Buttox Diary

Developed a fissure after giving birth 10 months ago

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Buttox Diary

Postby Newmommy28 » 29 Jul 2014, 07:34

Hi, everyone,

So tomorrow will be Day 1 of my Botox diary. I am going to see a colorectal surgeon tomorrow afternoon to get my first (and hopefully only) round of Botox to heal this nasty fissure that doesn't want to heal. I'm both excited and nervous - excited to finally be able to move on from all of this, and nervous for the obvious reasons. I've got a little boy of my own whose diapers need changing, I really don't need to be worrying about changing my own! Ha!

Here is my back-story:

I gave birth to my son at the end of September, last year. I had a horrific labor, which I don't really need to go into detail about. I am almost certain, after reading others' postings on these forums, that I developed the fissure the beginning of November. I had a hard stool and there was a ton of blood in the toilet bowl - something that has never happened to me before. All thanks to my OB who told me "Yeah, it's okay to strain a little". Um, thanks but you are wrong!! I clearly wasn't drinking enough water and eating enough soluble fiber during such a hormonally topsy-turvy time as I should have been. Thanks, again OB, for not explaining to me the importance of this!! Oh well, what's done is done.

I was diagnosed with having a fissure the end of November by the first colorectal surgeon I saw. He gave me an Rx for Diltiazem for 6-8 weeks, told me to drink Citrucel, and eat lots of fiber to have soft "pooh-ps". (My husband and I still laugh about the way he pronounced 'poop'.) Anyway, this dude was wrong - my fissure was really bad and it was going to take much longer than that amount of time for it to heal, which is what I learned from the current doctor I'm seeing. He said fissures typically take 3-4 months to heal (sometimes longer) and this is the amount of time from the date you START TREATING IT, not from the first day symptoms appear. Something that had I known, I don't think I would have been so anxious about it in the very first stages.

So the creams didn't work. Neither did the Citrucel. In fact I was eating waaaay too much fiber, and the Citrucel was just making me go to the bathroom 3 times a day. Not good for the agony I was in. (I remember over Christmas-time being at my brother's house, sitting on the toilet with my hand covering my mouth trying not to scream, because of what felt like razor blades sloooowly coming out of my butt. The rest of the holiday was spent sitting on my hot water bottle. Not exactly what you want to remember your first Christmas with your son being like.) I am a very healthy eater and after learning I had a fissure I thought I just needed to up the veggies and fruits and grains. I was actually making the problem much worse for me. I needed to add things that other people on here said to stay away from, such as crackers, bananas, and yogurt. Not everything that works on here for one person may work for another.

Anyway, I saw 3 other doctors after this first guy, due to the frustration and lack of healing. I tried Rectiv (nitroglycerin) and Nifedipine. Nothing really seemed to help until I started taking Miralax every night - something I found out about from this forum. That was when things started to really improve. I think around April I somehow turned a corner and things started to improve. I was finally getting spurts of 2-3 weeks where I didn't have any pain at all. But, for some reason, the fissure would continue to come back for another 2-3 weeks and I would have pain again - both going to the toilet, and several hours after (spasms). I couldn't figure out what I was doing "wrong", but I realize now that I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm doing everything right. That is what's so frustrating. And that is why I've decided to have Botox.

I have done everything I can to avoid LIS. I'm thankful this is still an option but it is a last resort for me, especially since things with my fissure have improved so much compared to how they once were. So tomorrow will hopefully mark the beginning of an end to all this nonsense. I hope that I am able to share and encourage other's with my experience, especially those new moms on this forum. I know how difficult it is to be able to take care of yourself while you have a newborn. What is meant to be such a happy time is undoubtedly tainted with pain and anxiety about pain everyday. Hang on - we will all get through this!
Newmommy28
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Re: Buttox Diary

Postby Jbl22424 » 29 Jul 2014, 23:28

Lol, I love the title! So happy that you are taking the next step in your treatment and it was nice to read about your journey. Months ago I remember thinking of you on the date you were scheduled for surgery and I was so excited to hear about the outcome. I was only a month or two into my fissure journey and I was following your progress since we are both new mommies. I remember you had food poisoning and had to postpone it but it got me thinking about LIS for myself. I never thought I would do it it and then I did and I'm happy to be healed. I can't wait to hear about your success story, too. It's so unfortunate that some of us have to deal with this on top of the stress of a new baby. I can't wait for you to be rid of this problem. Congrats on your new start and keep us informed!!!
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Keesia » 30 Jul 2014, 01:18

I also love your title!

I'm happy for you that you'll get Botox, so you can say goodbye to the fissure. I'm interested to read your buttox diary.

Can I ask you, if you have the fissure in anterior or posterior line? I also had a difficult labor in spring and had some fissures after that. The most painful fissures are in the anterior line, but there is / have been fissures also in posterior line.

I'm sending you my best wishes! Hope you get rid of the fissure soon, so you can forget it and just enjoy your lovely family!

