LIS Diary post op

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS Diary post op

Postby DarkJediFury » 28 Jan 2022, 05:27

Hi @worstyear and everyone else. Long one since its my first update in a while.

Tough couple of weeks with the wife coming down with covid, but the family are out of the other side of that now and she is recovering well if still having a migraine like headache each day.

My recovery is still proceeding very slowly. I'm at the point now where not much changes and my worst days are still pretty good.

On the whole my food is like this most days (all gluten and wheat free I might add):

Breakfast
Proetin oats and dark cholocate
Black coffee or coffee with oat milk

Midmorning
protein oat bar

Lunch
Wholegrain rice with tuna
or
Noodles with tuna

Afternoon
coffee with ginger biscuits

Dinner
whatever we decide to cook! Seriously I am eating whatever I want in the evenings.
several cups of tea

Over the course of the day approx 1.5-2 litres of water. This is essential.

Before bed, half a sachet of Laxido

On the whole this is keeping me going nicely, occasionally i have some yougurt too. I rise around 5:30am and excercise my shoulder which is still healing from its break. First BM of the day around 8am which is firm and normally formed, but then I have another 1 or 2 BM's in the few hours after which are softer which makes it a little more uncomfortable, although it still seems to be improving week on week.

I have had 1 day where I had very loose stools which caused me to bleed again and was very uncomfortable but not painful.

I am getting a little discharge every other day but again, that seems to be lessening.

Fewer sitz baths now and when at work I take moist toilet tissue with me to help with cleaning up well. Over wiping with normal toilet tissue certainly irritates the area and I end up with a few spots of weeping. Again, getting better.

Unfortunately I am waiting for another surgery, this time to repair the inguinal hernia which they confirmed reopened due to the impact of the shoulder break. The worst thing about that is, I end up constipated for 3 days afterward, but with the long waiting times, I expect the LIS to have fully healed by then.

End of Feb for by CRS follow up but only by telephone. Dont expect they'll want to see me again unless something is bad.

Stay healthy everyone.
Last edited by DarkJediFury on 20 Feb 2022, 12:39, edited 1 time in total.
DarkJediFury
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby DarkJediFury » 11 Feb 2022, 02:50

Not the best of weeks...

So it's week 12 and the botox injection seems to be wearing off completely since I can feel a lot more tightness in the area. Unfortunately this has lead to the return of some pain and discomfort. I am hoping to god its not the fissure, but the pain is centered in the location :(

I'm being a more careful with my food again, increasing the sitz baths and hot water bottle to try and relax and soothe. Hoping the constepation and loose stool i has last week wasnt the cause of it returning.

Feeling a bit down this week because of it.

Hopefully if it is still the fissure, more conservative methods might help it recover.
Last edited by DarkJediFury on 20 Feb 2022, 12:39, edited 1 time in total.
DarkJediFury
Salt Bather

Postby DarkJediFury » 14 Feb 2022, 02:59

I'd love to know exactly what's going on with my body at the moment.

This weekend I was 100% pain free and only the tiniest of spots of blood, just once, and no incontinence with passing wind either.

No idea! But I'll take it!
DarkJediFury
Salt Bather

Postby DarkJediFury » 21 Feb 2022, 02:33

So disappointed... Had a full week with no pain at all and no bleeding at all and have been feeling really positive.

I woke yesterday morning with raging diarrhoea and despite doing my best to relax as much as possible was bleeding loads yesterday evening... I think it's opened up the incision

I'm putting it down to a roll I had Saturday with bacon and sausage. Wasn't a gluten free roll (no option for that) and I should've known better and now paying the price.

Going to have to be so careful for a lot longer it seems.

10 weeks this week but this is a major setback.

I have had a sitz bath yesterday afternoon. Started to get some pain and they really help. I'd kind of got out of the habit of taking them since I can't have them at work, just have one occasionally when I get home. Really helps with the cleanliness. I usually use some Epsom Salts in mine. Does seem to soothe it all.

Might have to work from home a bit this week, I'll see how it goes.

Really feel the fissure is healed finally but the incision is clearly a different matter.

Wishing I hadn't had that roll now!
DarkJediFury

Sep 2017 Bilateral inguinal hernia
Jun 2018 Epigastric hernia
Hemmies & AF
Feb 2020 Diltiazem
Jun 2020 Botox
Nov 2020 Diltizem
Jun 2021 Hem banding/botox
Oct 2021 Diltiazem
Nov 2021 LIS/botox
May 2022 RH Inguinal hernia
DarkJediFury
Salt Bather

Postby Amychristine » 23 Feb 2022, 20:25

How have you been feeling now? Do you have any other follow up appointments with your surgeon?
Amychristine
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby DarkJediFury » 24 Feb 2022, 05:48

Hi Amy,

So after Sunday's toilet fun I have been really good.

Bled just a spot on Monday and nothing since. No fissure pain at all and I really think the fissure is healed.

BM's are firm but not hard and just a little discomfort afterward.

All looking good, and I'm being really careful with the food.

As for the CRS appointment, I had one scheduled for 28th Feb but had a letter last week saying they have to move it to the end of April and it'll only be a telephone appointment :(

Hope you're doing okay.
DarkJediFury

Sep 2017 Bilateral inguinal hernia
Jun 2018 Epigastric hernia
Hemmies & AF
Feb 2020 Diltiazem
Jun 2020 Botox
Nov 2020 Diltizem
Jun 2021 Hem banding/botox
Oct 2021 Diltiazem
Nov 2021 LIS/botox
May 2022 RH Inguinal hernia
DarkJediFury
Salt Bather

Postby Rich44 » 25 Feb 2022, 14:09

Postponed two months AND it would now be over the phone?! With all you are going through that is unacceptable.
First I would go on a waiting list for possible openings.
Two - I would ask if there are any CRS partners I could see immediately.
Three - I wouldn't take no for an answer. ;)
Fissure June 2014 - Oct 2020
Botox, skin tag removed - Feb 2015
Levator Ani Sep 2014 - Feb 2016 (left job, cured!)
LIS, skin tags removed - Oct 2020
Fissure 100% healed - Nov 2020
Still healed as of March 2024
Rich44
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Amychristine » 25 Feb 2022, 15:26

Glad your doing a bit better. That’s good that you have a phone appointment. I just had one and it was nice not having to go in but I also wonder why she doesn’t wanna look at it. Could be that she’s saving me the trip of going out of town to her. She wants me on a cream incase I tore a little and to get it early. If it doesn’t work I’m suppose to let her know. Kinda nervous about it all so we’ll see that happens. Let us know how your appointment goes!
Amychristine
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby DarkJediFury » 25 Feb 2022, 16:19

Rich44 wrote:Postponed two months AND it would now be over the phone?! With all you are going through that is unacceptable.
First I would go on a waiting list for possible openings.
Two - I would ask if there are any CRS partners I could see immediately.
Three - I wouldn't take no for an answer. ;)

No way to do that in the UK on our National Health Service. I cant afford private medical care unfortunately so it's all down to waiting for the NHS.

I have been waiting for my hernia operation for the last several months and no sign of a date yet either.
DarkJediFury
Salt Bather

Postby DarkJediFury » 25 Feb 2022, 16:21

Doing better but today still had some spots of blood. It was one of those very stressful days at work, everything went wrong, and I ended up having more BM's than usual. After the last, some blood :( No pain though so...

It's also possible that the membrane down there is quite thin after a long period of using a steroid cream last year so that can cause some bleeding too.
DarkJediFury
Salt Bather