LIS Diary post op

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

LIS Diary post op

Postby DarkJediFury » 26 Nov 2021, 09:57

Surgery Day - Thursday 25th November 2021

To say I was nervous was a understatement but the consultant visited me shortly after arrival to talk to me about the procedure and allow me to ask questions on it and the recovery. He told me he may not do LIS depending on whether the muscle was in spasm or not but would only give a botox injection if it was not. His registrar also told me I'd be in less pain immediately, that after about 5 days the pain should be gone completely and that the only pain would be during BM's for a week or two.

2 hours later and I went down for the op, night night and wake up about 45 minutes later.

I feel less pain than before with just the fissure already, probably a 3/10 where it was 7/10 when i went down. Wasn't able to have a BM before the op which concerned me a lot.

There is a lot of wadding in the exceptionally stylish mesh undies they've put me in just to soak anything up.

CRS visits to tell me he did a small botox injection and a 15% LIS incision. Apparently the maximum they can do is 50% but he wanted to be conservative since the fissure was showing signs of starting to heal anyway. He also said he has made a small stitch in the fissure which he doesnt usually do, but with the minimal LIS and botox, the stitch should hold and allow the fissure to heal quicker. Mum and Dad brought me home where my 17 year old is looking after me. Very little pain, taking ibuprofen 4 hourly, have antibiotic tablets to take 3 times per day and passing water without issue. 1/2 sachet of Laxido before bed (full sachet makes for very loose stools for me)

Dinner of gluen free protein oats. Drinking like a fish and still seem dehydrated.

Day 1 of recovery - 26th November 2021

Bit of an on and off night, woke up 45 minutes before i could take more ibuprofen with fissure pain (i think!) and tossed and turned for a while. Took ibuprofen at 2 am and nodded off as they kicked in. Was awake again with the same pain this morning before taking more.

Sitz bath with epsom salts before breakfast. Very soothing.

Breakfast: 1/2 bowl All Bran, 1/2 of gluten free oat museli
Snack: 1/2 Trek bar
Lunch: Wholegrain brown rice and tin of tuna.

Had my first BM this afternoon. Ouch. Felt very rough despite being low volume and not hard. pain went from 4/10 before to 9/10 for about 45 minutes afterward. Sitz bath after cleaning up with moist toilet tissue. Few spots of fresh red blood but little else. Dressing placed inside the anus came out with the BM without issue.

Currently drinking orange squash sitting on a hot water bottle and pain has gone down to a 2 or 3/10.

Not sure what I'll have for dinner, dont want to overdo the fibre. Will see what the rest of the family are having.
DarkJediFury

Sep 2017 Bilateral inguinal hernia
Jun 2018 Epigastric hernia
Hemmies & AF
Feb 2020 Diltiazem
Jun 2020 Botox
Nov 2020 Diltizem
Jun 2021 Hem banding/botox
Oct 2021 Diltiazem
Nov 2021 LIS/botox
May 2022 RH Inguinal hernia
DarkJediFury
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Re: LIS Diary post op

Postby Conifer2 » 26 Nov 2021, 11:40

Hi there - welcome to the other side! hope you are doing well. Sounds like you got a whole range of different things yesterday, really hoping you have a quick and smooth recovery.

Things are pretty good with me though I think the antibiotics screwed my system a bit and finding things are a little bit too formed now I’ve finished them even with laxido. Keep an eye out for that!
Conifer2
Salt Bather

Postby nadochalove » 26 Nov 2021, 19:35

I am considering lis as well, I am so sick of reading all the horror stories. I can't live like this anymore. I have hemmorroides as well, my life sucks. Please keep posting this gives hope to many people.
nadochalove

Postby DarkJediFury » 27 Nov 2021, 17:29

Day 2

Ended up having a second BM yesterday evening, just small but quite painful rose to 8/10 afterwards but that dropped quicker this time after the sitz bath.

This morning I was woken with fissure pain around 6 am which didn't stop until a sitz bath and ibuprofen.

Breakfast gluten free protein oats with dark chocolate
Snack Trek bar
Lunch 2 eggs scrambled
Dinner sausage mash and baked beans. Hope that's not going to be too much. But nervous about stools returning to regular volume whilst still healing.

Didn't drive but went with my son who's learning to drive to drop my daughter at football training and had a short walk round supermarket for a few bits. No issues at all, took it really easy. No pain sitting in the car either which I was pleased with. Was a bit tired afterwards so spent the afternoon on the sofa.

Small BM when I returned followed by sits bath and pain went away even quicker this time.

Got to this evening and just taken ibuprofen to help avoid pain whilst in bed but realize I haven't needed to take any since this morning. Pretty good. Not working training them but didn't notice. Still on course of metronidazole anti biotics and for next 3 days.

Lots of flatulence today but my wife says it's nothing unusual! Lol

It's going well. Fingers crossed this continues.
DarkJediFury

Hemmies & AF
Feb 2020 Diltiazem
Jun 2020 Botox
Nov 2020 Diltizem
Oct 2021 Diltiazem
Nov 2021 LIS/botox
DarkJediFury
Salt Bather

Postby Conifer2 » 29 Nov 2021, 03:07

I’m really pleased things are going well for you! Im hoping this will be us on the path to a normal life for gods now! Things going well here - bms less and less scratchy each day which I assume means the fissure is healing and have not blood for a few days. And normal day to day life has resumed more or less!
Conifer2
Salt Bather

Postby DarkJediFury » 29 Nov 2021, 06:52

Thanks Conifer.

Day 3

Day started as before with pain when i woke. Had a sitz bath to soothe the pain which helped and then ate breakfast with black coffee.

