Slow recovery after Hemorrhoidectomy

Slow healing, mental health, light in the end of tunnel

Do you have Hemorrhoids and are contemplating or have had a Hemorrhoidectomy? If you are thinking of surgery, or want to ask questions on anything to do with Hemorrhoids, or want to share with others who have been through this, this is the place!

Return to Hemorrhoids and Hemorrhoidectomy

Re: Slow recovery after Hemorrhoidectomy

Postby pinpin » 13 Dec 2013, 13:13

I come from small European country - Latvia. And sorry if I do some mistakes in English writing :)

Yes, I have local surgeon here in Riga, he was the one performed hemmorhoidectomy ten months ago. And apparently didn't expect so slow healing on me, but he is not experienced in LIS and nobody is in Latvia. That is why, I did it in London, and it took some efforts and expenses to arrange this.
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby pinpin » 13 Dec 2013, 13:15

Yes, I know about abscess and if pain from incision will become worse, I will visit him on Monday. I think one of the signs of infection is temperature and more pain from wound. I do have pain, but temperature is normal.
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Postby pinpin » 13 Dec 2013, 13:34

I did quite quick forward from the story I was about to write. So I will return to post experience I had before second surgery.

23.03.2013 - First business trip, second opinions.

Well I blindly continued to believe that 6 weeks is the mark for me, I didn't believe that something can go wrong with me. I took laxatives, was agonizing in pain for 8 hours, and went to business trip first time after surgery. That was literally the hell, I was eating almost nothing, and did many presentation as per my regular duties. I think nobody can even get a clue how much in pain and troubles I was. I was posting regular jokes, and well known formulas during presentation, playing smart ass, and teaching newbies to work with our systems you know....
On top of spasms pain I do remember very very sharp pain during BMs and pain radiating pain to perineum. When I returned I started physiotherapy - laser. 10 sessions of laser projecting on my fissure, with idea to speed up epithelialization. It didn't work. I found this website, which provided a lot of valuable experience information that time. Also I started to mail with one of the member - Reni. She healed approximately in June, and was not so involved since that. But still supportive and encouraged me a lot. As per many suggestions I started to look for second opinions and that was terrible thing to be honest in my country, almost each and every CRS(mostly men) was high opinion of himself and instead of helping were laughing and asked why I did surgery and whom did it for me. Also they were putting fingers inside making things even more painful. One lady famous in Riga lady - CRS tore my so badly during exam, that I was healing new fissure located on the wound for next 2 months, being in agony every day. I stopped second visits since then, as they didn't help me and had no solution, NEVER mentioning LIS AT ALL!!! They even never mention GTN or Diltiazem. This is something I found here on website, wrote prescription details myself and brought them to surgeon to issue prescription. In June I started to use GTN, which initially helped me and I was feeling sort of relaxation and warm feeling, but it lasts for week or so, afterwards I stopped feel improvements and times to time took diazepam or ibuprofen for pain and spasms.

Later in July, I found two surgeons doing Botox, but I started to heal from new fissure and wife suggested to wait to see progress, as botox can bring new problems - abscess, and also not many really heals from botox. In August 8th I had appointment with really experienced CRS, with the help of forum members I found one reliable CRS in London - dr Windsor, several members had surgery performed by him. And that was I needed, someone whom is really in charge of problem! We scheduled LIS on 25th of September, and he immediately suggested to skip Botox, as fissure/wound was severe. But I cancelled it, as was very good on track with my BMs, and already used to pain and routine, also wife mentioned she started to see more pink skin around. Also I got diltiazem sent over to my by dear member owmybum, which I started and gave a chance to heal with it. During October I also gave it a chance for hyperbatric chamber and had 13 sessions 1 hours duration. It didn't help.
The details can be found http://anal-fissure.org/hyperbaric-chamber-for-wound-healing-t1721.html

But in November I had regular business trip, which spoiled routine, and I was out of woods, and could not tolerate this anymore. Scheduled LIS in London by 11.12.2013, which I did 3 days ago.

Here I am - long story short, but in fact the pain was so long and so much suffering, hiding from everyone, avoiding parties, avoiding dinners, avoiding everything except my family :)

Also I was keeping daily diary about pain levels and overall feeling almost all summer you can find details under
http://anal-fissure.org/non-healing-wound-or-chronic-fissure-t6815.html
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Postby owmybum » 13 Dec 2013, 13:41

Wow igrik...... I don't know how you managed the journey home!! Sounds like a lot of standing and sitting around!!
I really wish you a speedy recovery with no complications at all... You deserve that.
:Rock: :smilyhug:

Asdf123456,
Thanks for that. I am waiting for more tests at the moment. The last pressure test I had showed that I had a low anal resting pressure, so I can't have LIS. I'm going to have another one, as it was 2 years ago.... If it still shows low, I will have advancement flap.... If high LIS.

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Mood: UGH !

Postby Scientist2516 » 13 Dec 2013, 15:27

Igrik, thanks for telling us more of your story. You have been through so much......
I'm hoping for a speedy and uncomplicated recovery for you now. You are a great guy and your wife sounds amazing too. I hope all goes well for you from now on.
Nifedipine/lidocaine, no help
Diltiazem, effective, but caused major rash
Nitroglycerine, effective.
Topical estrogen for final healing.
Gentle heat to bottom - pain relief, muscle relaxant
Kondremul mineral oil
Time - lots of time.
Status - Healed!
Scientist2516

Topics: 16

Postby asdf123456 » 13 Dec 2013, 17:33

Sounds like a rough journey Igrik…OMB, I may consider the flap surgery, but am first trying botox one more time a week from today. I don't really think it will help, but I'm low on options at this point. It's hard juggling this in secret with work. I missed work today to see the doctor, and I guess will be out next week for the botox. I have been saying I have "stomach" problems very ambiguously, but I don't know how long that will last. Frankly, that is the least of my worries at this point, I guess.
asdf123456
VIP

Topics: 7

Postby Savaici » 13 Dec 2013, 21:04

I thought of you travelling, and waiting at the airport, etc., hardly over the anesthesia, so glad that you are home now. Really hope that your healing does go the way of Davo. Thinking of you and that you are hopefully on the road- at least the beginning - to healing. To be free not just of pain but the perpetual worry all of us have if what we eat, not going out to restaurants with friends, not being able generally to have a normal life, etc. Get better soon, I. Good to read how you are doing too!
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby jr2 » 13 Dec 2013, 22:34

Oh man, igrik, the travel sounds brutal. I hope you have some long relaxation time in bed and bathtub with lots of pampering at home.

Wishing you the very best, speediest, successful, uneventful recovery.
jr2

Topics: 15

Postby pinpin » 14 Dec 2013, 07:57

Mr Murphy continues to visit me. Now I got very painful thrombosed hemorrhoid close to incision site of LIS surgery. I was thinking it was swelling first few days, but now, it is clearly visible, I have two options now: to drain the blood clot or to suffer it through one week or so.

The first thoughts are not to scalpel anymore and try to survive unless pain reduced and clot is resolved by it self.
:gah:
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Postby east_1234 » 14 Dec 2013, 17:06

Hi Igrik, I really hope that the LIS you had in London will fix the fissure due to previous haemorrhoid-ectomy.
Just out of curiosity, I wonder how you arranged the LIS before you arrived London?
east_1234
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4