LIS scheduled for next Thursday (Dec 16, 2010)

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS scheduled for next Thursday (Dec 16, 2010)

Postby William » 04 Jan 2011, 16:48

I've had pretty rapid improvement over the last few days. Last Wednesday night (day 13), I felt that I was starting to turn the corner and that my surgery sites weren't so fragile anymore. Yesterday (day 18), I was able to quit using gauze because the discharge had dropped considerably. Today (day 19), I actually went shopping for a few hours with minimal discomfort.
I'm still having pain and blood with BMs, but I feel better almost immediately afterwards.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Guest » 04 Jan 2011, 21:35

That's Good News, William. Hopefully you will continue moving forward!!
I think it takes a little more time with a fissurectomy to heal. Steve Pain (another boardie) took awhile... and I've read of others who seemed to have a longer, rougher recovery than the ones who had just LIS alone.
I had a skin tag removed with my LIS and it took me every bit of 6 weeks before it wasn't sore any more! I also went shopping before I reached week three.
Hopefully the bleeding will go away soon for you! I only bled the first week w/ bm's, but actually read of someone on here who had blood randomly for a year or more?! The good news is that he's healed! So I guess it's hard to say what's really normal as far as that goes. Image

Postby William » 12 Jan 2011, 19:30

Just a quick update:
I've had a lot of improvement from by last update (day 19) to today (day 28). I was a bit uncomfortable when I went out-and-about a few times last week, but this past weekend was fine. I was able to finally return to work on Monday and work a full day, although I seem to get tired easily (probably from 3 weeks worth of inactivity). I'm not having that much pain going to the bathroom anymore. My fissurectomy site used to be give the worst (sharp) pain, but it hasn't bothered me much in the past few days. Now I get the most discomfort from the LIS site, but it's mainly itching or dull pain unrelated to having a BM. I'm still having a bit of discharge that I need to clean up every few hours. I'm looking forward to that going away, hopefully soon.
I postponed my 3 week followup appointment because my CRS wanted to use an aniscope and I definitely wasn't ready for that. My new appointment is for 5 weeks post-LIS, but I'm even worried about that, especially with as well as I'm doing. I really don't want to risk screwing up progress.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Guest » 12 Jan 2011, 20:05

Sounds good William! I only had LIS/skin tag removed and it took me 6-7 weeks to get past the soreness of the tag being removed. The leakage has slowwwly been getting better. I will be 3 months post-op on the 19th and it is still happening but it's mild compared to the early days.

Postby happyass » 14 Jan 2011, 08:43

thanks william for your updates.
really find them useful.
i would probably think at around day 60, you will be almost good as new.
yes, i can't imagine having an anoscope inserted while still healing and having discharges. ugh.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby William » 21 Jan 2011, 16:13

Had my followup today (5 weeks). The fissure is almost completely healed, but the LIS isn't quite healing properly. I'm not exactly clear on what's going on, but it sounds like there's some skin cell buildup at the site due to excess moisture. That's why I've been getting a lot of discharge and blood. My CRS is starting weekly silver nitrate treatment on the area until she knocks it down so it can heal correctly. She said this happens in about a third of her patients, and that it almost always responds to the treatment.
Oh, and I finally confirmed that I had an "open" LIS. She said she trained for both, but has always felt more comfortable with the open kind.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby happyass » 22 Jan 2011, 06:49

hi william!
sounds like you are doing great.
what does the sliver nitrate treatment involve? is it an ointment, tablet, etc.
i think you mentioned going back to work.....how has that been? are you able to sit comfortably?
how are your BMs?
keep taking care and healing! your first 60 days are almost complete!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby PaulsPain » 23 Jan 2011, 13:19

Silver Nitrate is used to chemically cauterize. I assume it will be used to cauterize around the area not healing to expose fresh tissue to promote healing. I think it can be injected or comes in a paste.
My experience with it was from my ER visit after I sprung a leak a day my abscess draining/fistula surgery. They packed my whole rear and the abscess cavity full of the stuff to cauterize whatever wouldn't stop bleeding.
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby William » 25 Jan 2011, 06:21

happyass wrote:what does the sliver nitrate treatment involve? is it an ointment, tablet, etc.
i think you mentioned going back to work.....how has that been? are you able to sit comfortably?
how are your BMs?
My CRS puts the silver nitrate directly on the LIS site with a Qtip.
Work has been fine; not much discomfort anymore. However, I'm constantly afraid of the gauze falling out and ending up on the floor. Image
BMs are still good. Ever since I started my current diet, they've been pretty consistent (except for the first one after the surgery), even though I haven't been exercising.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby William » 29 Jan 2011, 16:05

Well, I *was* doing well. Before the last appointment, I had hardly felt anything from my fissurectomy site. But since then, I've gotten increased pain there every day. Today was pretty bad during the BM and hours after. Mainly stinging, sharp pains with what feels like bad inflammation. I'm wondering if the silver nitrate application hurt the fissure area somehow. And I was doing so good, dammit. It suddenly feels like I went backwards a month.
I see my CRS on Monday, so I should hopefully get an idea of what's going on then.
I know it's probably just a temporary setback, but I really can't handle these "downs" anymore. I've already noticed that this whole experience has really hurt me emotionally (as I'm sure it does with everyone). I get teary-eyed at the drop of a hat these days, something that I haven't experienced in many years. Today's pain completely took the wind out of my sails. I really wasn't expecting any more significant "downs."
William
Proctosphincteranalogist