New here

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: New here

Postby pinky » 28 Apr 2009, 15:09

Hi Macymae,
I had LIS in sept and still dont feel completely healed.I do feel some dullache time to time and some soreness especially during the lovely time of the month.I do leak a bit after BMs which irritates my skin and have to wash my bum twice to keep it clean.It does take a lot of time to heal.
As Tabby suggested,it would be good to cut down on fibre.30gms is too much and i think the RDA is around 24gms.more fibre will form more bulk.even i dont know what citracel is.since u mention its bulk forming,thats adding more bulk to your stools.exercise is also important.let us know how u get on
pinky
Fissureologist

Topics: 6

Postby Guest » 28 Apr 2009, 15:21

Do you know about metamucil? It's similar to that. It comes in powder that I mix in water. It says it is a bulk forming laxative. My CRS told me to use it as it really is just a natural laxative that will keep me regular. I would say it does, I go like clockwork pretty much every morning. It's just one day it's perfect (soft and small) and the next huge! LOL.

Postby Jen » 28 Apr 2009, 22:14

Macy -
To answer your question, I never really had constant pain. I had pain that would come and go. I have not seen a drop of blood since my recovery from LIS (around September). I did have a feeling of passing glass with my BM's in December. I still get the dull pains, and feeling like my bum is too tight occassionally with a BM. As a matter of fact, I have had a really annoying ache down there all day that is making me so mad!
I am like you - I take fiber everyday and will for the rest of my life. Have you tried Benefiber? It's great! It is a natural fiber laxative, but it does not bulk up my stools as much a metamucil. I would suggest buying a small bottle to see if there is any difference. It is worth a shot.
Jen
Jen
King Fissure

Topics: 39

Postby Guest » 29 Apr 2009, 07:37

Thanks Jen....I am thinking I should stop the citracel, but am so scared of not being regular. I'll try the benefiber...how much do you take?
I actually never had blood...except after LIS I did just for awhile. But the bad pain of passing stool was much better after LIS.
How is your diet besides high fiber? Do you eat sweets and pretty much what you'd like?

Postby Jules » 29 Apr 2009, 10:01

Hey there MacyMae!
I agree, too much fiber can cause problems with BM's. I take the Miralax but only use about half what it says for adults and it works great. Keeps things soft and moving freely. I just had LIS surgery yesterday and I'm doing very well I believe. I'm sore, no doubt, and I haven't had my first BM yet since the surgery yesterday (wonder what that will be like).... yikes! I've taken two sitz baths with some Epsom Salt in the water and it really does help with the soreness. I feel good today and just plan on eating soups for a few days. Of course I ate really light for the two days prior to my surgery so that's probably why no BM yet. All I had yesterday (day of surgery) was chicken noodle soup and water, water, water about 4:00 pm. My surgery was at 10:00 am and I was back home by 12 noon. Slept a few hours and got up and ate my soup. Hubby was close by but no problems arose. Slept good last night and ate some oatmeal this morning. Probably getting ready to eat more soup in a little while. Was prescribed pain pills but all I've been taking is Tylenol. Pain is not bad.... just super sore. I would recommend LIS surgery to anyone who's at their wits end like I was. I've had my fissure about 3 months and it too was the topic of all conversations. Today, that has already diminished some... yeah! Image they helped me to decide!!!
Jules
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby cherylk » 29 Apr 2009, 10:53

Jules,
You continue to keep such a positive attitude which I am sure will greatly help your healing. Image
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Guest » 29 Apr 2009, 11:33

Hi Jules,
I wish you well. My experience was held up due to my hospital stay. I had a back reaction to anesthesia and then my bladder didn't want to wake up. After I got home I wasn't in much pain (no spasms at all) until my first BM. I had not eaten much and had to take Miralax a lot. But, long soaks helped and it was only the first few BM'S that hurt. I didn't take much pain medicine at all. After the first week I was more sore than anything, but nothing major. It slowly got better and better but now am still not healed, I think mostly do to large BM's and well, time. I am three months post LIS and know that each week it's not as bad so I have to try and stay positive.

Postby Guest » 29 Apr 2009, 11:34

that was supposed to be bad, not back reaction!

Postby whyme » 29 Apr 2009, 11:47

Welcome, my fissure was caused by pelvic floor muscles dropping from pregnancy and childbirth. the muscles dropped and are around the rectal canal, when I push for a BM the muscles end up pushing against each other and making it difficult for a complete evacuation of the rectum. kegel exercises will help with the muscles, my CRS also told me to open my legs and use one hand and push up near the rectum to help support the muscles during a Bm.
My fissure wasn't very deep, I have not had surgery. I take one capful of miralax each day, and use the benefiber in my water. I have cut out milk, now drinking organic soy milk, and I don't eat red meat but once a week maybe. Also cut out fried foods. I eat one Activa yogurt each day with the probiotics, I am feeling much better with the whole digestive system. BMs are staying frequent and soft, some days seems like a huge BM, but that's when I have had lots of fiber. As long as they stay soft and small in diameter I am happy.
This board and these folks are a blessing! Unless you've had a fissure, you have NO IDEA the pain and suffering one goes through.
whyme
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Guest » 29 Apr 2009, 12:04

I agree, I am so happy to have found this place!
No one I knew had ever heard of fissures and I felt so alone...
Is your fissure healed now? How long have you had it? I love the why me name...that made me laugh.
Also, why cut out fried foods? Do they cause painful BM's? I mean I know about dairy, meat and such, but am confused as to the fried or sweets. I do indulge sometimes as it seems I had cut so much out I was not eating!