Jbl22424, can I ask also you, what kind of fissures did you have? Anterior or posterior? I'm so happy to hear you had LIS and it helped you to get your life back!
Keesia
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Jbl22424 » 30 Jul 2014, 17:49

Hey Keesia - I'm not actually sure where it was. If I had to guess, I think I'd say anterior. I would also get small re-fissures due to the tightness but those usually didn't last long. I always felt a radiating pain down my right leg so I thought it was on the right but I think my doc said it was on the top. Sorry, not very helpful! My fissure was from constipation during breastfeeding, not labor. I got it about 6-7 weeks after I gave birth and had it for 4 months before LIS. I actually went in for botox but gave her permission to do LIS if she saw a really nasty fissure that botox wouldn't heal.
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Newmommy28 » 30 Jul 2014, 18:57

Day 1

So I had my appointment this afternoon. It was very quick and my doctor was very reassuring. He examined me first, because at my last visit he said he could barely even see a fissure there. He told me it is possible that I have healed but am just experiencing recurrent spasms, and if that were the case, it would be more difficult to relieve my symptoms. Thankfully after the exam he told me the fissure IS there, although it is very small. (My assumption is that the fissure did heal at my last visit with him, and then I had another re-tear, which is what seems to keep happening to me every 2-3 weeks.)

He told me that I should know by Monday or Tuesday next week if the Botox will help or not. I guess if I'm still having painful bowel movements or spasms by that point then the Botox didn't "take" or something like that. He also said it will take 72 hours for it to have a full effect.

The actual injection was pretty uncomfortable, but it was so quick, it really was no problem. First he applied iodine and then he injected. It probably took 2 minutes.

I'm feeling pretty good right now. I had a little bit of stinging for the first 2 hours, probably at the injection site. Right now I am still having some pain, but it feels like the normal spasm-pain I usually have. I can still tense my muscles down there. My biggest concerns were/are incontinence and involuntarily passing wind but he reassured me the likelihood of that happening is very slim. He basically injected into the involuntary muscles so I should still be able to do my kegel exercises (another concern of mine). The injection should not affect your pelvic floor muscles.

I will keep everyone posted!
Newmommy28
Salt Bather

Postby Newmommy28 » 30 Jul 2014, 19:01

Keesia-

Thanks for the reply! My fissure is posterior. I hope your fissure(s) are healing!?

JBL-

Thanks for all of your encouragement. You have been such a great support during this difficult time. Hopefully I will be healed from this soon and can join you on the other side! And you have a great memory - I thought we had food poisoning but it turned out to be the norovirus! Not fun! Will keep you posted tomorrow. :)
Newmommy28
Salt Bather

Postby Jbl22424 » 30 Jul 2014, 22:40

Glad to hear the appointment went well! And looking forward to your further progress. I think 7 days is a pretty short window to measure success. My doc had recommended waiting a month to see if things improved. I know there are others who have healed from Botox on here so you are in good company. Best of luck!
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Keesia » 31 Jul 2014, 02:44

Jbl22424, thank you for your answer! I also have radiating pains - in my bum, thighs and sometimes even in my vagina. I also feel like I had a spasm in my whole pelvic floor, not just in my rectal. I think it's very helpful to hear that LIS healed you, and I'm happy for you!
Newmommy28, I'm happy to hear you had the injection and everything went well! I really hope you'll get rid of pain soon and get fully healed. I'm also interested if you are still breastfeeding, is Botox an option while breastfeeding?
Thanks also for your answer! I think my fissures are better than they were last week when I had re-tears. Now there's not so much pain and the pain is different; it's spasm-pain, I think.
Keesia
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Newmommy28 » 31 Jul 2014, 07:24

Day 2: Post-1st bowel movement

I know the day has barely started but I wanted to post anyway. So, last night went pretty well. I felt pretty good and didn't have much trouble going to sleep. This morning, however, things are much more sore than they were yesterday. I imagine that's normal considering I had several shots up my butt - the pain is similar to how it feels after you get a flu shot - achy and sore. I emailed my doctor (one of the reasons I like him so much is he gave me his email and responds fairly quickly) and he reassured me this is normal but should resolve quickly. I'm hoping by tomorrow but we shall see.

I woke up at 5:00 a.m., probably because I was very anxious about having that first bm. It actually wasn't that bad. It stung, but that has been the norm for me with this fissure. I definitely feel a little worse after - a tad more sore. I think it's hard for me to really differentiate between normal fissure pain and pain from the actual injection. I think I am hyper-aware of everything going on down there so I'd imagine that's not helping the situation.

Keesia-

I also feel like I have spasms in my pelvic floor, even right now as I'm writing this. At first I thought it was from the fissure, then I wondered if it was just normal childbirth stuff. I think it definitely is from the fissure, though. During those 2-3 week spurts where I wasn't having any butt issues I noticed my pelvic floor felt normal. I'm really glad to hear you are having a better week. In answer to your question about breastfeeding, my physician told me it is ok. I will say that right now I am pumping and dumping just because I don't feel right about nursing just yet. I will keep you posted on that.

Jbl-

I think you are right about giving it more than 7 days. I think I should find some relief in that window (I hope!). I'm trying not to be anxious but it's hard!
Newmommy28
Salt Bather

Postby Jbl22424 » 31 Jul 2014, 12:39

Keesia - my lactation consultant said botox was OK while breastfeeding. Newmommy - some people report feeling as if they were kicked in the butt after botox for a few days to a week but I think it subsides soon. Glad to hear things are going well!
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist