Slow recovery after Hemorrhoidectomy

Slow healing, mental health, light in the end of tunnel

Do you have Hemorrhoids and are contemplating or have had a Hemorrhoidectomy? If you are thinking of surgery, or want to ask questions on anything to do with Hemorrhoids, or want to share with others who have been through this, this is the place!

Return to Hemorrhoids and Hemorrhoidectomy

Re: Slow recovery after Hemorrhoidectomy

Postby asdf123456 » 13 Dec 2013, 09:31

Hi Igrik. I read your story and it looks like me and you share a similar story. My background is a hemm surgery in September 2012 that caused 2 fissures and a stricture/stenosis. I tried everything, creams, botox twice, and then had corrective surgery this year, 2013. It failed. I still have one fissure left, and am going absolutely off the wall crazy. I was wondering how your situation is progressing. Have you tried surgery? Botox? I am a young guy too, 25, and also had to give up on my studies for this because it is too much stress to manage. I am also considering leaving my place of work at this point but am scared. I hope you are doing well.
asdf123456
VIP

Topics: 7

Postby owmybum » 13 Dec 2013, 11:40

Sorry to jump in, but what corrective surgery did you have asdf123456?. I too developed my fissure after hem surgery back in feb 2011. I have had all the creams and tests and Botox but nothing has healed me.
Igrik has just had LIS.... I'm hoping he will be able to log on and update us soon.

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby pinpin » 13 Dec 2013, 12:38

11.12.2013 12:00

Well, I am post op now. Didn't meet doctor yet to ask how it went. I am a bit dizzy at the moment and feel pain on the left side which I would score as 3 level. And it is not debilitating fissure pai it is more surface injury pain.

Enema was quite unpleasant and I had to go twice with it. First time it was waterfall, second more solid. I now laying on my back and have low temperature as 37.2, and was told it is normal. Prior surgery doctor told about risk of infection and that they give a shot of antibiotics in the incision site. I don't know what I forgot to mention, but ask if you are interested in particular moments I will share.
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Mood: Good

Postby pinpin » 13 Dec 2013, 12:38

11.12.2013 17:00

Still in hospital got wireless access, but signal is very fair. Doctor visited me and there are his words
1. Fissure is very nasty an long until dental line. Tailored lis means sphincter is cut to the length of fissure. It was not my case and i got cut approximately 7mm.
2. He took biopsy of my wound to check for other conditions.
3. No skin tags, no cleaning of wound performed. Edges were raw.
4. I was tight. He didn't mention anything like very tight, just tight
5. In case of abscess most important part is to remove stich and open it. I got one stich only.
That it, after I got tramadol around 12:30 pain has gone to almost nothing. I passed urine, and men know what i mean, automatic squeezing of bottom feels differently now
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Postby asdf123456 » 13 Dec 2013, 12:45

Hi Ownmybum…My surgery was LIS too, with stricturotomy because I had one that developed following the hem surgery. I am now 3 months post second-Op, and it is better, but not gone. My surgeon has been cauterizing with silver nitrate in the office the last few weeks, which is pretty traumatic, and ruins your weekend to say the least…but I think today I will tell him to do botox again, it might just push it over the edge to completely close up for good. The stricturotomy was 4-quadrant, plus I had 2 fissures, and the LIS incision itself. All the wounds healed except for the wound that is left over from the hem surgery, which makes me think that the first surgeon just took too much tissue for this thing to close up, meaning I would need some kind of flap surgery, which is pretty long recovery. Has any of your surgeons made any such recommendation to you guys?
asdf123456
VIP

Postby pinpin » 13 Dec 2013, 12:54

I am sorry it took so long to post update. Yesterday I had a trip back to my country and it was quite challenging as I had to get from hotel to airport, then to stand in all possible queues, sit for 3 hours in plane, get to home by taxi. I was under diclofenac painkiller and it was quite manageable this way, I didn't suffer much.

Today in morning I still didn't have BM, but already started to think about it as it is second day after surgery. The incision site still hurts, I do take diclofenac each 6 hours plus some Paracetamol in meantime to take edge off.

I did experience silent gas for all these days, which comes really easy. It is painfully to pee still, especially when I finish and squeeze bottom automatically.

My wife checked bottom and it look blue and swollen on the left side where I had surgery and there actually incision is located. Also she saw some suture hanging out of there, it is painful to pull apart chick to see more. So I/we don't know how it look in there.

Surgeon really hopes wound will heal, he called it fissure, but apparently noone would tore the same naturally, this looking more like one quadrant of anus which has not skin. It is located from 21:00 till 23:00 o'clock approximately and is quite long inside.
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Postby asdf123456 » 13 Dec 2013, 13:01

Hi Igrik. Best of luck with the healing. Don't worry so much about how it looks now, I remember I looked at my bum after the LIS back in september and I was horrified…it was so bloody it was like black in there. And I don't want to get your hopes up, but the best poops of my life were the ones I took the week after that surgery. It's gross, but they were easy and smooth and painless. And actually, that butt-clenching post pee pain you are talking about actually subsided briefly post-surgery also, though it is now back for me, which laughing, sneezing, coughing etc. Good luck with everything.

Ownmybum, I forgot to offer you my condolences for having to suffer with this problem for so long…Is LIS in the pipeline for you, or are you just deciding to manage it without further surgery?
asdf123456
VIP

Postby pinpin » 13 Dec 2013, 13:06

I had BM about 1.5 hours ago.

To mention immediately it was not pain free. But it was easier to pass it and pain was less than usually I had. Pain came mostly from old wound, and sometimes due to tension on incision site from LIS. I soaked in bath about 5 mins prior BM, stood up got on toilet did a little small push to initiate movement, and it slowly started..

What is good, though I am 1.5 hours post it and there is no throbbing spasms I was getting last 10 months :).. But it is not completely pain free either and there is burning sensation over the old wound/fissure. As I mentioned I am taking diclofenac as don't want abscess and also want swelling to go away quicker. I think I can take these meds up to 7 days for sure. Also I got tramadol for severe pain if such will occur.

I know it is too early to make any conclusions, I am really hopeful relaxed sphincter was something missing for the wound to heal, that is hope of my London's doctor also.

Silent gas and no spasms after BM is already a good thing to have for me, now I should wait when incision pain subsides and will see how it goes. What I am really hopeful about also, what dr Windsor agreed to have discussion with me on the progress via mail, so I don't have to make expensive trip to London again. And if it will be required we will arrange following procedures via mail. That is something giving the hope, that there are options still available.

I would really want to reproduce Davo's post LIS story :))) But I will not, though the condition I have is also different, probably if it would be natural fissure, the things would be easier, you know.
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Postby asdf123456 » 13 Dec 2013, 13:08

Hi Igrik, where are you from?
asdf123456
VIP

Postby asdf123456 » 13 Dec 2013, 13:10

The only reason I ask, is you mentioned that you traveled to London for the surgery via flight…Is there a CRS near you that can at least take a look at the wounds progression of healing over the next few weeks, even as you email your progression to the London CRS as well. Infections are rare, to my knowledge, but it couldn't hurt to have someone look at the wound each few weeks to confirm that everything is going smoothly.
asdf123456
VIP