What to do and not to do after surgery ???

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: What to do and not to do after surgery ???

Postby Fissulyna » 28 Dec 2007, 16:06

Hi Sis XOXO : ))) !!!! I agree with what you say about your surgery and pain - same here. They told me that if they remove the darn thing I will be in much pain for 2 -3 weeks and I was like - well tell me about pain @#%^#@!!! Like I did not have non-stop pain for 5 months strait without ANY meds to help - shisssssh. If that is going to save me years of on and off flares - well so be it !!!
Your procedure is much more complicated , of course, and yes, since I was browsing hem. sites last night I found same info as you did. It will take about 2 months for complete recovery, but I think first 2-3 weeks will be the worst, than it will start getting better and better, maybe that is what they mean when they say "2-3 weeks". I am sure you will be able to handle it well - you know , by now we are so much conditioned to endure pain that nothing can faze us any more. Fortunately or unfortunately, doesn't matter ; ). WE have to push forward !
I tried Tucks - didn't help. Than I put some hem. cream that I ordered long time ago over the net when I still thought that I have hemies instead of fissure, it has ALL possible preferable plants and vitamins and Witch Hazel - didn't help at all. So, this morning I put plain Vaseline and my burning is less,
and although it can't possibly help the hemmie, at least I feel it less there, so be it. Girl doctor does not like it, but my butt does, and my butt has a saying here ; ).
Boy doctor still is not answering my call - so I had a pleasure of telling what happened to surgical center where I had procedure since they called to see how i was doing ; ). THERE !!!
Thank you for telling me about Dilitazem - I was about to try it today. It looks like they just want to be left alone , so maybe we should do that ?!?
Thanks for comforting me that draining is a good sine XOXO, I hate wearing pads 24/7, but what can person do ?
I will go now to health food store to see if they have any smart idea or something "unheard of" and I will let you know as soon as I come back. My hubby is not working today so he can give me a ride !
LOTS OF LOVE,
YOUR Fissy Image :arwen: Image
Fissulyna
VIP

Topics: 61

Postby Guest » 28 Dec 2007, 16:51

Hey Fissy,

I was thinking about trying Arnica? What do you think of that? It is used to help reduce swelling and bruising topically. You have probably left to go to the health store but maybe ask about this if you haven't.

I wonder too about making a poultrice out of potatoes. I know it sounds weird but my TCM practitioner had me shred a potatoe and use it as a compress when I had mastitis when I was breastfeeding and within a day the lump was gone. I have read on hem sites about people using them as suppositories (that sounds terrible) so maybe there could be some use.

I used the hydrocortisone today and last night and consequently my bootie feels like it has been burned. Does anyone know if it can cause irritation? I thought it was supposed to relieve that!

Postby motherluch » 28 Dec 2007, 20:07

Hi Guys,
Just reading all of your posts, and I have to make my usual suggestion...try Gold Bond powder. Years ago, when I was only 19 years old and working as a nurse, in terrible pain from being on my feet with my hemmorhoids, an old time nurse told me to throw out all creams and anything that kept the area moist, and try Gold Bond powder to cool the area and keep it dry. To this day, I use it all the time when I feel any type of irritation, or apin from my hemmies and it is the only thing that helps me to deal with it. After a bath, dry off, even blow dry the area and put a lot on a cotton pad and blot the area until it is covered with the powder. Repeat it throughout the day, and see how you feel. Good Luck!!
motherluch
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 25

Postby happyass » 28 Dec 2007, 21:20

motherluch may have something here.
i forgot who was talking about the tinactin cream and i went out and bought it because my hemmy was misbehaving and i had an itch. lo and behold, the tinactin helped.
lecia, that potato idea sounds interesting. do you think lubing the potato would be counter-productive since i can't imagine it going in as a suppository, even if cut in the shape and size of a small french fry, be very comforting?
this can be in the first segment of pimp my @ss!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby val » 29 Dec 2007, 08:22

Hey Lecia, I had mastitis too,and I had to put cold cabbage leaves on mine-haha! Do you think the midwives are some kind of vegetable advertisers! Actually, it did work!
Regarding the hydrocortisone cream, I used some when I first had the abcess, because I thought it was a hemmy, and it burned like crazy,so that got thrown away pronto!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Fissulyna » 29 Dec 2007, 15:22

