The LemonMan's Diary

Diary

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: The LemonMan's Diary

Postby LemonMan » 04 Mar 2017, 16:42

Well had my appointment at the hospital on Friday. As it happens I did see a different consultant, but by this time I was kind of resigned to the fact you don't have much choice in the NHS. As it happens the consultant was pretty good so I can't really complain.

Anyhow the short of it is they have put me down for investigation under general aesthetic, Botox, and banding of two hemorrhoids. He also told me I have two fissures, not one, one anterior and one posterior - but the posterior one isn't giving me any problems and I personally I believe it is an old one that has healed (leaving a skin tag).

So all a bit of a mess really. They've booked me in for the 8th of May, and unless I see significant improvement I guess I'm going ahead with it all.

I'm so disappointed my body can't fix itself, and I put this down to just getting older. I guess I have to put my faith in the NHS now and hope for the best. You hear people with lots of horror stories with banding and botox, but I guess the ones who don't have problems don't bother posting online. I hope for my family that all goes well.

I'm starting to give up on creams and ointments. Diltiazem worked for a bit, but did have some complications. Nothing else has really helped. I think I will use manuka honey occasionally but only to keep any bacterial infections at bay. My main plan over the next two months is two try and get fit. I noticed my blood pressure was on the high side in the hospital, so I'm keen to get that down before the treatment.

When I have the procedures done, I will update my diary as I know people are interested in how these things go.

Sending positivity to fellow sufferers.

Best, LemonMan
Aug 14: Anal Abscess diagnosed
Dec 15: Anterior Anal Fissure diagnosed
Jan 16: Anoheal - Thought was healed end of Jan
Apr 16: Anoheal - Thought was healed end of May
Sep 16: Fissure back. Started Anoheal again
May 17: Botox and banding - fingers crossed
LemonMan
VIP

Topics: 4

Postby Mypoorbutt » 06 Mar 2017, 09:57

Oh nooo LM that's not great but hopefully by summer you will be as good as new.
I don't think its age I think it's just the area it's in...my fissure refused to heal for over 28 months...I sliced into my thumb so bad I needed stitches and according to minor wounds doc I heal really well...was like ha you should tell that to my butt lol
I loved my Botox was back at the gym after 10 days and swimming and yoga botox was a breeze (ish) for me and gave me many pain free days. Can't comment on hem banding as my CRS disagrees with the process and only does it for extreme cases if the patient insists.
I too have stopped with creams I use my colodial silver for my hems after a flare but that's all now.
I'm sure everything will be fine...there aren't many Botox horror stories just that it tends not to work but there are lots of people it does work for...mamafizz was healed in 4 weeks from Botox, my CRS says he has a 94% success rate so fingers crossed for you
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby LemonMan » 14 Mar 2017, 02:40

Thanks for the encouragement MPB. It's really hard to know what the real success rate is with botox as you hear so many different outcomes. Fingers crossed though. Can only hope. I've seen some people have success with it here. Probably an important part of the procedure is that they will also be able to see the extent of the fissure. It would really help me to know how bad, or otherwise, it is.

This whole thing has changed my perspective on life. It's mad that there is such a debilitating condition that is so hushed up and can happen to anyone at anytime leaving you in agony for possibly years.

Anyhow, Hope things are steadily improving for you too.

Best LemonMan
LemonMan
VIP

Postby patience_and_healing » 09 May 2017, 23:06

Hi LemonMan, how did your procedure go? Are you doing well after everything is done?
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby LemonMan » 10 May 2017, 16:24

Hi Patience,

Thanks for asking :-) It got put back to the 22nd of May unfortunately, so currently just hanging in there. Have concluded that diltiazem isn't working for me - well it provides some pain relief, but no real healing. Like my doc said, I'm just treating the symptoms I think. Everytime I stop using it I seem to go back to square one after a few weeks. That's where I am at the moment. Hey ho... When I go for botox I will certainly be updating my diary with a start to finish account. Really hoping it works.. I guess I’ll soon fine out!

Best, LemonMan
LemonMan
VIP

Postby patience_and_healing » 10 May 2017, 20:01

Hope you can manage things until then! Wishing you speedy healing once the Botox is done with.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby LemonMan » 22 May 2017, 01:08

Well I'm here at the hospital. It's a nice Sunny day and I'm booked in for botox and banding. Can't say I am looking forward to it.

I've been asked to get to the hospital at 7:30am and not eat past 2am the previous night. I've also been instructed to have a large glass of water at 6am - which I have done.

Not really sure what to expect, but I believe the procedure shouldn't take long. I'd be surprised if they do anything before 9am, but I am hoping to be all done by midday. Just really hoping I am not in much pain afterwards, but I suspect I will be.

