Just had surgery

OMG, i need help

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Just had surgery

Postby shaq » 25 Feb 2015, 14:29

Hi msimon,

Thank you for your kind words. I guess I have no right to complain this soon because others have it far worse, but it is not what I expected. I just had a BM about 90 min. ago, the largest since the surgery(one big piece- how disgusting to talk about this), and took a single tylenol 4, trying to cut down on painkillers. and now 90 min later, I am still in horrible pain. This is ridiculous. I hope at some time in the future, I can return to a normal life that does not revolve around my BMs and sore butt...lol.

Have a great day,
Mike
shaq
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby msimon » 25 Feb 2015, 14:46

You have every right to complain, especially if your Doctor did not prepare you for this. Anal surgery is one of the most painful things to endure. Most people have no idea until they become one of the unfortunate ones. Most of us on here don't think this type of talk is disgusting and I know I, at least, just see it as part of the machinery of the body. You become quite desensitized after a while I think. I hope things start to improve for you really soon.
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64

Postby shaq » 25 Feb 2015, 14:56

Thanks again
shaq
Fibre Addict

Postby chachacha » 25 Feb 2015, 16:03

What really sucks about the pain we experience, is that for most of us, the painkillers just don't do the job. I used to take Tylenol 4's two at a time, and even that strength usually had no effect whatsoever.

Fingers still crossed for you shaq and I hope that tomorrow brings you a better day.
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby msimon » 25 Feb 2015, 16:37

That is so true Chacha. I think because it is muscle spasm and that has to be addresses directly.
msimon

Postby owmybum » 25 Feb 2015, 18:16

I'm sorry to hear you are in so much pain after surgery. It's just an awful thing to go through, and only those of us who have gone through it truly get how devastatingly anxious the vicious cycle can make you.
Msimon has given you some great advice... I second soaking in a warm bath a couple of times a day. After my flap surgery I didn't wipe at all after a bm, I just gently showered off with a hand held shower head whilst sitting over the edge of the bath, then drying off with a hair dryer on a cool setting.
If you can start on something like mirilax to keep stools soft for the next few weeks that would help. It takes a couple of days to kick in though, so plenty of water, and good fibres like oats, veg etc.
I'm sure you will start to feel better within the next few days.

OMB x
fissure after hem banding and tag removal feb 11
Pelvic floor therapy
Diltiazem
Botox June 13
Nitro
Internal flap July 14
EUA and polyps removed Nov 14
Diagnosed with neuropathy Jan 15
Diagnosed with HS EDS type 3 (causes poor wound healing )
owmybum

Topics: 42
Mood: UGH !

Postby Turk the cat » 25 Feb 2015, 19:00

Hi Mike (ooh, a boy <wink>) welcome to the club.

Fret not, we talk poops here, often with punctuation such as &*%$#...
Turk the cat
Salt Bather

Topics: 16

Postby shaq » 26 Feb 2015, 03:33

Here we are, early morning(1:27 a.m.) of the 6th day after surgery...sipping on my clearlax before bed. I hope all you who have been helping me out and calming my nerves are doing well. One question, did anyone else notice that besides having to push really hard to make a &*%$# BM, do you or did you also have to push really hard to painfully expel gas.
Is this because my sphincter is swollen from the surgery or is there something wrong. It leave me confident that my next &*%$#BM(thanks Turk), is going to be painful, again.

Mike
shaq
Fibre Addict

Postby msimon » 26 Feb 2015, 03:53

Hi Mike. You are a night owl like me ;) I see.

I still have trouble passing gas or a BM for that matter. It is likely the internal sphincter muscle in spasm. It should calm down in time. Did you try anything yet to relax it like a hot bath, heating pad or one of the ointments? Does the area look swollen to you? Has the softener helped at all yet? I know I have some internal swelling. In fact I was really swollen all around down there, and bruised. That took weeks to improve. What about trying some anti-inflammatories (advil, etc). Oh another thing, have you ever thought to try to squat to poop? It helps me sometimes and has helped many on here. You could find quite a bit on a search.
msimon

Postby Turk the cat » 26 Feb 2015, 11:55

Mike. Try your best not to push to bring on a BM. You're just asking for trouble. Or at the very least hemorrhoids when your body is so vulnerable. Or a larger chance of not all the stool going through and clogging things up. I know, it's tempting to, but don't. There's no big rush the first week out of surgery.

Get up and leave the bathroom, drink a cup of hot water, or prune juice, then try again when your body signals you. And yes it feels silly at first, but squatting is for champions. I lay out copious amounts of paper towels in the bathtub, or on bathroom floor. Not unlike when I was a young kitten training.
Turk the cat
Salt Bather

Topics: 16