Asdf Bi Lateral Flap Diary

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: Asdf Bi Lateral Flap Diary

Postby asdf123456 » 13 Oct 2014, 11:57

Thanks. I bought the miralax but I didn't take it because I was scared of developing a dependency. I believe it works, but I was scared that in a few weeks when I decided to stop taking it that I might have trouble pooping. Colace is OK to take for long periods of time, so I decided to just stick with that, although I guess it didn't do the trick for me. The bad poop really frustrates me because I literally plan out every bite of food into my mouth to get the perfect mix for the perfect poop.

I have not been taking any pain meds. I'm out of the toradol they prescribed. They said I could take ibuprofen, but I don't think it's necessary or helpful. My resting pain is quite manageable, like a 4-5. I am fine with it and totally expected it. But I get these momentary muscle spasms that just kill for 1 second and make me scream. I've had spasms with prior surgery, but nothing like this, and it seems to be getting worse. It's just a 1 second spike in pain to about a 20 on a scale of 1-10. I don't believe ibuprofen would help with that at all because the pain is momentary and so severe.

In my hysteria, I made an appt with my doctor's colleague to take a look. I thought at the time that I might have an infection and wanted a doctor to examine me, but now I'm thinking it will just be a waste of time. I've got a few hours to decide whether or not to cancel.
asdf123456
VIP

Topics: 7

Postby suzyljank » 13 Oct 2014, 12:26

Hi, Miralax is not a stimulant laxative and is safe to use the rest of your life. The surgery I had was performed to relieve some of the stenosis and help the fissure heal. I had severe stenosis, the after treatment for that is some kind of stool softener for the rest of my life. I found colace ineffective and milk of magnesia too unpredictable. I preferred miralax and my surgeon agreed. I also have to do dilation once a day because all surgeries cause some scar tissue and the dilation keeps the skin stretchable. You have to understand that surgery can help you tremedously but your butt will never been exactly like before and you'll have to make some compromises. I'm like you, I didn't use the pain meds much, may half a tablet at bedtime but mostly ibuprofen. They gave me valium too and that helps with the spasms. You might want to keep your doctors appointment just to give yourself some peace of mind. I can't tell you how many times I panicked. I had one incident about 5 weeks out of surgery where I felt something warm coming out. It turned out to be a lot of blood. I called the surgeon and I had to do a few things to try to stop the bleeding before I went to the ER, thankfully the last thing we tried worked and I didn't have to go. The path to recovery is a little slow but in the end it's worth it. Good luck Suzy.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby asdf123456 » 13 Oct 2014, 12:48

Wow I guess I was wrong about Miralax causing addiction. I'll give it a shot today then. I'll start with a small dose right before bed and see how that goes. I'm so scared I might have upset my stitches by pooping today. And the pain is near blinding during my butt spasms. I think I have been pretty good with pain. My hemmie surgery hurt a lot, but by 3 days post/op, it was tolerable and the spasms were rare and not nearly this painful. All the other surgeries were less painful than that. This is different.
asdf123456
VIP

Postby suzyljank » 13 Oct 2014, 13:24

I'm so sorry you having the spasms, those are awful. If you did pop a stitch that can happen. Don't stress about it. Just keep your bms soft. That's really important and the most important thing is to keep the area clean so you don't get an infection. My husband would check for me and send me back if I didn't clean good enough. Don't use toilet paper either. It can leave a residue which can harbor bacteria. I rinsed with a hand held shower and did short sitz baths. Wait until you get to the stage when the stitches are loose and itchy, that was so annoying, I had my CRS take some of the stitches out at the time. I aslo had some areas that were healing slower than others and I think he used silver nitrate on them. That really gets your attention. It just takes time so try to be patient. I'm 18 months out from my surgery and I still rarely use toilet paper. I rinse or use a wet wipe. Things do get better though just hang in there. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby asdf123456 » 13 Oct 2014, 13:30

I couldn't imagine using toilet paper. I use rinsing and baths. I think I will go to the doctor to just take a look because this pain is ungodly and seems to be only getting worse.
asdf123456
VIP

Postby owmybum » 13 Oct 2014, 14:07

Yes, I agree, no harm in getting someone to take a look.
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Roidsfizzman » 13 Oct 2014, 15:27

ASDF,

I used MiraLax daily for 2 years. After my LIS, I was having stool urgency issues and my doctor wanted me to try Colace. When I switched from MiraLax to Colace, there were no issues getting off MiraLax. It looks like I am a lifer on Colace or Mira Lax. I have been told by three different doctors that MiraLax is safe long term.
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby asdf123456 » 13 Oct 2014, 16:44

Ok I must have mistaken it for another type of laxative. I'll take a dose tonight and see how it goes.

I saw a colleague of my CRS because he is away. He didn't find anything wrong. He said the stitches look good and there doesn't seem to be a sign of infection other than my pain. So that's a relief. I don't think he could see if the inside portion of the stitches held, but from what he saw, he said it looked good actually.
asdf123456
VIP

Postby woundedspirit » 13 Oct 2014, 21:41

Hi asdf. I finally have a chance to catch up on how you are doing and I am sorry to see things have not been going too well. I would most certainly be taking the Mirilax. I swear by it. Try to eat some salad everyday too. That helps me tremendously. Don't ever hesitate to call your doctor. If you need more pain meds or if you think valium would help with those spasms just give them a call. I have found that a heating pad helps a lot with the spasms. Glad to see you went in to get checked. It is always best. I can't imagine having a BM without having to push. No matter how thin the stools I have to push or its not coming out. That must be due to the stenosis. I am truely hoping that that won't be the case after I have the surgery. I am sure you will get those BM where you need them to be soon. I believe the Mirilax could help a lot. Hoping for a better day for you tomorrow.
Hemorrhoid Surgery
Scar Tissue
2 Anal Fissures
Failure of All Topical Treatments
Failed LIS
[size=85]EUA and Fissurectomy
Hoping to avoid Flap Surgery
woundedspirit
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 12

Postby asdf123456 » 14 Oct 2014, 10:48

So I drank just about a full dose of the miralax last night. I didn't notice a difference in my poop today. I had to nudge it out again. It's possible I just need a few days of miralax before it kicks in fully... But I was thinking it is also probably because I can't sit on the toilet like I am used to sitting, with my chest almost touching my knees. Because it's so painful just to sit, I have to sit kind of upright, and it might be the reason the poop isn't just sliding right out anymore.
asdf123456
VIP