What to do and not to do after surgery ???

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: What to do and not to do after surgery ???

Postby Deleted User 5 » 23 Dec 2007, 08:19

Hey Fissy, I gave you a few comparisons on the other thread. Sorry I missed you yesterday! But it does sound like you are doing great, and your recovery is certainly going smoother than mine did!
Image Image Image Image Image Image
I'll check back in with ya'll soon!
Deleted User 5

Postby buttgirl » 23 Dec 2007, 14:57

I'm so happy you're doing well, Fiss. Perhaps one of these is in my future.
Please, please keep us posted.
buttgirl
King Fissure

Topics: 67

Postby Fissulyna » 23 Dec 2007, 19:10

Dear buddies,
I am not going anywhere !!! I will always keep you posted : ).
My doctor agrees with Kim - that I am doing better than most of his patients , but I don't know how other patients do - that is the problem ! No reference point : /.
So, I made my husband call doctor this morning to ask about swelling of one of my skin tags and my CRS almost laughed. He said that 2 -3 weeks any swelling is normal to be present, and I am just third day out of the surgery, don't need pain meds , no bleeding, no problem peeing , gained one pound and am worried ... Oh well, how am I supposed to know how butt should look like 3 days after LIS ; ( ??? Regarding burning of the skin, he said that it is normal too, that it is due draining form the anus which I do not see but he says it is minimal but must be there and even tiny amount irritate the skin. He suggested using some vaseline - I thought yea -right : P, but put some anyway. It did help! Burning is still there but I would say 50% less. Can't wait 2 weeks to pass so I can use aloe - I think it will sooth the area much more.
So, that is the report for today : ) !
I am eating everything but am taking 2 glasses of metamucil a day (one with lunch, one with a dinner), and I go poop 2 times a day, nice medium soft bms.
There is still some minimal discomfort going - just a twinge of pain on the left side where the incision was made and some n the site of he new fissure. No real pain , maybe 1 on the scale of 10. Just to remind you that yes - you had a surgery and yes - you still have a fissure to heal - so you better take care of yourself !!!!
HUG TO ALL !!!!!!!
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby happyass » 23 Dec 2007, 22:22

amazing fissy.
i am so happy that you are healing and progressing well.
big hugs,
gareth
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Fissulyna » 24 Dec 2007, 00:50

:teddyluv: Thank you Gareth ! Hope this swelling will go away - I don't like it - I think that skin tag is actually filled with left-over blood. I hope that my body will reabsorb it and that I will not need "draining" or such : /. I just had enough of probing and poking down there for 10 lifetimes !!!!
Did you buy all the munching goodies for tomorrow ? :koolaid: I just finished making Russian Salad and am so happy because there was not a single Christmas since I remember
me being in this world that I did not eat one. I was afraid that this year is going to be the first one, but thanks havens I was able to make it together with help of my hubby Image
BEAR HUG !!!
Last edited by Anonymous on 24 Dec 2007, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Guest » 24 Dec 2007, 10:30

I am so glad you are ahead of the curve in your healing. I know what you mean about the skintag. I would be so much better if that were gone. It does fee like it is full of blood. I think because yours is a result of the surgery it will subside with a little more time.

Remember those plastic surgery shows, how swollen people are afterwards and the doctor tells them not to look and not to judge because the swelling will take some time to go away. I remember when I have a hemorrhoid removed last year I made myself not look, touch or judge for several weeks because it was swollen from the surgery because I knew I would freak out and think it was still there. Just give yourself another week, look, touch and then wait another week. Otherwise you won't notice much of a difference.

I am ready for Christmas. My husband needs to put together one of the gifts and run to the store to get me what I need to make brunch tomorrow. But for the most part we are finished. Wanted to go to church today but I had to go to my daughter's Parent Program at school and sit for a few hours and that was just too much. I had to get up in the middle of the performance and sit on my side in the aisle for the rest of it.

Postby Deleted User 5 » 24 Dec 2007, 13:44

Fissulyna, it is amazing at how much blood the body can reabsorb. Can I tell you a scary and sorta nasty story?
When I had my appendectomy in 2002, either when they removed the drainage tube or inserted the catheter, they broke a blood vessel somewhere along my privates.
They sent me home. Later that day I went to pee, and low and behold, I saw blood pooling around my family jewels!
Not a fun thing to see!
I thought, OK, this will go away on it's on. Later I went back to pee again, and this time the blood was pooling along my you-know-what. I had a big sack of blood instead of a male, um, organ...
I freaked out and panicked and had my wife drive me straight away to the ER!!
Along the way I was thinking, OK, my sex life is over, I've lost my (you supply the word) and this is HORRIBLE!!!
After showing my bloody member to two nurses, the doctor finally arrived and acted so casual and sent me home. He said I was fine. easy for him to say, he still *HAD* a, um (you supply the word here)...
But sure enough the next day half the blood was gone and in a couple more days, poof, I just had a purple, um (you supply your own word here).
the moral of my scary story is, the body can reabsorb a LOT of blood, and I mean, a LOT!!
Get better fast now!!
Deleted User 5

Postby Fissulyna » 24 Dec 2007, 16:02

Oh THANKS Kim for definitely uplifting story in many ways ; )))) !!!! I can only imagine your horror - and I am complaining about bean size swelling !!! I feel ashamed now : (.
CRS told me that any swelling 2-3 weeks post op is absolutely normal, but you know - if you don't have reference point you can only guess what "is normal". BUT, after your story I definitely feel much calmer now - thanks so much for sharing !!! XOXO I hope my body will be able to absorb that stupid little hematoma.
The burning and itching is not something that I did not experience with with my first fissure - it is just that I attributed it to Nitro first time around and it was gone after I switched creams and actually stopped soaking. This burning and itching was gone completely when my first fissure healed , so yes, it is in my opinion related to skin being inflamed and irritated by surgery and new fissure still there- of course it will need 4-8 weeks to heal.
Soaks strangely do not help - to the contrary - my burning increase the longer I stay in the water which again points to the fact that the skin itself is a culprit. It calms down over night , but with first BM and than soak it is BACK
full force. I have soaks only because they said to have them to promote healing, otherwise I would rather skip them.
I will continue with them this week, than I will stop definitely.
I will do my best to get better fast ; ))) !!! I have to ........
Thank you again for everything my friend and may you have the most beautiful Christmas and the Happiest New Year Image XOXO
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Fissulyna » 24 Dec 2007, 16:20

Oh, I didn't see LECIA baby wrote me too : )))) !!!! XOXO I am so happy to hear from you !!!! You are right - it is hard to see progress by looking every day, ha ha, the only reason I actually was looking is that they said to watch for redness and any other sine of infection -so that is how I started looking ... : (. Kim calmed me down with his story : )<, and the only thing now that is driving me nuts is this burning - it is really strong , like my butt is on fire. It is hard to walk or sit on it since it makes it burn even more. I completely understand how you had to sit on your side today and I will not even attempt to go to Church today - it would be pure torture. I will watch mass at home on TV. I did not go out of the home since my surgery and I was not up and about much before surgery so I can't wait for all of this to calm down at least to manageable level so that I can start moving - very important because of my Fibro. Thanks God it somehow calmed down again (knock the wood) - "shock therapy" of sort, ha ha - just crazy, crazy life......
LU and may peace surround you this day and may New Year bring ALL of your wishes come true !!!!!!!! :(9:
Your :arwen:
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Guest » 25 Dec 2007, 06:28

Fis,
I am glad you are feeling well. I hope you heal fast. You have been thru enough. I wish I could take all your pain away. Merry Christmas!
Take Care
Patty