LIS Surgery and Recovery Diary

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS Surgery and Recovery Diary

Postby Deleted User 2543 » 28 Jun 2013, 13:11

Hi guys,
Welsh is right we are eating way too much fiber. My bm was so much easier today tg no pain.
The only bother I'm having today is from my incision site it just wont stop bleeding. Do any of you have this problem?
Courtknee i find placing a piece of gauze between my butt helps with irritation.
Torn i hope your having a good day :) 
Deleted User 2543

Postby torninhell » 29 Jun 2013, 09:34

Hi Courtknee, I cant really say how much fiber I take in a day, I have no idea how much fiber is in fruits and veggies, but I'm really trying to cut back (while still making sure I get my soluble fiber of course. I'm not quite sure what to do because for one I do not take any medication/laxative/stool softener, so my only real option is to up my fiber and my water. What does this mean then, am I supposed to cut back on what I eat? :l Meat doesn't do me very good, if I have too much my poo gets hard. This is so problematic, haha. I have no idea what snacks I can even have that don't contain fiber in them!
And also about the thing about the monster poops sliding right out, I don't know, I guess I'm very lucky? I mean, right after I eat breakfast (or lunch, since I usually always wake up around noontime), I immediately feel the strong need to poo... I sit on the toilet, assume the squat, relax, and then bam it just comes. The first bit is usually a little hard and takes me a lil longer to get out, but once I get past the initial anxiety (STILL CAN'T GET OVER MY ANXIETY ABOUT THIS!) the rest of the monster poop just keeps coming and the next thing I know I'm done. I don't do much really, I just drink a ton of water (2 litres a day minimum or else I get paranoid I'd get blocked up) and sometimes a little grape juice or a couple prunes. And for me I usually poop just the one time in the day but I'm quite regular. I wish I had suggestions for you but I really don't have any, since I don't take laxatives/stool softeners/magnesium and what have you. Sorry Court :(And also I love your little comment about us being like sorority sisters. Totally! We're like the sisterhood of sore bums (not so much anymore Image)
Hi Welsh, yeah I tried the same diet pre-surgery. Caused some of the most agonizing days of my life! I definitely am trying to avoid too much fiber, but see the thing is I have no freaking idea what else to eat! :(Meat? Constipating! Junk food? No thank you :(AGH and I do not want to go to white starches, either. :S Any suggestions please?
I mean, I love my veggies and fruits like... this much:

But I can't afford to keep popping out monsters!
Hi Edel, so glad to know that your BM was much easier! I actually haven't had much problem with bleeding since surgery, in fact even on my worst poop days (you know, the monster poopies) I only get a tiny drop of blood, and more often nothing at all. You know what? It blows my mind that LIS has helped me so much! Haha.
General update Lately things have been good. Have been having minor leakage still, but should go away soon. Saw my CRS today for my post-op follow up and he did a digital manipulation, no pain! :)Just discomfort from the incision site. He did all the checks and told me that I have no inflammation, no sign of infection, and my control and muscle functions seem to be just perfect. In summary he believes I'll make a full recovery and fast! *dances* Apparently he had also scraped the scar tissue out of my old HUGE fissure, so that it can heal together better. I've only seen and talked to this guy three times, but I'm never gonna forget him, seriously. I'm so grateful I might even show up with freshly baked cookies! Lol.
Pain level = 0! Seriously! Nothing at all, unless I'm pooing of course, then the incision site makes itself known at a 1 or 2. Doctor said as my incision and fissure heals I might feel a pulling sensation but that's fine. Anything but the pain.
torninhell
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby torninhell » 29 Jun 2013, 09:54

I FORGOT TO MENTION:
On thursday I had a burger. With mayo, white flour bun, the works.
I ate a slice of pizza yesterday! YAAAAAAAAAY. Sweet heaven on earth @_@
Also the past few days I've been able to snack on potato chips again, though I always go with the multi-grain kind. I have maybe a serving here and there. I just missed it a bit, felt like celebrating the healing fissure.
I even had nut toppings on my yogurt.
Of course afterward I felt like kicking myself for being stupid and eating those things, thinking "surely I'll pay for it tomorrow", but well... aside from the mega sized BMs, I'm fine! Maybe I can slowly reintroduce some foods. :) Of course I'm always careful to chew my food to death and to drink tons of water, but I'm still trying to make sure I don't eat too much bad food (like I haven't had enough of that already >.>)! :)
torninhell
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby WelshDoubleFissure » 29 Jun 2013, 10:27