Have taken a week off work just in case. The funny thing is I have been okay the last week or so, but I've been okay before only to have the pain return.

The first part of the procedure is an EUA (exam under anaesthetic), and I'm really keen to know what they find, how bad (or good) the fissure is whether the consultant thinks botox will work - if I have a chance to speak to him afterwards.

I'm not looking forward to the anaesthetic either. I've had a general before, when they were dealing with my abscess and I felt fine afterwards, just hoping it'll be the same again.

Well it's 7:10, so I'd better book in.

Best, LemonMan
LemonMan
VIP

Postby Mypoorbutt » 22 May 2017, 04:54

Super super good luck LM fingers and toes crossed for a quick smooth healing.
You will do great and will be feeling back to normal soon
Keep us updated
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby chachacha » 22 May 2017, 07:54

It's too late to wish you luck, but I hope that all went really well!
Fissure since about 2007
Fissure diagnosed in 2011
Diltiazem for two years - didn't work well
LIS January, 2015
Hemorrhoidectomy December, 2017
chachacha

Topics: 19

Postby LemonMan » 23 May 2017, 07:01

Feel truly saddened by the tragic events in Manchester last night. Certainly puts things in perspective. Met some wonderful people in the hospital yesterday, from all sorts of backgrounds, all working so hard to help me and others in the ward, and yet there are others hell bent on doing the exact opposite. Such a shame.

Well anyway, I did promise I would send out my experience to share with others, so here goes:

Was taken to the ward at around 7:30 and asked the usual questions such as known allergies, when I last ate, drank, and if I was on medication etc. There were probably about 20 or so people in my ward for varying colorectal procedures, the chap next to me also in for botox.

Had to change into the usual hospital garments and then the surgeon came to explain the procedure to me. He explained the risks - the main one being loss of continence, but he explained that no-one had ever come back to him to complain of that. I then duly signed off the paperwork.

It was then a waiting game, and I tried to read my book. I was one of the last to head in, and walked with my assigned nurse to be anesthetised at about 11:30. They essentially lay you down on the hospital bed ask you the usual questions about what you do, what your hobbies are (to put you at ease) and then you fall under.

I vaguely remember coming to as I was being wheeled back to the ward. In true movie fashion as the fluorescent lights pass overhead as you look up from your bed. I had an oxygen mask on, which they removed when I got back. For a while I dozed in my bed but was fully awake by about 2pm. I estimated that the procedure took somewhere between 45 and 90 minutes. Longer than I expected.

I wasn't in any real pain - which was a relief. My coccyx was aching a bit and that was really it. My nurse offered me some jam and toast and a cup of tea, and I generally just relaxed for a while. He then came to explain what they had done.

They had started with an EVA, and then excised an anal polyp - not something I was expecting to have done. They then performed rubber band litigation of two haemorrhoids, and finally botox injections. Simon (my nurse) said I had quite a lot of procedures and was surprised I wasn't in more pain - as was I. He then ran me through my meds which included 2 x 500mg of paracetamol every 6 hours, Laxido every 12 hours (this looks to me to be the same as Movicol) and Diltiazem every 12 hours. The Diltiazem surprised me. I didn't realise you continued this once you had botox. The Diltiazem they gave me wasn't the usual Anoheal, but an unbranded version by UCL Medicine.

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to see my surgeon again, but have been given a follow up appointment in 3 months time.

I was then discharged and my wife came to collect me at about 5pm. It was a glorious sunny day and I was glad to be outside, if I did look a little like a penguin walking down the road.

Once home I checked my emails, still not in any real discomfort, except for a slight achy feeling, and then fell asleep. I woke up at about 11pm and went to the spare room to browse the internet and generally waste some time. At about 5am I felt a bowel movement coming on. I had been told that they had left some dressing in me that would come out with my first bowel movement...

This was when I was expecting the pain, and lots of blood... but no! It was painful but manageable, and surprisingly no blood at all. I could see the dressing, which was also a good sign. The main problem I had was the feeling that I hadn't fully emptied my bowels. I was sure I had, but had the sensation I hadn't, and this continued for about an hour afterwards. Apart from that no much to say. Apparently the haemorrhoids should fall off (internally) after a few days. I took the opportunity check myself out in the mirror and there was nothing scary looking.

I then went to bed and fell asleep waking up again about 9am.

So all in all it was a good experience, at least so far. No real horror stories in terms of pain. I've various different accounts of how long the botox will last from one to three months, but my guess is this is what the slight lack of sensation after going is all about. In terms of lack of continence, i.e. wind - nothing so far, everything thing is pretty much normal.

I'll post an update of how I get on soon, or if there are any unexpected changes. I think the acid test is in a weeks time when I am back in my car.

Until then, good luck everyone. LemonMan
LemonMan
VIP