I had my surgery this morning

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: I had my surgery this morning

Postby suzyljank » 27 May 2013, 01:12

Hi, sorry I didn't answer before, although my BMs vary in size I can now pass a BM a little larger than my thumb and that's with all the stitches still inside. Before the surgery they were as thin as a spaghetti noodle and that's not an exaggeration. I had scarred over severely. Suzy
suzyljank

Topics: 23
Mood: very optimistic

Postby ravians » 27 May 2013, 02:42

SUZY,
I really appreciate your brave attitude n high moral n ur courage n ur husband's support. I have been reading ur posts since ur surgery n I m keeping u in my prayers. I believe all the experience u have gone through u now have become an institute of from what u suffer. any wayhats off for ur courage. stay positive as u r are . eager to hear from u that " hurray I am healed." take care.
ravians
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby ravians » 27 May 2013, 02:55

please tell me what was the cause if ur stenosis , anal fissure or hemorrhoidectomy.
ravians
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby suzyljank » 27 May 2013, 05:04

Both caused my stenosis. The hemmohroid surgery narrowed the opening but the repeated tearing and attemted healing of my fissure built up the scar tissue even more. My CRS told me that if you have an acute anal fissure and seek treatment right away you have an excellent chance of healing it. But for those who have a chronic fissure you need to seek medical attention to find out the underlying reason the fissure will not heal. If you don't address that reason your chances of healing and staying healed go way down. It just took me a long time to realize I couldn't heal with diet and creams and stool softeners not matter how hard I tried. No one wants to go through the pain of butt surgery, it's a rough procedure but I ran out of options. I just wish I would have figured all this out sooner. I read so my horror stories out there that fear kept me from doing anything more about it. I think the more people share their experiences and most importantly finish their stories. The more it helps other people. Most people post until they feel better then they leave the group and we never find out if they are alright and resumed a normal life. I look for those posts that tell me the whole story and am so grateful when I can find them . This is one of the reasons I decide to share my journey. I hope I can help some else out there who is facing a similar situation not be so afraid. Suzy
suzyljank

Postby pinpin » 27 May 2013, 05:21

I am still wonder about these 25 years you lived ok.(till 2008 and first tear)
You never had constipation during 25 years?
How did it appear, that 25 years is ok living, but after nightmare begun
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby suzyljank » 27 May 2013, 05:49

Oh I had small problems right away. I always felt like I could never have a complete bowel movement, like I always had to go more but couldn't. But I also have Ibs so I thought that might be the problem although I tended more toward diarrhea with that. I started to use suppositories ( just preperation h) to help lubricate to make a BM more comfortable, I did that for a long time. i started having a burning sensation after a bm too but still didn't put it together.You see when I had the hemmie surgery my doctor warned me that years later I could have a problem with scar tissue but he never went into details so I didn't realize that was what was happening. No one put it together until I actually saw a CRS. I tried LIS in 2008 and it didn't help. If you catch this at the beginning you can sometimes treat it with dilation , stool softeners and diet changes. I've had bowel issues for a very long time but you kind of learn to live with them until that day comes when you can't. My day came last July when I just couldn't take the pain anymore. I quit doing the things I enjoyed and stayed home most of the time. I finally made an appointment this march to see my CRS again and had my surgery on April 26. Suzy
suzyljank

Postby pinpin » 27 May 2013, 06:05

So apart of not having surgery, what would you suggest by now? How to prevent this going worse?
I do understand it it difficult to remember now.
I think 25 years ago there were no Miralax or any supplements like now? Probably the ones we are now and got starting indications of stenosis, should do something to use till rest of of life?
There is one guy Harry on Healthboard using soluble supplements after hemmie surgery for 36 years.
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Postby suzyljank » 27 May 2013, 06:35

Hi. You need to get a diagnosis as to exactly what is causing your problem first and foremost and then you'll be given a course of treatment. For me even with the double advancement flap I will still be using a daily dose of miralax the rest of my life and I will have to do self dilation to exercise the muscle down there. Basically I will be taking extra care with my behind. I hope you find what works for you. Make sure you keep your bms soft and easy to pass, lubricate before a BM, it helps. Sitting on a warming heating pad helps with the spasming but even though these suggestions can help you, it's still a good idea to find out exactly what is causing your problem. I can't stress this enough, if your CRS suggests surgery don't run away like I did, ask about all your options and what he thinks will give you the best chance for recovery. If I would have listened in the beginning I may have saved myself a lot of years of pain. Just make sure you find a doctor you can trust. Sometimes your CRS won't have the best bedside manner, surgeons generally don't but that doesn't mean they aren't good at what they do, it just means their personalities stinks. I wish you all the best and hope you find a resolution soon. Suzy.
suzyljank

Postby pinpin » 31 May 2013, 00:23

Hello,
How are things Suzy? Everything went into routine?
I listened to you and visited a doctor on the subject of stenosis.
I raised only question about stenosis and my suspicions about it. He did digital examination with dicain, which hurted a bit in fissure place. He told everything is tender around, and there is no stenosis. Even more hi smiled so much and almost laugh when I offered GA and check with different diameters my hole. He told this is something not to be done at this stage and will make my fissures and healing places only worse. Not necessary! He was looking very convinced that I don't have any problems, and this fissure is just not healed wound from external hemm cuts.
He showed he wanted me to go away, and explained that stenosis is rigid ring formed from cut places which are located around anus, which makes openning narrowed when they connects and form scars.. As I had extensive cut only on one side(right) I cannot get any stenosis.
"Why do you I have thin BM?" The answer was following, you have unhealed wounds(ulcers, fissure) which reacts on bowel movement and spasm due to pain, therefore I am getting narrow BMs.
"What next?" Continue like I did, and time will heal everything.
So this is an outcome of my visit. Should I believe and continue? What do you say from your experience
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Postby suzyljank » 31 May 2013, 22:24

Hi, sorry your doctor wasn't very understanding. Anyone who has had hemmohroid surgery or any rectal surgery can form scar tissue but hemmohroid surgery is the number one cause of anal stenosis. If you realize this right away dilation is used to stretch the scarring along with the use of stool softeners. Flap surgery is usually your last option. Is there any way you could go to another doctor for a second opinion?
I just saw my CRS for my 5 week checkup. I tease him that it's like coming to a torture chamber. I had more stitches removed and 2 were bleeding some so he used some silver nitrate, that burns. He showed me how to do dilation at home. I have to do it once a day until my next appointment in 4 weeks. I was scared to try but managed to insert a 17 mm dilator this morning. I'm supposed to get to the 19mm but I'm doing this slowly. The doctor says I'm a week ahead of schedule on my recovery so that's good. I'm very sore today, I just broke down and took a pain pill. I usually manage without anything but after my office visit I was hurting. I can't wait until I'm finally healed but I'm getting there. Don't ever give up hope. I almost did but then I decided to keep fighting to get my life back. This surgery was very painful but not unbearable and most people have single flaps done. Find a good doctor you can talk to and trust. I hope someday soon, you feel better again too. Suzy and thanks for asking about me, I appreciate it.
suzyljank