Hi torn,
I was eating 2 wheatabix every morning (or bran flakes), loads of orange juice and I loved bread, especially white bread. I would then have a monster poop which would tear me up every time.
I've now cut myself down to one wheatabix every morning, NO WHITE BREAD, I've reduced my fruit juices/smoothies. I'm currently testing gluten free whole meal bread rolls, Chicken, and lettuce.
I'm also eating brown rice and pasta.
I'm chewing these things to a pulp too and downing a glass of water before, during and after I eat.
With every meal I'm taking a Movicol too to ensure its all soft when it comes out.
There's a difference with soluble and insoluble fibre, I'd stick to soluble while you're in the early stages of healing.
Oatmeal
Kidney beans
Broccoli (cooked well)
Brussel sprouts (Eugh)
Carrots
Asparagus
Mango
Prunes.
I've just taken to having a few prunes a day too.
You can have what you want, just have it in moderation, chew it to within an inch of its life and sink plenty of fluids.
Hope this helps.
Welsh x
WelshDoubleFissure
VIP

Topics: 4

Postby Deleted User 2543 » 29 Jun 2013, 15:44

Hi torn,
Delighted to hear your crs app went so well :) my app is not until the 2nd aug 6 wks check up. Did you mention about your monster poops?
I love my fruit and veg too but i had to cut back, the fact i take a softener i dont worry to much about not getting enough fiber.
Take care :)
Deleted User 2543

Postby Courtknee » 29 Jun 2013, 21:36

Hey Family,
I'm so glad to hear that you're doing well, Torn! Yippee! Edel, still praying for good things for you! :) I haven't bled since four days post op, so I'm not sure why you would still be bleeding. I'm really hoping that subsides for you quickly. I don't feel my incision site at all anymore, just the skin tag sites and that's getting less by the day. Also, it's only during BM- no pain afterwards! I was even able to go out with my daughter today and buy fireworks for the Fourth of July :) I think I found my ticket for getting the poops to slide out. I've been taking two tablespoons of mineral oil at night. It's disgusting and while it is a laxative and I wish I didn't have to take anything, that's a pretty easy solution, so I'll take it. I haven't been brave enough to try pizza and I don't like red meat so a burger is out of the question for me but I'm loving the turkey! I haven't eaten any refined starches and this is why I'm consuming so much fiber, Welsh. The whole wheat wraps and bread I'm eating (2 slices) have 12 g of fiber each so between that and all the fruits and veggies I'm eating, it's impossible for me to consume any less than 30 g a day. Again though, the mineral oil is working wonders. I died laughing when I read that you wanted to bake your surgeon cookies, Torn. I told my mom and husband that I was going to bring my surgeon a fruit basket (you know, just so he knows I'm serious about the eating healthy. Haha) I definitely know this was the right decision, having the surgery. I can't wait to buy annual passes to Disney!!!!! Also, I'm lucky enough to have not had any soiling at all. I feel all gas too and I'm not even passing that much anymore like I was before surgery. I think the soup and salad only diet was filling with with air. I was a total angel gas box. I swear one day when I feel totally well and can travel, I'm coming to visit you guys. Lol. I have no idea what other parts of the world are like, but the Philippines and Europe sound like fun places to start. Wishing everyone good days ahead and talk to you soon :)
Courtknee
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Courtknee » 29 Jun 2013, 21:39

That was totally supposed to say f a r t box, not angel gas box. Haha! The forum changes it.
Last edited by Courtknee on 29 Jun 2013, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correction of word.
Courtknee
Fibre Addict

Postby owmybum » 30 Jun 2013, 03:23

Torn... Can't believe you are doing so well... That's fantastic, I'm so pleased for you!
OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Deleted User 2543 » 02 Jul 2013, 12:28

Hey Torn,
How are you doing? I hope your still recovering well :)
Hi Courtknee, glad to hear your doing well too & getting out and about. I'm still bleeding a wee bit from my incision site don't know whats up with that, my tag site is so itchy now its driving me wrong Image 
I find i eat far too much fiber too but find it hard to reduce. I might try the oil trick some time i have read before it really helps.
Take care xx
Deleted User 2543

Postby Courtknee » 02 Jul 2013, 21:27

Yes, Torn! I hope you haven't been on lately to fill us in on what's going on because you've been feeling so well that you're out having fun :)
Edel,
I totally understand about the fiber. I have had 35 grams today and I still felt kind if hungry in between. I'm eating all whole foods so everything is beefed up with fiber. The mineral oil really started helping after two days so don't get discouraged if it doesn't work the first day you take it. Also, the back of the bottle says to take it right before bed and not with a meal. I just take a two tbsp shot of it before bed. I'm glad the bleeding is reducing for you. I'm getting less itchy so hopefully you will soon too. Keep me posted :)
Courtknee
Fibre Addict