Rachael 1984 LIS Diary

LIS Recovery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Rachael 1984 LIS Diary

Postby Rachael 1984 » 18 Sep 2014, 08:17

Hi all. I'm home after my LIS.
Day of LIS.

In hospital at 7am. I was called through at 7.30. Nerves were kicking in at this point... :groan: checked over and I told them I'd been I'll with a cold. Took my temperature and all okay. Could go ahead. Really pleased when I was told I was first on the list, no waiting and getting more anxious. :affraid: :affraid:

CRS comes to see me. Asks me how I've been and explains what he's going to do.... I'm going to cut 1cm in, as the pressures get lower higher up into the internal sphincter. Now the main aim is to cut the right amount of muscle fibres which I'll judge when I get in there..... I'm trusting him. Not a full cut, as not to risk leakage, but enough to loosen the muscle... I ask a few questions which he happily answers.
Go down at 9.20 am and back on ward for 10.30. I eat and drink after about an hour. When I need a pee, it's awkward and sore!! Nice net pants with gauze stuck up my bottom with a blue dressing over the top..... :wtf:
Home for 2.30 and bed. Very tired and drained! Dreading BM...... :poop:

CRS did see me after the op and he said all went well and he'd see me in 8 weeks...
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Re: Rachael 1984 LIS Diary

Postby Rachael 1984 » 18 Sep 2014, 08:29

Day 1...

CRS advice.
Bath after every BM.
No salt in bath, plain water....
Pain should start getting better by weekend.
Keep clean and dry.
Pain meds every 3-4 hours...
Gauze should exit on BM. I had to remove it(not nice) :groan:

Up at six like clock work for BM... OMG. Pain from incision site was bad! Worse than I expected.... Nearly hit the roof! Cold sweat and nearly passing out with a cold towel over me. Straight into bath after incident. Now last time I had anaesthetic I had this reaction. Back into bed to sleep(again) can anyone say the first BM after LIS was that bad...?

Now I'm passing gas which feels silent and feels like it's BM (it's not though). Hard to clean up and incision site is throbbing and feels stingy. Had to clean up a bit too after gas... On,y a tiny bit, this is freaking me out. I hope I've made the right decision doing this LIS.

Questions for my lovely friends.
Is it hard to Clean up after BM?
How long to take sitz baths? CRS said a few days?....
Anyone had gas like this?
Keeping dry? I'm using a cotton pad to dry up and then leaving air to get to it?

Rachael.
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Rachael 1984

Postby Scientist2516 » 18 Sep 2014, 08:33

You did it! Well done - you survived the LIS and your first BM............sorry it was so painful :( .

Not having had LIS, I can't give advice. It sounds as though you are doing everything right.
I just want to congratulate you and wish you a rapid recovery.

:Rock: :smilyhug:
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby Rachael 1984 » 18 Sep 2014, 08:36

Thanks scientist....xxxx

Forgot to add.... Because of the EUA the external hem is swelled up and it looks like I've been battered! Also one of the fissures is open a bit. It does look like it's been messed with, so not sure if he cleaned it up. Help! I want this pain to be over with....
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Rachael 1984

Postby owmybum » 18 Sep 2014, 11:07

I'm so glad you are home safe and sound...... Now for the recovery!
Take it easy.... Don't lift a finger..... And heal heal heal!!

:smilyhug: :smilyhug: :Rock: :smilyhug:
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Roidsfizzman » 18 Sep 2014, 12:20

Hi Rachel,

Glad to see that your surgery went well.

Do not wipe the area clean after a BM. Dap the area clean and do final clean in the bath. You can do the BM cleaning bath up to a couple weeks if needed, but at some point you should discontinue the bath, so the incision site can heal.

Be careful with the gauze pads as they can cause you to have a raw bun. Do not worry about a little leakage after gas on day one as it is very common. I also had a lot of gas after LIS, and the bun area was sore and hurt like hell for about 3 days. If your doctor trimmed the fissure, you are to have some discomfort, but it will help the fissure heal.
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby sotiredofthis » 18 Sep 2014, 18:32

Racheal,

I'm so glad the surgery is over for you and you can get on to the healing!! I didn't have any gauze inside and I didn't have a bm for 4 days which helped but I was getting worried about constipation. My first one was diarrhea that went on for 2 days due to the mineral oil. Not pretty.

Roids has great advice above. I didn't use anything on my bum as it was too tender. I wasn't allowed to take sitz baths either. Clean and dry was my advice as well. I was very swollen after surgery and would lay an ice pack across my bum while laying on the couch.

I would just dab after a bm like Roids said and then I used this to clean the rest of the way: http://www.amazon.com/Brondell-GS-70-GoSpa-Travel-Bidet/dp/B008CSDKSQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411083012&sr=8-1&keywords=portable+bidet I hope that comes through so you can see it.

Anything other questions, please ask us. It's all so new and I know you're worried. Hang in there. I'm praying for you!!! :smilyhug:
sotiredofthis
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 33

Postby Savaici » 18 Sep 2014, 18:57

All the very best to you Rachel. Glad it's over and now it's the road to complete recovery for you. Thinking of you :smilyhug: :smilyhug: .
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby Jbl22424 » 19 Sep 2014, 00:27

Yes, first Bm was very painful due to the incision. My first Bm was also followed by bad spasms. The gas thing is totally normal and goes back to what you are used to after a few days. Did you ever read davo's surgery diary? I learned about it there so wasn't freaked out after my LIS. It will take a while to calm down. You definitely made the right decision. You will be feeling better in no time. Congrats!
Developed fissure from constipation due to breastfeeding 7 weeks after delivery (Jan 2014)
Nifedepine
Colace
Magnesium
Miralax - godsend
Nitro - some improvement
LIS (May 2014) - cured for 3 months then setback
Diltiazem
Feeling better for now
Jbl22424
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby Rachael 1984 » 19 Sep 2014, 02:36

Hi everyone.
Thankyou all so much for your support. It really helps to talk to you all and you understand!

Day 2

BM wasn't quite as bad.... Still painful, but manageable. The pain afterwards is a constant throb and soreness. Having my daily porridge then taking pain relief. It feels weird too after BM almost like my bottom is going to fall out. Weird... Maybe it's because it's looser back there.

Thanks Roids, great advice. How long did you take the baths for? I just worry about the area not being clean after BM. Would it be best to just shower then after a few days?

JBL, I have read some of Davo's diary, it's great, and quite funny too. The gas last night was pretty bad and it made me really sore, so bad that I just went to bed and slept to get away from it! I am sleeping which is good. My body has been in such a stressed state fro so long now, that I feel exhausted now I've had the surgery and I feel like it's going to take a while for me to recover. I don't intend going back to work until I feel a lot better with the bum area and my mental and physical state....

STOT, thanks for the link. Xxx hope you're okay.
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Rachael 1984