Still having fissures since LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Still having fissures since LIS

Postby burningbum30 » 23 Jun 2018, 20:00

Hi Lolo
Not sure if my earlier post got submitted......
My pain is a burning sensation at the upper end.which lasts for a good 6 to 8 hrs I got a few spasms which lasted for about a few seconds. The burning is the issue with me which keeps shifting from the right to the back to left. Has anyone else experienced this. It’s so frustrating. In one of your posts u mentioned u were from Canada me too. PM me if you want.
I have my appointment with the general surgeon in about a month. You know how it is in Canada.
Can’t wait to have my life back.
How long has it been since your second surgery and did u experience any incontinence.
Hoping u held soon as well.
burningbum30
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby burningbum30 » 23 Jun 2018, 20:01

Sorry heal soon
burningbum30
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Lolo » 23 Jun 2018, 20:16

Hi burningbum30,
Not sure what the pm function does but I will try it now! (Is it like a text?) If it doesn’t work I’ll reply here later.
Lolo
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby xxstaciexx » 24 Jun 2018, 13:30

Hi.
I had LIS Surgery almost 2 years ago. At first it was a bit sore when going to the toilet. I have IBS-D so I seem to spend more time on the toilet than off lol.
I now have a fissure again!! It’s so bloody painful. Xxx
xxstaciexx
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby Lolo » 24 Jun 2018, 13:42

Hi xxstaciexx,

Sorry to hear that you are in the same boat :( And yes it’s bloody painful, isn’t it? A pita that’s hard to describe to someone who hasn’t suffered from it before.

It’s pretty clear that my surgeon’s claim that it would be “very unlikely” to have fissures again post LIS was not accurate, since there seem to be several of you in the same situation as me!

Do any of you have advice for sitting? I need to sit to do my work and it’s so uncomfortable. I’ve tried several pillows which help a bit but still not great. I’ve heard that sitting doesnt harm the fissure. Does anyone know if that’s accurate?
Lolo
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 7114 » 28 Jun 2018, 01:13

Lolo, I’m in the same boat as you. Pain during BMs but I’m pretty much ok afterwards. If I notice the burning starting up, I pay extra attention to relax my sphincter. I often find it has tightened up involuntarily. If I pay attention to constantly relax it over the next 30-60 mins, it stops the pain from increasing and even starts to decrease it a little. It’s the technique I use at work when I can’t just sit in a sitz bath
Deleted User 7114

Postby mike1971 » 28 Jun 2018, 17:51

I have this same burning , pressure , and tightness like pain 5 or 6 hours after a bowel movement. The pain could last another 4 or 5 hours after that.

I've been experiencing this same pain for 4 months now and I've recently figured out it only occurs after a bowel movement.

I have a bm every 48 hours lately (feel constipated) and the second day after bowel movement is always pain free.

I believe my sphincter muscle spasms and tightens up after the bm which is why I'm experiencing the pain.

Odd thing is my surgeon (nor 3 other ER doctors) are able to locate any sign of a fissure.

So I suppose it's possible to have muscle spasms even though you may not have a fissure.
Last edited by mike1971 on 28 Jun 2018, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Lolo » 28 Jun 2018, 18:27

Hi mike1971,
Have you tried any of the medications that relax the sphincter muscle (eg Diltizem or Nifedipine)? Even though they can visualize a fissure, if it a sphincter spasm then maybe one of those meds would help?
And what you describe is exactly how I felt with my fissure - BM wasn’t too bad but pain started about 20 min after BM when sphincter started to spasm, and lasted for 6-8 hrs.
Lolo
Fibre Addict

Postby mike1971 » 28 Jun 2018, 19:02

Hi Lolo

Thanks for your reply. My surgeon prescribed diltiazem mixture in Vaseline. I picked it up from the pharmacist and applied a small pea size amount on the outside of the sphincter.

I had burning and stinging two hours later which lasted about 14 or 15 hours.

Haven't experienced that before with a topical. I'm afraid to try it again.

Have you had any experience with it?
mike1971
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Lolo » 28 Jun 2018, 19:18

I’ve uses diltizem and nifedipine before, and no burning either time (just burning and very intense pain from the fissure). Howeve, I know those meds do have common side effects (bad headaches are pretty common). The side efffects usually go away after the first few days of use. No idea if burning could be side effect but I would talk to your pharmacist or Dr before you abaondon it completely.
Lolo
Fibre Addict

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?