my diary

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: my diary

Postby leanne27 » 23 Mar 2014, 02:19

I am having a few good days but I am worried about it as I am due for my examination under GA on Tuesday. I am fearing that things will be good on Tuesday and then back to horrible afterwards! I can't be satisfied, can I! I never would have guessed I'd be a bit peeved at doing well.

I know it's because I am at home and work sitting on an office seat and doing more walking aggravates me and undoes any healing on the weekend.

I will just wait and see what the exam comes up with, I am predicting nothing that can be modified so just more of the same. In that case I am going to seriously consider taking a week off so I can be off my bum and get some more healing taking place. This has gone on for 6 months with more than 2 months of discharging with me doing all I can to get better (except take time off work).
leanne27
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby leanne27 » 25 Mar 2014, 22:55

Back from surgery for a fistula, but have I been told what surgery...... no. Am guessing it was a fistulotomy but who knows. Surgeon didn't visit me to tell me what he did, apparently didn't tell the nursing staff so I am not terribly impressed by the whole ordeal, particularly as I had concluded that I would be looked at and sent home.

It was not reassuring to arrive and be told by the admitting nurse that I was having a haemorrhoidectomy: told her that I didn't have haemorrhoids and was having a EUA (exam under anaesthetic).....oh yes. Also had to tell her that I required a enema for the exam. Hilariously then on my discharge papers it stated that I had had a pilonidal sinus removed so had to point out to them that I didn't..... oh yes, sorry my mistake (what else did you get wrong??).

Tried to clarify what procedure was performed but the paperwork only said "fistula routine". No one could tell me how much time off work I would need or what activities were suitable and what weren't or even if I needed dressings. They removed my packed dressing before I went home.

Nurse told me to ring his rooms to get a medical certificate for work and to ask what he did to get more info. I rang and the woman who answered the phone told me that he would explain the surgery etc. during my post operative review appointment (5 weeks away). Told me they would post the medical certificate for me, so I asked if I could please be rung to be told how much time before they sent the certificate as my work would need to know ASAP.

This I find really dreadful and it has just made an unpleasant situation all the more worse, I've worked in hospitals most of my career so know this is just not right. The other big boo boo they made was that I never signed the informed consent as I had no been informed of the options that could present themselves during the exam and what could be done with the risks associated explained. So really, I should not have been operated on at all.

Apart from my whinge above I am quite surprised to be in less pain than when I went in. It's not drug related now because I have just had 2 Panadol all day and it's now 3pm. The lack of pain is fantastic but it might lead to me doing more than I should (if I ever find out what I should or shouldn't do). I haven't has a bowel motion yet so may have to take back my pleasure! The anaesthetic has made me more emotional so am a bit teary, broke down when they told me I did have to stay overnight. Very embarrassing!

Have been reading on line and here for what people do post fistula surgery so will have to "wing it". But there will be heads rolling if this doesn't heal well as a result of me not getting enough information.
leanne27
Salt Bather

Postby leanne27 » 27 Mar 2014, 00:44

Feeling miserable today. Had the first bowel motion last night at 11.30, really annoying time to have to get into a bath.

Having real problems today, feeling a bit nauseous and perhaps over did it on the lactulose but have had 4 movements today which haven't been comfortable. Pain has set in again. But the real issue is cleaning up after the bowel motion. For some reason things are not slipping out nicely but tending to plaster all around the region, horrible! Now having to try to "hose" myself down in the shower and then have a salt bath, It's so awful!

There has been quite a lot of bright blood when I sit down on the loo and particularly large amount if I pass wind. I also am sure that there is faecal material coming out of the hole. I don't know if this means that the fistula surgery has broken down, or if this has just migrated into the hole after my bowel motions? I don't know if this is normal.

