Having surgery on Tuesday - very nervous! Any tips/advice?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Having surgery on Tuesday - very nervous! Any tips/advice?

Postby crimeofpassion » 29 Jul 2009, 16:57

Okay, so first off, I'm having a bit of trouble inserting the suppositories. Image And secondly, my pain level shot up yesterday and today. I feel really achey/sore - like I have a horrific bruise. It sure felt like there's still a fissure when I tried to insert one this morning. Could I be doing more damage by using these things?
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby Buck » 29 Jul 2009, 17:37

I had a different surgery, a fissurectomy and hemmorroidectomy, but the last thing I would want to do is stick something up there. It's painful just to wipe softly with toilet paper much less insert a suppository. We are all different, of course, but if it causes too much pain I wouldn't do it. I tried suppositories early on and I couldn't get them in. My tightness and spasms preventing them from staying in once I inserted them. Maybe that is happening to you as well?
Buck
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Guest » 30 Jul 2009, 08:04

I tried suppositories too and it didn't help and hurt me too....

Postby Deleted User 5 » 30 Jul 2009, 08:08

Same here. I had trouble putting it in, and keeping it in, I was so tight....but I never saw any results from using them.
Deleted User 5

Postby crimeofpassion » 30 Jul 2009, 17:00

Was everyone else using the suppositories to try and heal the fissure, or get relief after surgery from incision pain and continued spasms?
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby crimeofpassion » 16 Nov 2009, 11:52

Hi guys! I think the other thread I made was deleted for some reason...but I have a question. I saw my THIRD colorectal surgeon today for a second opinion. To make a long story short (some of you may be familiar with it from the other thread), I had LIS, it didn't seem to work - left me in a great deal of pain, still had spasms - I went to another surgeon a few months later who did an exam under anesthesia and found granulation tissue at the incision site but no fissure or fistula - told me to give it time and I'd heal, a few days after that exam I bled during a BM and felt like the fissure was completely 100% back. Surgeon took a look and didn't see it, though, much to my surprise. So I saw another surgeon today for his opinion. He didn't do an exam, much to my frustration. He said just taking a look (not using a scope) would be sufficient, especially as he didn't want to possibly irritate an already sensitive area. My question is, is this true? I specifically asked, "but can't a fissure be higher up so that you couldn't see it just by looking, and need to use a scope?" He said that's usually not the case, but my fissure doesn't feel like it's right at the opening... I know that's where MOST people's fissures are, but...most people isn't everyone!
I had expected walking out from this latest appointment with a definite "yes you still have a fissure" or "no it's healed." But once again, I feel like I'm in the dark. He told me to give it time and hopefully the pain and spasms will stop. I am so, so stressed out. It took me a LONG time to convince my parents to let me see a third surgeon (keep in mind the first one, who did my surgery, was a bit of a jerk who blew me off when I told him I was still getting spasms a few weeks after the LIS). There's no way they'll let me see another one.
I don't know what to think. Even if it's healed, I still feel like it's there. Completely, 100% there.
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 16 Nov 2009, 12:11

COP,
I still felt like I had an AF even after my local CRS did an exam by simply just spreading the area apart, just like he did when he told me I had one if that helps you any!!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby crimeofpassion » 16 Nov 2009, 12:36

Wait - clarification - he did an exam without an anoscope and you still felt like you had a fissure and it wasn't healed? Or it WAS healed and you just felt like it wasn't for some reason? Phantom fissure pain, I suppose you could call it...? Image
crimeofpassion
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby cherylk » 16 Nov 2009, 12:54

He diagnosed my fissure by pulling the area apart (without an anuscope). I went back about 2 months later, I think (this was in the summer of '08), and he looked at the area in a similar way (without an anuscope) and told me the area had healed. I still felt like I had a fissure after the second exam even though he told me it had healed. I think there are "layers" of tissue and muscle involved. He probably couldn't see anything, but I still felt something if that makes any sense. Sorry for any confusion!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby suzyljank » 16 Nov 2009, 13:06

Hi, there are a lot of nerves in the rectal area that's why things hurt so much. Maybe you get residual pain from an already healed fissure. Or maybe the scar tissue from the fissure is what is hurting. I know I still have problems and I had LIS a year ago.
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic