Diary - LIS in a few weeks!

A place for you to keep a record of your healing or surgery.

Return to Diaries

Re: Diary - LIS in a few weeks!

Postby Mr Fissure » 09 May 2017, 16:13

So, so, sorry to hear you're having such a tough time of it GG. I can't offer much advice, but just thought I'd pop by and give you a little moral support (as you have done me many a time!). :smilyhug:

At least you have a schedule of apppointments next week, which might help you get to the bottom of your current issues.

Good luck, GG, I'm keeping my fingers x'd for you, as others have said you have age and fitness on your side and you will get better!

Mr F
Mr Fissure
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 2

Postby mamafizz » 09 May 2017, 16:35

oH YES, you have the plan in place, somthings gotta give, I was having histimine issues a while back, hormones and stress---but your plan sounds hopeful= this combo may just do the trick ! And the info on the link is helpful also!!
mamafizz
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 1

Postby GilmoreGirl » 09 May 2017, 16:57

Thanks mamafizz - hope you're right! I'm hoping this diet is worth it. I'm limited basically to meats, eggs, some veggies and nut butters/oils for the first week - it's called the SIBO biphasic diet in case you're interested. Not gonna be lots of fun but maybe will help.

Thanks so much Mr.Fissure for stopping by. Your support is really appreciated! Still on a positive track with recovery?

-GG
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Topics: 18

Postby mamafizz » 09 May 2017, 17:23

GG Thanks, what is this diet suppose to do? Eggs/dairy ok? Surprised at the meat part too? Everything I read says no meat... hmmm. But whatever works, it's trial and error I suppose.
mamafizz
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby GilmoreGirl » 09 May 2017, 18:03

Not dairy at least for the beginning. It's all about treating small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. The dietician is thinking that with the combo of colonoscopy preps and antibiotics wiping out both good and bad gut flora, plus slow transit due to painkillers (allowing bad bacteria to flourish in the small intestine) I may have an overgrowth of unwanted gas producing bacteria in the small intestine. This could also explain the stomach pain and loose stools.

The diet starves the bad bacteria of all sugar compounds - that means all carbohydrates including fruits and many vegetables, and sugars like lactose in dairy (so anything with an -ose ending, galactose, glucose, fructose,) as well as sugar alcohols like artificial sweeteners (end in -ol, malitol, sorbitol, xylitol, etc). The bacteria begin to die off quickly when they have no sugar to consume.

Then in the next few weeks the diet is a little more lenient - and you take an antimicrobial to kill off the rest of the bacteria. Because you have already starved them, the die off (and therefore discomfort) is minimal from the antimicrobials. The diet at this stage is continued for three months.

When the antimicrobials are done, probiotics (GOOD bacteria) and a prokinetic agent (like senna, to keep the intestines moving) are added to keep the bad bacteria away.

Here's the link:

https://sibotest.com/handouts/SIBO_Diet_FINAL.pdf

Who knew that advanced biochemistry would come in handy lol. I've suspected that SIBO may be a problem for me as I seem to have stomach cramps about an hour after eating and getting worse onwards, and then difficulty having a bm until the next morning when my system dumps everything - it seems as though my food moves slowly through the small intestines and then too rapidly through the large intestine.

SIBO is often related to fat malabsorption (causing loose stool), B12, D and iron deficiency (all of which I'm at the bottom of the range for - below the recommended level for B12). I have all these problems so it seems like a good fit. The breath test diagnoses it - you fast then the byproduct of the bacteria is measured in your breath. You then drink a sugar liquid, and measure your breath in intervals afterwards, to see if the byproduct has increased significantly compared to baseline levels. If so, SIBO is a possible culprit.

It may or may not work but my diet is very high in carbs now, and if anything it will be very healthy so not too much downside.

I could point you towards some good scientific literature I've found on the subject if you're interested.

-GG
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Postby mamafizz » 09 May 2017, 19:38

Oh wow I have a good feeling about that.. I think this is going to work for you, the system has been bombarded by so many factors. I really don't have any stomach or intestinal pain. I am pretty regular now, seem to have found the right diet that I shared-- eventually I will add more little by little. I would like the info tho as I am sure there are better food combo's then what I am doing..plus, B12 and B6 I think will b great. Iron gets constipating alittle. Right now for me its just this residual muscle thing/tailbone. So once that's gone I will feel great. Once you get the stomach issue clear it will be a smoother recovery sail. Thats the thing the gets me is that when Doctors treat issues they dont seem to take all into consideration and one thing ends up aggravating another. Then it becomes ongoing treatments...ugh thats what takes so long. How is your pain level? Any remaining muscle issue? Are you still aware of the area all day long? If your able to sleep well at night that is a good time for healing to take place.
mamafizz
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby chillblue » 10 May 2017, 07:29

Hi GG. I see you are still having issues after your LIS and im so sorry for that. We talked a few weeks ago on a different thread. I was wondering if you were still having issues with tightness??? I know you said it subsided after a few weeks, but i wanted to see if it felt like it came back. I am at day 12 today, and i am still bleeding during bowel movements from the incision spot. My stools are soft, but when they come out they feel hard, and it still feels tight to me. Just curious to see how you have healed up to the point where you are now.
chillblue
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Mypoorbutt » 10 May 2017, 07:51

Oh Hun that sounds promising lots of options and and things to try. I'm sure the hypnotherapy will work really well on the IBS.
My friend did the SIBO diet and yes it was very restricted but it did seem to work really well for her. Although she has had a couple of relapses since.
There are lots of lights at the end of the tunnel for you Hun just got to keep going you will get there
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby GilmoreGirl » 10 May 2017, 08:24

Mamafizz it sounds like you're continuing to do well! I still am aware of the area at most times, and the pain can get unbearable when standing. The muscles still feel tight especially after a bowel movement. I don't think the issue has been resolved, just some of the pain has been relieved from not allowing it to tighten quite as much.

Chillblue - I am still having problems with tightness, although it is looser than it was pre op. Mostly seems to tighten up for a few hours after a bm and especially when standing. Also feel a tightness elsewhere in the pelvis, sometimes tailbone or vaginally.

Mpb - hoping the diet will be worth it. Starting now so maybe will see some improvements over the next couple of days.

I'm finding the effectiveness of the senna is wearing off and I'm waking up bloated and gassier than normal. Has anyone tried alternating senna and dulcolax? I really need something that is more than a stool softner to make it easy to go or else I'm stuck straining or with an even more upset stomach.
GilmoreGirl
VIP

Postby mamafizz » 10 May 2017, 10:49

GG, Have you tried organic ground flaxseed? Seems to work. Also it seems that the connecting muscles are what lingers. As you already know the internal sphincter connects to the other muscles & overcompensate when this has been frozen or relaxed with LIS. So there is more tension in those and takes much longer for them to readjust- they can't cut all of the muscles in there. They are so just intertwined and are a thick band of muscles.. The only time they get to really rest is when we are asleep. So it takes soo long since they have been in such constant contraction for so long. Ever so gradual but they will relax with time. It prolongs it when we become anxious. Easier said then done. But it will happen... Hang in there all...
mamafizz
Proctosphincteranalogist