The LemonMan's Diary

Diary

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: The LemonMan's Diary

Postby chachacha » 23 May 2017, 08:00

That sounds like a really good experience and I hope that you continue to have a good recovery. Congrats!

And yes, truly unfathomable what some people can do to others (re: Manchester).
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby Mypoorbutt » 23 May 2017, 10:14

I know LM such horrific mindless violence causing so much suffering certainly puts things into perspective.
Glad everything went well and that your first BM wasn't too bad. My Botox lasted about 4 months but I had 4 injections. I also didn't have spasms from day one of the Botox and noticed the full effect from around weeks 2/3.
Good luck with the healing and look forward to hearing your progress
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby LemonMan » 23 May 2017, 15:28

Thanks both for the encouragement and good luck messages. It really means a lot.
Aug 14: Anal Abscess diagnosed
Dec 15: Anterior Anal Fissure diagnosed
Jan 16: Anoheal - Thought was healed end of Jan
Apr 16: Anoheal - Thought was healed end of May
Sep 16: Fissure back. Started Anoheal again
May 17: Botox and banding - fingers crossed
LemonMan
VIP

Topics: 4

Postby patience_and_healing » 23 May 2017, 22:35

Wishing you speedy healing LemonMan. I too had Botox a week ago. Got all my fingers and toes crossed that it will help me heal. I'm continuing to use nifedipine as well alongside.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby patience_and_healing » 13 Jun 2017, 00:15

LemonMan, any updates on how you are doing? I hope no news is good news from you!
patience_and_healing

Postby LemonMan » 05 Aug 2017, 14:51

Hi Everyone,
It's been a while - thought I would post an update on my botox experience so far.

So had the procedure about 2.5 months ago. After about 2 weeks I felt much better. The general feeling I had was one of being bruised. Botox feels very much like someone has kicked you in the bum and things have swollen up a bit as a result. It's not numb as such, just swollen. The other main feeling I had was urgency in going to the loo (number 2). When I needed to go I needed to go. There is no hanging around. Other than that things went pretty well, and I felt pretty normal after about seven weeks.

Unfortunately after seven weeks some burning has returned and a couple of minor spasms. I've been taking hot baths and using Zinc Oxide cream which seem to have helped a bit. My feeling at the moment is botox has helped somewhat, but I'm not quite fixed yet. The next couple of months I will really find out. There is certainly no blood, which I had with every bowel movement before the procedure so that is good news.

I go to see my surgeon on the 1st of September. I intend continuing the hot baths, and movicol for a while. I have also discovered some pain killers that actually work for me. They are called Zapain. They are a prescription medication. I only take them if I am going to be driving for a long time - which is fortunately not that often.

So all in all some progress, but not out of the woods just yet.

Good luck everyone with your personal plight. There are some "ups" to this condition too. I've been walking a lot more (rather than driving), and have discovered some places I would never have noticed otherwise. I also read in the bath. I haven't read novels for ages and have been really enjoying soaking in a hot bath and reading. Great for the skin too!

Best, LemonMan
LemonMan
VIP

Postby patience_and_healing » 13 Aug 2017, 12:00

Good to hear from you LemonMan! I'm three months post Botox too and taking it very slowly week by week. I think it's still having some effect on the muscles down there because I have some urgency with soft BMs. Do you plan on getting another dose if your doctor says you're not fully healed?
patience_and_healing

Postby LemonMan » 18 Aug 2017, 14:22

Hi Patience, Yep same here - I still have some urgency, but slowly getting better in that regard. Not sure what the next step is to be honest. I have an appointment on the 1st of September with my CRS so will discuss options there. I feel I am more or less back to where I was before I started botox which is a little disappointing. I'm hoping the hot baths and zinc oxide will help over time too. What's your situation? Has botox worked for you?

Best, LemonMan
LemonMan
VIP

Postby patience_and_healing » 20 Aug 2017, 08:20

I'm sorry to hear you are back where you started. I think that's a big worry of mine too. According to my CRS I'm on the healing path, but Botox will wear off fully eventually, and I hope things don't get reversed. I still have burning after each BM most days which is supposedly from irritated nerves.
patience_and_healing

Postby LemonMan » 11 Sep 2017, 02:33

So, went to see my CRS for a recall appointment. Learnt quite a few interesting things. He confirmed that the fissure was still there. He said that on the NHS you only get one shot at botox and the next step is LIS.

Interestingly he said the success rate was about 90% with a 5% chance of mild incontinence. By which he explained as 'skid marks and farting'. He also went on to explain that the success rate was higher in men because men have a longer anal canal - something I didn't know. He said that they cut about 10% of the sphincter.

We discussed how I felt and I said I was marginally better than this time last year. So basically the decision I have now is whether to live with it, or go ahead with the surgery.

I asked him how bad he thought mine was compared to others he had seen, and he said it wasn't too bad. I also asked him if any patients eventually self heal, and he said that for some the pain does eventually 'burn itself out'.

At the moment I'm not using any ointment -Diltiazem caused me massive itching and inflammation, and GTN was like being hit on the head with a hammer - so I think I have been unlucky in that respect.

All I am doing at the moment is movicol, hot baths, and I'm trying infrared treatment. I did mention the infrared treatment to the surgeon, and he said there might be a placebo effect (lol) and it wouldn't hurt to continue.

So basically I go back to see him in 3 months and I then have to decide whether to go for LIS or not. Very difficult decision at the moment I have to say as generally things are better than this time last year.

Best LM
Last edited by LemonMan on 11 Sep 2017, 08:53, edited 2 times in total.
LemonMan
VIP