LIS in a week

Late forties male, AF of 1 year

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS in a week

Postby Mypoorbutt » 19 Apr 2017, 08:18

Sounds like your doing really great Mr F it's so reassuring to others to know that LIS can be straightforward

:Rock:
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Mr Fissure » 19 Apr 2017, 10:41

Thanks, mpb !! :D Don't want to count my chickens yet, but I'd be pleased if this diary does help someone in some way.

If I could clear this damn adductor up :evil: , I think I'd be doing a lot better though! Gave me a tough night again last night, I keep straining it when I turn over in my sleep, and that then makes it more difficult to sit on the loo and the sitz bath the next morning (and also makes my sphincter tighten up a bit too, no doubt!).

Despite that my BM this morning was good though, with very minimal burning. All I'm getting is the occasional twinge (which I presume is the incision rather than the fissure?) and a bit of tightness when I lean over still, but hoping that's just a case of the wound starting to knit...? The adductor's the main issue for me atm, and is hampering me getting out and about a bit, which I'm dying to do now!

Done another couple of hours work today though, and managed a relatively pain-free sit down at dinner time today. Small steps and all that... :lol:

Hope you're still progressing well, mpb!?
Mr F
Mr Fissure
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 2

Postby Mr Fissure » 19 Apr 2017, 17:02

Hmm, a difficult evening.

For some reason I've noticed the last 2 nights it's been difficult to find a comfortable place to sit. Seems like as I get tired my bum does too, and the vague ache and tenderness becomes stronger as the night goes on. Spent the evening trying to sit in various seats/chairs in the house, but barely managing 15 mins in any of them.

Got to try and stay positive and remember I'm only on Day 5. Easy to give into negative thoughts and that won't do the tightness in my sphincter any good. Gonna call it a night, and hope tomorrow's better.
Mr Fissure
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mr Fissure » 20 Apr 2017, 14:25

So, Day 6 and I feel a slight improvement on yesterday. My OT sister called me when I was at a low ebb last night and reminded me how important it is to keep a positive attitude, and she's 100% correct.

I'm setting myself little targets to do a bit more each day, bearing in mind I'm also trying to rehabilitate an injured adductor.
Mr Fissure
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mypoorbutt » 20 Apr 2017, 14:53

Hi Mr F
I'm glad your still improving there will be times it feels a little tighter or more sore but that could just be the incision healing.
It's great your managing to stay positive as that really does help.
I hope you keep on making good progress
Mypoorbutt

Postby Mr Fissure » 21 Apr 2017, 09:23

Hi mpb, Thanks for the reassurance! Do you know how long your incision took to heal? And am I right in thinking its usually done on the opposite side to the fissure..?

Its a week to the day since my LIS and I'm getting intermittent stinging and itching today too, not helped I think, by the fact I might not have completed my BM properly this morning. On the positive side, my adductor feels a bit stronger today, so going to the Loo and sitz baths might become a little easier in future days..here's hoping!
Mr Fissure
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mr Fissure » 23 Apr 2017, 15:16

An up and down weekend.

Adductor has improved thankfully, which has allowed me to get out and about a bit. However, disappointed to feel the familiar old 'pulling' sensation in my bum (the fissure?!), when I picked up the pace even very slightly to walk alongside my dog. That said, have forced myself to sit a little longer than normal and I can manage about 20 mins now in a front room chair (something I couldn't do pre-op).

Still only Day 9, so guess I need to be patient, but signs are mixed at the moment, which is a little worrying...
Mr Fissure
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Mypoorbutt » 24 Apr 2017, 02:08

Hi Mr F
It's great your able to sit that's a massive step towards returning to normal life. Just think 2 weeks ago you were not able to do that.
I wouldn't worry too much about the pulling sensation, I doubt your fissure has completely healed in 9 days so the odd sensation from it is to be expected.
I think your doing amazing and have no doubt that in a few weeks you will be able to walk and sit as often or as little as you choose not as your fissure let's you.
Well done
Mypoorbutt

Postby Mr Fissure » 24 Apr 2017, 10:24

Thanks again for the supportive words, mpb, they're really appreciated. :smilyhug:

Its easy at times to get small setbacks out of proportion. Think I was probably expecting too much too soon, but considering when I went for my CRS appointment, it took me the best part of a fortnight to recover from the internal examination, expecting to recover from an LIS in less (and with a gammy adductor!) was probably unrealistic! :D

My sister must have picked up on my overall mood though, cos though I didn't tell her directly, she's come over from Chester today to offer me some help and make sure I'm doing all the right things - and she's in her final year of her OT degree, with final dissertation due in 2 weeks. I'm very lucky to have her support too!

As it happens, so far today, I'm feeling a bit better than yesterday, a little stronger all round...You are right though, I've 2 distinct areas of pain, either side of my BH, so pretty sure both my incision and AF are still healing.

Really hope you're still progressing well - do please let me know...

Take care
Mr F
Mr Fissure
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby GilmoreGirl » 24 Apr 2017, 10:33

It sounds like you're doing really well Mr. F! I'm so happy your recovery has been so good. As you say, patience is probably key here - but I bet in a few weeks time this will all be a distant dream!

Keep up the positivity and don't let a little setback here and there get you down. You got this!

-Gg
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Topics: 18