Still having fissures since LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Still having fissures since LIS

Postby Lolo » 07 Jun 2018, 09:03

Hi Hedgehogbum,
I’ve had two LIS - the first time, the doctor only did a “nick” (a small cut). Wondering if that’s what your doctor did and that’s why you’re still so tight? I had to have a second LIs with larger cut.
That’s an interesting article - never heard of dilation with finger - only with dilators ( the thought of which scares me)! Finger sounds more reasonable. Did you do it for 10 min like they did in the article?
Please keep us posted with how it goes!
Lolo
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Deleted User 7114 » 07 Jun 2018, 12:43

Lolo, how far apart were your LIS surgeries? Did you heal at all after the first one? I had the weird experience that I felt tighter after my surgery than I did before. It feels like another muscle tightened up to compensate. My fissure did heal quite quickly after surgery but the wound took about 12 weeks and the surgery created hemorrhoids that I didn’t have before. I now can’t tell what is causing the pain.

My BMs still sting/burn, but they are nothing like my pre-surgery days, and if I had to, I could live like this as long as it doesn’t get worse. But I’m still looking for a solution because I’d love to get back to my pain-free days.

For the dilation, I did 10 minutes, but I have seen anywhere from 6-10 minutes at a time in different posts on this forum. I’m going to do 10 minutes twice a day.
Deleted User 7114

Postby Lolo » 07 Jun 2018, 12:54

My LIS surgeries were 2 1/2 months apart. The first one didn’t work at all, and surgeon said he didn’t do full cut because I had lots going on in there (had 2 thrombosed hemerroids excised 2 months prior, during which I believe I acquired the fissure). So he tried smaller cut, hoping it would be enough. But I needed the full thing two months later. Once I had the second LIS, it healed very quickly.

It’s so hard to tell the difference between hemerroids and fissures. I also have residual scar tisssue from having 3 anal surgeries in four months. So I have discomfort when I sit for more than an hour and bring a cushion everywhere I go!

I’m with you...living like this would be tolerable but I live in constant fear it will get worse like last year!
Lolo
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 7114 » 07 Jun 2018, 13:05

Oh Katie, that’s bad news. I hope it heals fast for you. Are you in as much pain as pre-LIS days when you tear?
Deleted User 7114

Postby Deleted User 7114 » 07 Jun 2018, 13:18

Oh wow you’ve been through a lot! I agree, cushions are our friends! I’m also at the point where I take meals with me when I go to visit friends or family. I’ve told friends I had intestinal surgery and have a strict diet. It’s partially true and most people don’t ask too many questions, but I now know what I can and can’t eat for soft BMs and there is no way I. I’m leaving that to chance when I go to other people’s houses!
Deleted User 7114

Postby Lolo » 07 Jun 2018, 14:00

I’m with you on the food thing! I am so careful! No more beef for me!
Lolo
Fibre Addict

Postby Katie » 09 Jun 2018, 13:16

Yes I notice when I have my period it feels sore as well!!! My new tear has healed that was less then a week! So that's good and I find I get sore if I go to the toliet for the 2nd time in the day!
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Katie » 09 Jun 2018, 13:20

No pain is not the same it just feels a little sore! Coconut oil is my friend x
Katie
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Lolo » 09 Jun 2018, 13:28

Hi Katie,
I want to try coconut oil - just bought some.
Curious when and how you use it - before BM? After? #times per day? Just on outside of anus or internally?
I’m using nefedipine twice per day and also not sure how long after nefedipine I can use coconut oil.
Any tips will be very helpful!
Thanks Katie!
Lolo
Fibre Addict

Postby Lolo » 09 Jun 2018, 13:30

I’m so frustrated. I’m was healing well and then yesterday had a hard BM and no idea why! Taking stool softeners, Restorlax (Canadian version of MiraLAX) and Metamucil. I eat so carefully.
Lolo
Fibre Addict

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?