The botox injection kicked in today and I ended up having 4 separate BM's. If you've had botox you'd know that it considerably relaxes the involuntary sphincter so all 4 times I went from not feeling like I needed to go to 'Get me to the porcelain throne right now!'. Unfortunately wasn't able to clear my bowels which lead to the 4 separate BM's. Firmer but not properly formed and more slightly constipated like, in that they were pebble like. Due to going 4 times i was in a bit more pain and discomfort than the day before, but i think it's the incision not the fissure which is really encouraging.

Short journey out in the car with my eldest driving (he's learning) to drop my 12 year old daughter to her football match and pickup my 15 year old from his football match and despite not driving myself, I was quite tired afterward.

Breakfast: All bran and gluten free oat museli, black coffee
Lunch: Trek Bar and Alpro Yogurt
Snacks: 2-3 cups of tea with oat milk, gluten free biscuits
Dinner: Roast beef slice, carrots, broccoli, potato, peas.

Still taking metronidazole, 2 days left.
Ibuprofen twice that day.

The pain is so much less than before surgery already and BM's easier too. No spasms at all.
DarkJediFury

Hemmies & AF
Feb 2020 Diltiazem
Jun 2020 Botox
Nov 2020 Diltizem
Oct 2021 Diltiazem
Nov 2021 LIS/botox
DarkJediFury
Salt Bather

Postby DarkJediFury » 01 Dec 2021, 04:44

Day 4

Woke with no pain whatsoever this morning which was great however started to feel some pain to the right of my groin which I'll get to later.

BM as soon as I woke and was a lot more formed than previously, however was softer than previous day's and so was more scratchy to pass and took a lot of cleaning up. Seems a little bit of seepage afterward but stopped after a while and I just needed to clean up again . Sitz bath after the BM and had another an hour later. Could be the amount of fibre I consume creating a lot of stool to pass which doesn't really help.

Still feeling the incision, it feels sore rather than painful, like a cut or graze that gets rubbed. But the fissure pain is all but gone.

Breakfast: All bran with gluten free oat museli, black coffee
Lunch: wholegrain rice, tuna and soy sauce
Dinner: roast chicken, peas, mash
Snacks: Nairn gluten free biscuits, 3 cups of tea with oat milk
No walks or journeys in the car today but will try to drive on day 5 and see how I get on.

On to the groin pain... Firstly 3 years ago I had bilateral inguinal hernia surgery with mesh repair. All successful but had pain for 9 months afterward. 6months ago my dog pulled me off my feet and I shattered my collarbone into 3 and had an ORIF surgery, am still in rehab and have the plate in there. Now the pain is gone from the fissure I am feeling discomfort in the right area when the hernia was. I suspect that the impact that shattered my shoulder has also re opened the hernia. Just feels like I'm falling apart at the moment! Docs appointment by phone today to triage and I expect another visit to the hospital is on the cards.

Hope these are helping people considering LIS. Update on today will be posted tomorrow.
DarkJediFury

Hemmies & AF
Feb 2020 Diltiazem
Jun 2020 Botox
Nov 2020 Diltizem
Oct 2021 Diltiazem
Nov 2021 LIS/botox
DarkJediFury
Salt Bather

Postby Conifer2 » 01 Dec 2021, 04:55

Hi there - it sounds like you are having a similar recovery to what I did. I also had scratchiness for about 1.5 weeks but at the weekend there it suddenly stopped. Literally overnight. Still have awareness when going but no real scratchy feeling.
Also I found the antibiotics screwed up my stomach a bit and things were really very formed even with 2 laxido sachets a day. Only now are things getting more normal with the laxido so just keep an eye out for that.
I am also going multiple times a day to loo. Mostly it’s twice but often 3-4+. Not sure if that’s just things settling after surgery or not but do wish I could go back to once a day like before (though no pain when going or after so would rather that than what I had preLIS).
Sorry to hear about all the other health dramas you are having. Hopefully this will soon be one less to have to worry about!
Conifer2
Salt Bather

Postby Rich44 » 01 Dec 2021, 13:42

Doing a day to day journal is a great idea! Sounds like you are going to be all right. 15% seems like a big incision. I thought it was usually 6%. I have no idea how big my LIS was but it worked and a year later everything is still as it should be. Congrats on your new life!
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of March 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby DarkJediFury » 02 Dec 2021, 03:21

Day 5

Woke with zero pain. ZERO!

Had a BM shortly after getting up and then about an hour later, scratchy feel to it again and a little discomfort afterward but that goes after 20-30 minutes now and is only 2/10. Sitz bath after each BM and taking some time to clean up afterward due to the softer stool, I assume that's the laxative.

I only take 1/2 a sachet of Laxido because its correct for my body, I am also drinking 1 to 2 litres of water per day on top of the tea and coffee.

I had little or no pain during the day so went for a walk to pickup a form for Ultrasound referral from my GP to the hospital. They think the impact has indeed opened my hernia's and I'm only feeling them now the fissure pain is gone. Ultrasound to see. *exhasperated but determined to get this all sorted*

The walk was fine, just a mile and felt okay afterward.

Decided to have a short drive to drop the daughter to football training which was only 5 minutes. First time in my car with almost no pain in 6 months! Was a little uncomfortable afterward because the car seat seems to put more pressure directly on the sphincter area than other seats/chairs/sofas.

Not much else to say really. Getting less uncomfortable day by day, pain from the fissure i think is gone, and the pain from the fissure never seems to get higher than a 3/10 after a BM.

Very pleased.

Might try to drive a little more today and will have another walk. Considering working from Monday, but from home. Still has me sitting most of the day doing IT support but I can do it from my sofa if needed.
DarkJediFury

Hemmies & AF
Feb 2020 Diltiazem
Jun 2020 Botox
Nov 2020 Diltizem
Oct 2021 Diltiazem
Nov 2021 LIS/botox
DarkJediFury