Quite the baby today as well, lots of tears and feeling sorry for myself. Hopefully this will pass and I can move into recovery mode.
leanne27
Salt Bather

Postby owmybum » 27 Mar 2014, 13:19

Here's a hug for you Leanne :smilyhug:

I've not had fistula surgery, so you might get a bit of advice if you post some questions about after care on the fistula section of the board.

I always feel rotten and tearful after surgery, it's not an uncommon side effect of the anaesthesia, and who can blame you for feeling a bit sorry for yourself!!

Hang on in there!!! Things can only get better!!

OMB xxxxx
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby leanne27 » 31 Mar 2014, 07:00

Now I am at day 5 post surgery. the site is fine, way less pain than I went in with so that is great. I still am not confident so went to my GP and explained that I hadn't even been told what was done and that I was expected to wait for my first appointment in 5 weeks time. Told him that I had gone on line to work out what I think was done and what the post operative care should be. He was quite disgusted and picked up the phone and rang the surgeons rooms to say that he wanted me to be seen in the next few days, so I have an appointment tomorrow.

Now I'm feeling intimidated and not sure how to approach him at this appointment. I guess just being up front and asking what he did and what I should be doing to take care of myself and what I should expect in the upcoming weeks and when I should be concerned if any issues arise. I'm feeling a bit angry at myself for already starting to feel uncomfortable about the appointment tomorrow, he is the one in the wrong, he should have told me what was done or at bare minimum tell the nursing staff so they could advise me.

But it is so good to have less pain!
leanne27
Salt Bather

Postby Scientist2516 » 31 Mar 2014, 16:20

Hi Leanne, I've been away from my computer for a while. It's good to read your updates and hear that you are in less pain. Fantastic! And if you did have a fistulotomy (?) probably that was the right thing, given your discharge?

But I am disgusted about how your surgeon treated you. You are a person not just an area to be operated on, and he did not treat you right at all.

I'm sure I'd be feeling intimidated too, and intimidated and angry don't go well together. May I suggest that you write down a list of questions about your operation and your care. Number the questions and go through them with the surgeon.

Write down what you want to say to him regarding lack of information. You can make a plain statement of fact - that not knowing has made it more difficult for you to look after yourself, and jeopardized your recovery from his work. Hopefully you won't have to use your anger to get through to him (because if you are still emotional, it could be very difficult to get angry without crying! Or maybe I'm just projecting here).

Anyway, best of luck with your appointment. I hope you will get the answers you need. And I hope very much your recovery will continue, and that you are now on the road to full healing.

Hugs and best wishes to you
:smilyhug:
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby leanne27 » 03 Apr 2014, 06:38

Feeling good, pain level is negligible, such a release from my 6 months of hell! Am worried as the surgeon told me that he needed to cut into the muscle to "lay open"the fistula, he told me he would be "disappointed" if I suffered any incontinence issues. I am worried as I do notice a difference and feel much "looser" there and have not been able to control a few releases of wind. I will just hope that things improve as it is early days.

I was even able to push a little and feel absolutely no searing pain, this is great!
leanne27
Salt Bather

Postby Scientist2516 » 03 Apr 2014, 07:12

Fantastic news, Leanne!!!!!!

:stars: :fireworks: :stars: :fireworks: :stars: :fireworks: :stars:

Be patient - the rest will heal in time!
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Postby leanne27 » 09 Apr 2014, 07:45

2 days back at work and 2 weeks post surgery. Definite decline going back yesterday, pain and increased discharge and then today some blood. Not major but just disappointing after doing so well. Looks like I am not supposed to work! That would be good! Feeling overall positive still despite a little hiccough.
leanne27
Salt Bather

Postby Scientist2516 » 09 Apr 2014, 10:20

Oh gosh, Leanne - you need to take it easy. It's amazing how easy it is to strain the area. I used to get pain after washing the floor or other fairly light work.
No wonder my house is a tip - oh wait, it was a tip before the fissure.

Anyway, take care of yourself, baby yourself. Keep us posted!
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516