Botox Hem Diary

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Botox Hem Diary

Postby Rachael 1984 » 15 Jun 2014, 03:24

Thankyou so much everyone..... I love all of you.

I haven't had the official results yet from my CRS, I will be ringing his secretary this week to see when I have an appointment. Waiting on the NHS is crap! If I can't have the LIS I will push for flap surgery. My issue is that I temporary heal then just re-tear..... When I visit the CRS he says it all looks healed, which is so frustrating when I still get pain and symptoms of Fissures, that I feel he doesn't believe me.... I will hit the 2 yr mark this September, and it's just too long to suffer with this hell. I want my life back! I hope one day we can all heal fully and have normal bottoms again!

Praying for you all! God knows what I'd do without all of you on this forum! Xxxxx
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Topics: 26
Mood: Please heal!

Postby Rachael 1984 » 20 Jun 2014, 08:57

Crap crap crap.... A damn plug BM has sent me into hell!!!
I haven't changed anything and still doing my routine. I just want to jump off a bridge!
Has anyone else had this after having what I would consider some good days? I just give up!
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Rachael 1984

Postby Roidsfizzman » 20 Jun 2014, 12:06

Hi Rachael,

I also deal with IBS and a fissure for 3 years. Stool consistency is a major issue for me as I can go from watery stools to hard stools in a two day period. If I did not have a BM with in 24 hours, I was more likely to have a hard stool.

Something that could cause me a hard stool was sweating on a hot day as the first place the water left was the stool. I also found that if I slept for 7 or 8 straight hours with no water I was more likely to get a hard stool, so I had to drink water in the middle of the night. The water about 6oz in the middle of the night helped me a lot.

I did LIS about 7 weeks ago and I did not even know my resting pressure before surgery. Before surgery I could not pass a stool without some pushing. Most of my stools now I do not need to push. I have been having a slow recovery but I do have some normal days now and no major fissure pain since LIS.

I am Sorry that you are having such a hard time recovering.
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby soey » 20 Jun 2014, 13:23

Hi Rachael1984!
I'm so sorry for all the problems you've had.. your diary post has 47 pages.. i can't even begin to imagine the hell you've been through :( I'm getting my botox in two weeks, fingers crossed.. won't have the strength to fight this for years and years..
i truly admire you for your strength! I've never been a big fan of praying, but i sure will put one out there for you <3
soey
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 18

Postby Rachael 1984 » 20 Jun 2014, 15:17

Hi RF,
Are you in America? I'm glad that you are on the way to recovery after the LIS. I wish I could go ahead now with the LIS. I'm waiting for the CRS after having the pressure test.... IBS doesn't help does it? I'm so much better following the FODMAP plan, but I still can't fully control my BMs... It's so frustrating, as I've had a good run lately then it's been ruined again by the stupid plug this morning. Drinking water in the middle of the night is a good idea, but not sure if I'd be up all night peeing!
Did you keep re-tearing like I do? I just can't seem to be able to find the strength to go on much longer with this crap!

Thankyou soey, I need those prayers at the moment. I don't know how I've gone on for nearly 2 years with this hell. The nearest bridge is appealing when I'm in hell pain..... I just want a CRS to sort me, on the second one already, I hope he can help me! Holding a gun to his head might be an option soon.... :groan:
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Rachael 1984

Postby Roidsfizzman » 20 Jun 2014, 17:25

Hi Rachael,
I really like the rabbits on your photo. I live in Dallas, Texas USA and it gets really hot in the summer. Over the 3 years I healed and re-tore at least 10 times and all it took to re-tear was one hard stool. Most of the time I would re-tear at the beginning of the stool. When I would re-tear I was so angry because I knew that I was going to be in fissure hell for a while. I am 63 years old and the CRS told me I would have a 30% chance of incontinence with LIS because of my age. With Botox I would have a 50/50 chance of healing as my fissure had muscle fibers exposed and rounded skin edges, so I choose LIS with a 95% healing rate but with the high risk of incontinence. I have not lost any stools but when I get the urge I do need to find a restroom soon as the stools just jump out. You need to consider taking the next step on your fissure treatment, so you can retire the rabbits and get on with your life.
When you did Botox, did they do any edge trimming of your fissure and cauterize the base?
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby Rachael 1984 » 21 Jun 2014, 03:18

Hi RF,
The Rabbits are funny aren't they? I think sometimes i'd rather have a hole in the head than Fissure pain.....wow Dallas! I bet it's an amazing place! I want to see America one day. My first port of call is going to be New York. I just can't face the flight and travel at the moment in this Fissure hell. So you kept re-tearing ,I get angry too, I cry and cry and this doesn't help with stress levels.I admire you for taking the risk on the LIS, I'm sure I would do it.

