New here

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: New here

Postby Guest » 27 Apr 2009, 15:50

Thanks so much again. Gosh I feel so happy to have found people to talk with after feeling so alone and driving my husband nuts (especially with the what ifs before my surgery). I actually work in a mental health office and was like I think I need some help too now! They all found out about it (was in the hospital so it came out) and are mostly male thus my embarrasment. Now I joke about it to keep myself sane....
I always thought the more fiber, the better. I will cut back for sure now.....TMI but I thought I was gonna faint when I saw that last BM!

Postby Guest » 27 Apr 2009, 15:51

Oh I used to use my eliptical all the time, but now now. I am somewhat active (well I have a two year old son!) but not like I used to be. Do you work out or walk?

Postby Jen » 27 Apr 2009, 16:45

Hi Macy & Welcome!
I am glad you found the board! Now you can vent here instead of to your husband. Not that he is not supportive, but we know what your going through! :D My hubby was so tired of listening my to butt problems - It is all we ever talked about. Since I found the forum last year - he does not hear a peep about it from me unless things are really bad.
When did your fissure first start? Do you also have bad hemmie problems? I got mine one month after my son was born and he just turned 2. I had LIS in Aug 2008, and things have got alot better - but really slowly! I have not idea why it takes so long to heal. I like to think I am 90-95% healed now.
The board has some great advise! I use benefiber & magnesium glycinat 200 mg daily. If I eat really bad I will take miralax or MOM just as a precaution - I do this once a week. I went to a BBQ on Saturday and I had to take my miralax because I was afraid of all that junk food coming out in my BM the next morning.
What a bummer about you having to stay in the hospital! I am so glad your ok! Welcome again!
Jen
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Deleted User 5 » 27 Apr 2009, 17:33

What position your fissure is at may well have a lot to do with how quickly it heals, but I am not terribly familiar with the mechanics of that. Jen is right, in that it just takes longer as in her case, (and a few others post-LIS) and the monthly cycle can definitely be a force in preventing speedy recovery, but that would surely vary from person to person.
Tabby explained very well how excess fiber will work against you, although adequate fiber is essential!
Deleted User 5

Postby cherylk » 27 Apr 2009, 17:51

I think all of our spouses/SO's are so tired of hearing of our butt issues. BUT they (for the most part) never had an AF, so they couldn't understand the mental angst that goes with it. I, like you, Jen, seldom talk about my butt to my husband which is a completely different scenario from a year ago. Seeing a psychiatrist has really helped me a lot with everything (IBS included). I would highly recommend doing that and also A/D's to help a person deal with the mental issues. I am not embarrassed to admit needing help; many people probably need it, but don't seek it out. My visits to the psychiatrist are now much more infrequent, but I know he is always there if I need him, which is quite reassuring to me.
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 27 Apr 2009, 18:06

I am sorry you are another casualty of childbirth. It really does change the landscape of the pelvis dramatically. I haven't had LIS but I have had other anal surgeries and none of them had a straightforward outcome. In fact I got my fissure after a hemorrhoidectomy and the CRS seemed very non-chalant about it too meanwhile I was hardly able to function at all. I have been at the mercy of my butt for a long time so I can sure relate.
I could not have healed had it not been for stool softeners. You need adequate fiber but as you have found out it produces more stool. If you supplement with fish oil capsules or liquid that will help coat the stool so it slips out better. Flax seed oil is good for this too. I add some to stirfrys. I would also recommend a probiotic.

Postby Guest » 28 Apr 2009, 04:08

Hey Macymae !
I walk walk walk ! about 3 miles a day Image I love it !
If I have a discomfort day I go power walk by the time I get back home my booty feels so much better , try it and see Image
A toddler sure will keep you active but I think the walking a distance would benefit you .. Think blood flow !

Postby Guest » 28 Apr 2009, 07:02

Thanks I will start walking more. I have been afraid to "disturb" the area but at the same time was tired of not living my life and just started getting back to normal. I got very depressed over the holidays as it is my fav time of the year and here I was scared and hurting. I did start taking Zoloft at the suggestion of the psychiatrist I work for (good hook up!) and it has helped. I got my fissure just last December but it feels like a lifetime ago. I just cannot believe the ignorance of the docs that I went to but am glad to have learned a great deal more about fissures. I do have hemmies too, but have not had any trouble with them (didn't even know I had them until the CRS told me there were small ones).
I told my hubby about this forum and how happy I was. I also told him I was getting too much fiber. He laughed and was like dang first you aren't getting enough and now too much!

Postby cherylk » 28 Apr 2009, 07:27

Tracy,
Are you a nurse?????
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 28 Apr 2009, 07:34

No I do administrative work in a office of seven docs...some are psychologists and one psychiatrist.They are very nice and supportive. I do insurance, billing and transcription. There are only three of us office staff here so it's very family like. I used to be a legal assistant but hated that work...long hours and it was a big firm. I see you are a autism supporter, we have a social skills group we do here with some autistic children. It's really cool.