Nervous but fed up

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Nervous but fed up

Postby IronicTwist » 06 Mar 2017, 03:55

LIS was postponed on the 26th to the 15th of March. Last week they called and moved it to the 7th, tomorrow.
I am starting to get jittery and nervous as Ive never been operated on and some LIS recovery stories have scared me a little. I hope to be one of "those" who recover with minimal pain. Lately my fissure is actually healing on its own minus some days with minor pain after a BM but Im dreading ever having to go through what I went through a few months back so maybe it IS good that I get the LIS and probably recovery will be the incision site only. Im curious as to what the CRS will do if he/she sees Im healing, will they postpone surgery? Would it be advisable to not get LIS at all even though I went through this hell hole for 10 months or will they still operate to eliminate any possibility of a recurrence. I have a small external hem too, will they just remove it or will they leave it there if it isnt causing any issues? I'm am extremely curious and anxious on what the next few days are going to be like.

Metaphorically Sh!tting myself.
IronicTwist
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby chachacha » 06 Mar 2017, 09:00

They have scheduled LIS because they believe your fissure to be chronic, so I can't imagine that they would forgo the procedure just because the fissure just happens to be looking good right now. As far as the small hem goes, that one seems to be a very individual surgeon's opinion. Some just take them off routinely while performing surgery and others believe that it's best to leave them alone unless they're causing a lot of grief. Perhaps you should discuss that issue with the surgeon right before you go in to the operating theatre?

I had very minimal pain for the first few days, and was completely pain-free by the end of three weeks, and the only pain during the last two was when I had to sit on a hard surface.

Good luck tomorrow!
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Mypoorbutt » 06 Mar 2017, 09:47

Yay IT soooo pleased for you
Don't let mine and others experience put you off or get you worried. Don't forget there are often serious underlying issues as to why a persons recovery is rough. You don't have any of these and as you say your fissure is behaving so I can imagine you being like CCC and having very minimal pain for a few days then happily back to life pre fissure. It's probably good your fissure is behaving as it will heal even quicker.
As for the hems my CRS leaves them unless a patient insist as he believes that hem removal can lead to stenosis and a longer recovery

Super good luck for tomorrow...I look forward to hearing you report your pain free
:D
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby IronicTwist » 06 Mar 2017, 10:37

Thanks for the reassurance MPB. How have you been?
IronicTwist
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby IronicTwist » 06 Mar 2017, 10:38

Thank you chacha. Im sure it will be ok. Just pre-op jitters maybe
IronicTwist
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mypoorbutt » 06 Mar 2017, 10:44

I'm doing much better thanks IT
As long as I don't go more than once a day I'm pretty much pain free. So we are working on my crohns meds and things for my IBS
I'm very glad I had the LIS even with such a rough recovery I'm better now than I have been since I got the blooming fissure lol
Mypoorbutt

Postby IronicTwist » 06 Mar 2017, 11:13

Good to hear
IronicTwist
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby IronicTwist » 07 Mar 2017, 02:35

At the hospital already. Got my fashionable hospitalwear and waiting for the nurse.
IronicTwist
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mypoorbutt » 07 Mar 2017, 03:51

Ooooh IT this will all be behind you...no pun intended lol...by this time next week you will feel so much better
Good luck and keep us updated
Mypoorbutt

Postby IronicTwist » 07 Mar 2017, 07:06

Just Out. Had local anaesthetic so i was awake throught it all. Still in no pain whatsoever
IronicTwist
Proctosphincteranalogist