Hey guys I am back (from the store and from the "slumber", ; ). Didn't discover anything new in the store : (, specifically for the hemmies , so I just put Vaseline on my butt and was trying to find something in my herbology books that I kept after finishing Hogworts School . Mrs. Sprout taught me many wonderful things , and yes most nurses went to school with Harry Potter too. Cabbage leaves are used in my ex country for mastitis too , and shredded potato is used as antipiretic (people put it on their feet when they have high fever _ AND IT WORKS !!!!) Fever goes down fast ! There are many wonderful plants that can help many maladies - they were used for thousands of years all over the world. That is why - I repeat- some good shaman would help us all long time ago, but, since we can't move out of the house to nearest grocery store, not to mention travel to some distant rain forest in a search of a cure, we have to deal with this the best we can. Some people swear with yogurt compresses for hemmies, especially after hemmie surgery.
Now, to come back of what advice I got from "nature store". He suggested that we should work on the whole body , not just our butts and work on making our bodies free of toxins and have some general tonics that would promote general healing. So, I ended up buying Pycnogenol - the strongest antioxidant that exists and repairs ALL tissues , especially vains and capillaries , also stops any inflammatory processes, and is also muscle relaxant , even helps with ADD (may be of interest to Val for her son). Second
thing that I bought was Thurmeric - also antyinfl. supplement - and I will start with them this morning.
I will try topically that Gold Bond powder when I have a chance to buy it, in the mean time maybe I will try Chamomile compresses - maybe I can make a tea and put tea bag between my buttocks- very sexy indeed !!!!
LOVE TO ALL
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Fissulyna » 29 Dec 2007, 15:49

Lecia Sis : ), I am not sure that Arnica can be put on mucous membranes : (. It is very potent plant and helps really well with bruises and sprains, but some people
are sensitive to Arnica, have allergic reactions and such - ugh - I would hate you getting some rash down there too : ( . In my Herbology book those plants are recommended : Aloe (internally and externally)
Butcher's Broom (internally and externally)
Comfrey (again either as a tea or ointment for outside application)
Horse Chestnut (internally and externally)
Mullein (Mullein oil outside)
Plantain (ointment)
Slippery Elm (as a tea and externally applied to hemm.)
Stone Root (as a tea before rectal surgeries )
Witch Hazel (outside use)
The problem was that none of those herbs were available at the store $^^&^$%@ (except W. Hazel), and S. Elm ( only as a tea), and Aloe which we already all tried.
I saw Plantain tincture and I bought it, and will start taking it.
Sorry buddy that my expedition wasn't so productive, but maybe those tonics would help our bodies to repair themselves !!!! Who knows ...
:_):
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Guest » 29 Dec 2007, 19:38

Thanks for the heads up on everything, I have been putting a potato slice on my bum today. It feels good while it is on there but pain comes back after I take it off.

I now found 3 clots and I hope that the CRS can see me on Monday so we can at least schedule the surgery sooner. I have the skin tag and then two spot up the same vein with clots. It hurts so bad I couldn't even poop this morning. Can't figure out why I keep getting these. My hubbie is out of town so I have to see if a friend can take me maybe. But I know this week will be tough with the holiday and all.

I have heard of pycogenol before. I hear it is really good stuff. Maybe I will try some. I ordered some Acai berry supplement which is supposed to be a good anti-ox that Gareth was telling me about.

Well, I am throwing out the hydocortisone-it burned so bad and swear it made everything worse.

Maybe cabbage leaves would help as a remedy. Do you think I should make french fries with my used potatoes? Tee hee!

I take Stone Root, Butcher's Broom and Horse Chestnut supplements. I have been on so many supplements that are supposed to help vein health but apparently its results are lost on me.

Postby Fissulyna » 29 Dec 2007, 19:57

Heeeeeeeeyyyyy - just posted something about skin tags and noticed nobody is around - but guess what - my Leci IS !!!!! : ))))))
I just discovered on that thread how one person found great help soaking butt in (yes already mentioned) Chamomile tea with some salt. I will try Chamomile tonight, and after that I will put some St. John Wart oil on the hemie, - yes , that herb is good for ulcerations and inflammation too, internal and external - so I will let you know if I wake up with something worse or not ; ).
Yes, you should make french fries LOL, and bring it as a treat to CRS that you hate , ha ha haaaaaa
I am so sorry to hear that your pain is worse : (, and I really hope that you will be able to have surgery earlier ! I hate to hear that you suffer : ((((. I wish I could find something that would help till CRS jumps on your butt and cut that darn thing out once and for all !!!!!!!!
LU XOXOOOOOOOOOoooooooo.....
Fissulyna
VIP

Postby Fissulyna » 30 Dec 2007, 15:32

Dear Lecia,
Just an update : ) ! I tried chamomile tea and white oak tincture mix and situation down there looks better !!!! I didn't try St. Johns yet since this looks promising. I dipped two cotton rounds (those for eye make-up removal) in a tea in which I added 30 drops of White Oak tincture and put puffs between my cheeks. Burning was gone, pain was less but what is the most encouraging is that tags look smaller and less irritated. So I even left cotton rounds over nigh and am using them this morning after my BM. It is too early to be too optimistic, but even small steps are steps ; ).
How are you doing today baby ? Did you find somebody that would be able to take you for a check-up ? I hope so : ( !!!!!!!!!
Write when you find time, I get worried when I don't hear from you : (...
XOXOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo.....
Fissulyna
VIP