass » 22 Dec 2010, 18:19

hi william,
were you given Cipro from the get go - when you left your procedure?
also, i don't recall if you had the fissurectomy.....
i hate those jabs out of nowhere! ugh.
i am super excited about your good news.
so do you know if you had an open LIS?
and this is a TMI question, but did you have to endure your doctor probing in your bum with a finger or anoscope to give you this good news? i can't imagine having something probing in the bum that soon after having LIS.
are you still taking pain meds?
how are your BMs as of the last 24-48 hours?
you're such a brave soul!
congrats.
here's goodness to your continued healing.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby William » 22 Dec 2010, 22:15

happyass wrote:were you given Cipro from the get go - when you left your procedure?

From the night before, actually.
happyass wrote:also, i don't recall if you had the fissurectomy.....

Yes, plus removal of two papilla
happyass wrote:so do you know if you had an open LIS?

Not positive, but I think so
happyass wrote:and this is a TMI question, but did you have to endure your doctor probing in your bum with a finger or anoscope to give you this good news? i can't imagine having something probing in the bum that soon after having LIS.

Finger, but only part way. It was a little unpleasant, but I'm no worse for wear.
happyass wrote:are you still taking pain meds?

No. I only needed those the evening after the surgery.
happyass wrote:how are your BMs as of the last 24-48 hours?

They were less diarrhea-y today, but still probably too soft.
happyass wrote:you're such a brave soul!
congrats.
here's goodness to your continued healing.

Thanks!
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby happyass » 22 Dec 2010, 23:35

wow, impressive william.
so you are not taking any more pain medication.
that's amazing.
are you feeling much better pain-wise during/after a BM?
happyass
King Fissure

Postby William » 23 Dec 2010, 11:05

Every day's BM has been better than the last...so far. Considering the size of my fissure, I'm really happy where I'm at now.
I think I lucked out and got a great CRS. My GI referred me to her "usual" CRS, but he/she wasn't on my insurance, so I went through the available CRSs on my insurance and got a referral to the one that seemed to be the best option (based on the limited info that I could find on the internet). She's really nice and certainly seems to know her stuff. She also is very conservative in her surgery. She mentioned that the doctor that she worked with in her early years would make huge cuts in both sides of the muscle, but she would rather make too small of a cut and have to re-cut than cause someone to be incontinent.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby William » 27 Dec 2010, 20:25

FYI: BMs are getting less painful and sitting is getting less uncomfortable, but the change is very slow. And I think my stitches are out now.
The only slight concern that I have right now is the slightly yellowish discharge, although that really hasn't changed much since day one. I just wish it would lessen.
Edit: Also, coughs and sneezes don't kill me anymore. Man, those were bad in the first week.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby happyass » 27 Dec 2010, 22:47

awesome news william.
since you are in week 2 progress, sounds like things are going in the right direction.
by week 4 - i know it sounds like a long ways off - but by then, you'll be even better than today!
today i went for my pre-surgery visit and altho there was a lot covered, i still think doing the LIS, skin tag removal, wart removal (i had hpv in my 20s and well, took care of that then and i have like 3 very flat new mates crashing the party), and altho i am anticipating that since my fissure is almost seven years old, that there would be fibrous tissue, that the CRS mentioned she is against fissurectomies, that if she did find fibrous tissue she would have to clean it up but not buy cutting it - i don't remember how she explained it but that she would remove the dead cells so that the effect of the LIS would be positive on the new tissue/edges surrounding the fissure.
so on top of that, she will begin with a sigmoidoscopy, then move on to the LIS, which will be an open LIS, removal of the skin tag, and then removal of the warts. all surprisingly to have no stitching done. so i guess if i am not a bleeder, the stitches should be a no go.
so sounds like we will have similar situations and i hope that i will have as good as a progression as yours.
keep up the good work.
don't strain. she was totally in my face about not straining at all post-surgery.
i'll have to make note, no coughing or sneezing during first week post-LIS! Image
i know you just had your check up...did you bring up the yellowish discharge at that visit? i wonder if it is just the skin making its own "healing" discharge and if that is what it is.
happyass
King Fissure

Postby William » 28 Dec 2010, 16:42

I mentioned the discharge, but it was only 6 days post-LIS at the time so I think she just shrugged it off as normal.
I didn't question the fissurectomy, but perhaps I should have. She didn't even mention it to me; I found out she was doing it from the paperwork that she gave me. It was my impression that it was necessary for proper healing if the fissure was old (mine was about 16 months old).
William
Proctosphincteranalogist