My first CRS only seemed keen on Botox, so he did it last April. It only temporary gave me relief and he saw another Fissure at my 3 month check up, but insisted I try and heal naturally again. I demanded a second opinion so he referred me to another CRS at the same hospital. The new CRS has done pressure test and ultrasound to see if I can have LIS. He said he won't do LIS if my pressure isn't high, but he's not a fan of Botox due to its low success and it's only a temporary fix. So, I'm waiting for my follow up appointment...... I'm praying that I can get my life back and be pain free. These fissures have totally taken over my life. I didn't want to live last year and I ended up on antidepressants to help me through. I've learnt to deal with it nowadays much better, but I can't live with this forever. I just want this new CRS to help me!

I've also had skin Cancer, my dad has passed away, so I think the stress of other life situations hasn't helped.... When I had the Botox, it was just Botox and hem banding. He even said my case was chronic, so I think he just went for the first line treatment. On the NHS in England they do that! It's crap really, I have considered going down the private route if I don't get any joy with the new CRS soon........ Xxxxxx
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Rachael 1984

Postby soey » 21 Jun 2014, 05:14

It's funny how doctors tells us to try'n 'heal naturally'. They clearly don't know how much this can effect mentally. There's so much more than just the pain. Don't get me wrong, the pain is terrible, but when you start getting depressed, and praying for death, they should do something. When i was in the hospital, i felt like my life didnt matter anymore, if you know what i mean? doctors, familymembers, friends, my boyfriend.. no one seems to understand this, because to them, it's 'just a tear in the anus'. But it effects everything! I know you've been suffering for a long time, so have I. almost 9 years now.. but not as bad as the past 4 months.
Take my edvice; Go down the private route, like i did. It's expensive, but worth it. They will(unless you meet some a**hole), do everything they can to help you. The sooner, the better.
And the best part about the private health care for me, was the fact that i didnt have to wait for hooours and hooours in a waiting room with terrible pain. I've met my share of idiots in the public healthcare, and i was misdiagnosed several times, and got the wrong treatment -.- I don't mean to blame them, but alot of my depression comes from the fact that they make me feel like my life isnt worth saving..
Hope things work out for you <3 And don't you dare give up, there is light in the end of the tunnel, but NOT if you quit now! Best of luck!!
soey
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 18

Postby JHH » 21 Jun 2014, 12:08

Hi R :-)

Just wanted to pop in, and tell you to keep fighting, and to remember there are better days ahead.
I sure hope the test shows a high pressure, so you can have LIS.

Big hugs!

/J
- Fissure developed in Jan '13
- Started rectogesic in Feb '13 and diltiazem Apr '13.
- Got botox Jun '13
- Healed by Okt '13, although I still had some irritation for about a year.
- New fissure April '22, healed June 2022
- New fissure 24. December 2023
JHH

Topics: 16

Postby Roidsfizzman » 21 Jun 2014, 13:01

Hi Rachael,

The only time that I have been to NY is on a lay over at JFK airport when flying to London. I liked London, but I had a hard time figuring out the train system and I did not dare drive as everything was backwards to me. In Dallas we drive everywhere as there is not much public transportation. Where do you like in the UK?

I am please that you are doing better with the mental side of dealing with the fissure. I had some type of fissure pain for about 14 weeks straight and it was amazing how good I felt after two or three days with no pain. Make your plan for your next step and see yourself without out the fissure pain and It will happen. You need to stay positive through the fissure hell and I know it is hard because I have had those bad thoughts.

The NHS in England seems like a tough heath plan to get the medical care that is needed to recover. It appears that the doctors are in control of the treatment. In the USA the insurance companies have a lot of control of treatment because they may not pay for some treatments. My LIS cost me about $3,000 dollars out of pocket. The total cost was about $10,000 and my insurance paid the other $7,000.

You have a lot of knowledge about fissure treatment and ask a lot of question of your doctors and this will arm you with making the best treatment plan. I asked my doctor so many questions she was turning her eyes up but I wanted to know all my options and how the procedures worked and my risks. She is an excellent doctor and she was 8 and a half months pregnant on the day of my surgery. Right before the Surgery she asked how I was doing and I said "the bigger question is how are you doing"? The day of my surgery it was her last day of work before her pregnancy leave. It was funny because the doctor the nurse and receptionist were all pregnant in her office. My doctor had a boy one week after my surgery.
Roidsfizzman
Proctosphincteranalogist