New here

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New here

Postby Guest » 27 Apr 2009, 12:46

And very happy to have found this forum!
Long story short....I developed my fissure in December of last year. I had no idea what it was and thought it was hemmies from my pregnancy two years ago. I was misdiagnosed twice, then given proctofoam and analpram, neither of which worked. I was told I would be fine in a week (!) and that it was no big deal. After a month, I went to see a CRS as my mom (nurse) told me to. He was noncholant about it as well and gave me a nitro gel (headaches). He was postive about LIS and said we should and I would be healed in no time. I ended up staying in the hospital for four days (complications from anesthesia) and my first BM I was on fire. That was 1-23-09.
I am better, no spasms anymore, but still feel pain daily. The other thing is my BMS are huge (so embarrasing but true). I don't eat meat, little dairy, 250 mgs magnesium nightly and high fiber. I drink lots of water and citracel every night. I was told no stool softners, no laxatives, etc and while the CRS was nice, he seemed to think that fissures were no big deal and I should be healed in two weeks. What?? I am so glad I found this forum as I know now I am not abnormal.
Does anyone who has had LIS have any advice for me?

Re: New here

Postby Deleted User 5 » 27 Apr 2009, 13:02

Hi Macymae and welcome!! Your AF has had time to heal but healing is not *always* so straightforward after LIS though it usually is. I couldn't possible guess as to why, but it's great you don't have the spasms anymore. How long does the pain last after the BM?
It is sad but true, that many GPs and CRS' have no clue as to how debilitating this condition can be, I think almost all of us have encountered that nonchalance before!
As for the large BMs, that could be a result (and most probably is) of your high-fiber diet. I would suggest you just get the RDA for your weight and little if any more, that should cut back on the huge stools!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 27 Apr 2009, 13:25

Thanks so much for the quick reply! The pain is different. It used to hurt 24/7, now it depends on the day. It hurts everyday, but in varying degrees. I wake up and it will hurt but it's not bad, then stings a little with the morning BM, and then that pain recedes to a dull ache that stays there all day, off and on.
Thanks about the fiber. I think I get about 30 grams a day and weigh about 130. But it's also possible I go over and thought that was good, not bad. But if that is what is causing those I will stop so much!

Postby cherylk » 27 Apr 2009, 13:41

I just want to say welcome. Could you try Miralax to make the stool softer???
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Corsi » 27 Apr 2009, 14:08

macymae wrote: while the CRS was nice, he seemed to think that fissures were no big deal and I should be healed in two weeks. What?? I am so glad I found this forum as I know now I am not abnormal.

First, you are not abnormal!! Second, I wish I could do Vodoo and give your CRS a BIG fissure he could enjoy Image
Have you had a check up?
I am 9 weeks post LIS and still hasn't healed...this takes time. How big was your fissure?
Image Corsi
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby Guest » 27 Apr 2009, 14:11

Thanks. I have not, as the CRS said only citracel, but have heard about magnesium working. I have been too scared to take more than 250 mgs a day though. I do still have miralax, but was unsure about it.
How did you guys get your fissures? The weird thing is I was never constipated or had diarrehea, except during my pregnancy two years ago. But, I guess it was bad enough then to start the process.

Postby Guest » 27 Apr 2009, 14:14

He actually said it was a small fissure, no piles or complications. I was suprised as it sure felt huge.
How is your pain level? Do you hurt all the time?

Postby Corsi » 27 Apr 2009, 14:21

No, its more like I feel my fissure, discomfort in my back...there's something wrong there. I have to rest a lot to keep it calm. I am working twice a week, don't know how wise that is.
I did some gardening this weekend and last weekend. It was just cutting my roses, etc. and I got such anal cramps and shooting pain you wouldn't believe it. Wonder why?
Corsi
King Fissure

Topics: 18

Postby Guest » 27 Apr 2009, 14:33

I get some shooting pains from time to time..not sure why but they don't last. I also get more pain around my period. Other than that I live a fairly normal life, as much as possible. My pain is from the fissure, I can feel it burn or ache although its not horrible. I just cannot believe these things take so much time.
Is there something wrong with your back or your fissure?

Postby Guest » 27 Apr 2009, 15:39

Image Macymae !
I think fibre could be an issue ! Too much fibre bulks out BMs making them much bigger and more difficult to pass that could cause pain/discomfort at the fissure site especially if you do not have enough fluid in your high fibre diet, I would aim for 20-25grams per day, 250mg of mag sounds about right for keeping things soft, try reduce the fibre and see if that helps Image
I had LIS in January and what really helped me these last few weeks is exercise, Are you active ?
I suffer at monthly times too it is such a drainer Image everything seems so much more sensitive :roll: You could try the evening primrose its worth a shot ! Image http://anal-fissure.org/diet-tips-supplements-f3/evening-primrose-oil-t1400.htm