Nervous but fed up

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Nervous but fed up

Postby chachacha » 08 Mar 2017, 23:11

Congrats, IT. It sounds like you're doing really well.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby IronicTwist » 09 Mar 2017, 03:37

Hon, trust me, dont be scared. I was shaking when they wheeled me into the operating block. The nurses were very reassuring. I couldnt stop bombarding them with questions just so that I could know EXACTLY what to expect. I was, as I joke now, metaphorically sh!tting myself. The aneasthesiologist reassured me everything would be ok and I wouldnt feel a thing even when he told me Id be awake through the whole procedure because thats exactly what it is, a procedure. Nothing more. I asked the surgeon if theyd remove the external hem and she told me that they will only perform what is necessary for my wellbeing. If the hem isnt in the way, theyll leave it so as to not cause any unnecessary discomfort. Reflecting back, if I knew that it was going to be that simple, I wouldnt have sweat it that much. Its surprisingly easy and fast. The only pain I went through was when they tried putting in the local anaesthetic/epidural. They missed my spine 6 times before they realised I have slight scoliosis on my lower back. That hurt a bit but nothing compared to a digital exam when youre suffering with a fissure. Recovery wise, think of when you cut your hand and it starts to heal. Thats what I feel. A little scarring ache. Bms, take a practice run to control how they come out depending on what you eat. Keep a journal and listen to your body. I know for you its probably a little more complicated but you can control it with a little extra care. Once you have your bms under control and smooth, Im 100% sure your recovery will be a breeze.

Protip. Try cutting unnecessary medication about 2 days before the procedure. The only person that seemed to suffer a little more in our room was a guy who was heavily medicated and I heard the docs talking among themselves that the meds made his recovery from the general anaesthesia a little slower. Other than that, everyone in the room said the pain they felt was significantly less than pre op. Even the hemorroidectomy patients.

TL;DR Whatever youre expecting it to be like. It isnt. Its easier.
IronicTwist
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Mypoorbutt » 09 Mar 2017, 05:23

Really glad everything is going so well for you IT. By summer you will be back to lifting no problem...I'm back to bench pressing 50kg and my butt is fine with it lol not doing heavy squats yet though.
I'm sure you will have a smooth healing journey as you have no underlying issues to set you back.
Super good luck
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby IronicTwist » 09 Mar 2017, 05:34

Summer? Within 2 months I will be doing strength training hopefully!
IronicTwist
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mypoorbutt » 09 Mar 2017, 06:13

Lol IT yes I'm sure you will be in fact you will probably be back to pre fissure weights in that time....bet your desperate to get back
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby GilmoreGirl » 09 Mar 2017, 07:06

Thanks IT - that description helps a lot! I think we're so used to pain at this point it helps recovery be a little smoother.

Yes - trying to get the bms under control but very little cooperation from my system! Doesn't seem to matter what I eat lol...and I'm hoping not to have to take opiates or Imodium as they really bother my stomach for days after taking.

Was your fissure active/open when you went for surgery? Or healed over and still getting pain? I'm suspicious that I have hems causing pain - but the doctors seem to think the tight sphincter is the source, since I had them before! What a mess lol

In any case, it's really inspiring that you're doing so well, and I'm so happy for you!
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Topics: 18

Postby IronicTwist » 09 Mar 2017, 10:18

My fissure was healing and almost closed completely so pain was already minimal other than the nagging discomfort after a bm. It was more a deep ache that the sting. Yesterday after the bm, however small, that pain was gone completely. I only feel the incision.
IronicTwist
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby GilmoreGirl » 09 Mar 2017, 11:04

That's great IT - I too have minimal discomfort during bm, just burning and aching after as the muscle tightens up for several hours, so probably similar! Thanks for the info!
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Topics: 18

Postby Mr Fissure » 09 Mar 2017, 17:10

Really chuffed to hear you're doing so well, IT !

The talk of your strength training goals is inspiring too. I was a pro sprinter back in the day, and even now in my 40's still liked to train (weights, run, mt bike, circuits etc) daily. Since my AF a year ago I've not been able to train at all and it's depressed the life out of me - literally!

Your posts at least give me hope...
Mr Fissure
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 2

Postby IronicTwist » 09 Mar 2017, 17:16

I understand what you feel. Tough. Having a bit of a hard time tonight. Had a harder bm and the site started bleeding a little. I feel there is a spasm but only slight. Wondering if they only nicked the muscle or cut it straight through. Any which way. Lets see how the next few days go. Pain still hasnt higher than a 3 so Im still doing great.
IronicTwist
Proctosphincteranalogist