What to do and not to do after surgery ???

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

What to do and not to do after surgery ???

Postby Fissulyna » 19 Dec 2007, 17:42

Dear friends, the D-Day is approaching fast. Image So, I am trying to be prepared as much as possible :roll: . If you have any last minute suggestions how to take care of the wound, or what to avoid please give me some input Image .
XOXOOOOOOOoooooooo :arwen:
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Re: What to do and not to do after surgery ???

Postby buttgirl » 19 Dec 2007, 18:23

I would eat only soup for a few days after the procedure and drink a lot of herbal tea--that is my answer for anything--lots of tea.
I'd also take precautionary doses of MOM. I know the drs. said resume a normal diet, but I would want to make sure all the constipating narcotics aer out of my system before beginning that.
good luck and let us know how you are ASAP.
Chris
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Deleted User 5 » 19 Dec 2007, 18:51

I would stay on the AF diet throughout the initial recovery time and chill, big time. It's what I did. I stayed in my room, me and the TV and the occasional visitor. Just rest, rest. Personally, if it were me, I'd keep a normal -to moderate amount of fiber intake going on. Just whatever your used to and works best. Drink fluids and use the painkillers as sparingly as possible. But use 'em if you need 'em by all means.
As for taking care of the wound, I did nothing. There's not much you can do, unless there is a discharge of some type, which I never had.
You don't want to get a loose BM, as the first day or two your sphincter will be weak and you may have an accident. But don't worry, it won't mean you're incontinent.
We'll all be waiting to hear back. And praying!
Deleted User 5

Postby Fissulyna » 19 Dec 2007, 19:09

:teddyluv: Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby juney » 20 Dec 2007, 00:28

lots of hot baths!! that's the most soothing thing. start taking 3-5 baths the day after surgery. i don't think you're supposed to take any the actual day of surgery, and you probably won't feel like it anyway.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Fissulyna » 20 Dec 2007, 12:39

Thanks Juney : ))) ! I hope I will be able to do that since I was "so lucky" to get my period last night of all days !!!!! : (((( I hope that you are feeling better since little setback you had couple of days ago ! Do you have any spasms still or you have pain only when you go potty ? I am going to the clinic in about 2 hours (brrrr..), and I have to administer enema myself - I have no idea how I will do that with spasm so strong and I already went to the bathroom this morning naturally _ and since I had not eaten anything since 7 pm last night - I don't see the point of one - but I will have to try. I am so thirsty already, I think that they are crazy with same rules with patients who have 8 am or 2 pm app. @!@#$$%! The only exception they made for me was that I could take Tylenol at 6 am for my period pain with 2 sips of water and only because I will not have general anesthesia. My other fear is hat they will not sedate me enough and that I will feel the needles and all : (((<.
Thank you Juney for writing : )
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Guest » 20 Dec 2007, 13:31

I wanted to see if you thought about taking Toradol instead of narcotics? I took those post-hernia repair surgery this Summer so I wouldn't worry about constipation.

Good luck-you won't feel it and you won't care. Versed is very nice.

That is goofy that they want you to do an enema. At least you get to self administer it!

Talk to you when you get back!!!

Postby juney » 20 Dec 2007, 15:37

good luck fissulyna!! i doubt you'll feel the needles, and if you do make you sure you let them know! hehe
and no i'm not having spasms. I've actually never had the "typical" spasms from my fissure. just pain, rawness, and soreness during and after bm. maybe that's why LIS didn't help me TWICE. but i'm doing much better now thanks!! the MOM helps me get back on track and even though my bms are like liquid now that's the only way i have no pain and i like it that way :)
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby happyass » 20 Dec 2007, 18:52

i love liquid bms too!
they are the best as long as they are not frequent and they are controllable!
nothing says soft like liquid crap!
hehehehehehe.....
good luck fissy!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 20 Dec 2007, 19:05

Yeah, I like when it just kind of oozes out with not much effort on my part.

:flush: