LIS Surgery and Recovery Diary

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: LIS Surgery and Recovery Diary

Postby torninhell » 10 Nov 2013, 12:38

Hi Everyone!

Wow I know I've been gone for so long. But you know what? After things started to heal I was able to pick up with work again and my hours steadily went from 20 to 30 to 35 to 40 and now I'm at 50 hours a week! It's a bit insane, but things have definitely improved for me lately, at least when it comes to my life. It does bring me some undue stress, but that's just part of it.

In terms of my health, I'm still not at 100%. I've been noticing some changes in my body lately. I had my surgery June 22nd and hadn't seen my doctor since but in the third week of October I felt something that I ALWAYS dread when I'm on the toilet. The consistency of my stool changed quite a bit and as a result I ended up feeling that dreaded pinch and tear and bam, I had another fissure in the exact same spot as my old one. Fearing a re-tear, I scheduled an appointment with my CRS immediately and started taking EXTRA EXTRA care of my bum. See I've been feeling tightness lately, and my bowels don't feel the same. Like..when I have to poop it doesn't feel the same way as it did before? Like sometimes I hardly even notice the signals my body gives me. Does that even make any sense at all?

In any case, I saw my doctor after 6 days and after checking me out he said it was just an acute (phew!) fissure, and that with extra care it should go away on its own. He did give me an gel/ointment called Curiosin (not sure about the spelling) for wound management and I've been using it religiously twice a day. Any itch is gone as well as any discomfort--I NEVER feel anything at all, unlike when I was only applying VCO, where there would still be an itch and a twitch here and there. Sometimes if I feel like doing something extra I wait a few minutes after applying the gel and top it with VCO.

Anyway, it's a journey. I'm still trying to get where I need to be, which is 100%. But the important thing is I no longer get the same pain as before, and this no longer hinders my life, at least for now.

Since the new acute tear I've been taking extra care. I've been complacent with my eating lately, so to compensate I've started taking some psyllium husk fiber pills daily (nothing big, maybe 1 or 2 grams first thing in the morning) along with 1000mg of coconut oil--usually taken before breakfast. I've also taken to drinking at least 2 liters of water a day again. I'm trying to get into exercising at least daily, since I sit about on my bum working at home for 50 hours a week. No bueno. OF COURSE I crashed and burned this past weekend--it was my birthday on Friday so tons upon tons of delicious food over the past few days, but I never forgot my fiber and my coconut oil... I felt the effects of the bad diet on the toilet today and seriously, I need some encouragement to get back on track to eating healthily for my bum. Please? :x Self discipline comes so difficultly.

I've regained all the weight I lost over the worst time of my fissure, and a little bit more. Because it's so difficult to stop myself from eating all the food that I couldn't before. >.> But I can do this... Right!?

Sorry for being long winded. I miss everybody and I'm going to try to be around more often--this place is amazing! Love the new look too.

Much love!
Torn
torninhell
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby rio » 10 Nov 2013, 14:55

Hello Torn, I ve just read your posts and I am glad that you are doing well now and that your new acute fissure healed. You mentioned Curiosin. I googled and find out that Curiosins active ingredient is Zinc Hyaluronan http://www.curiosin.com/Curiosin/What_is_Curiosin/ My dr. suggested to try some form of hyaluronate for my chronic fissure (I run out of possibilities because every ointment so far caused me more burniing). I have sodium hyaluronate suppositories but they also have tea tree oil and it is too strong.
Did you apply Curiosin internally? (VCO is virgin coconut oil?)
Disabling burning, drilling pain in anal area for almost a year, started after UT infection. Small anal fissure diagnosed, turned out it is probably not the cause of pain, MRI shows no inflammation or fistula. Grateful to forum members for support.
rio
VIP

Topics: 12

Postby torninhell » 10 Nov 2013, 20:15

Hi Rio, yes VCO is virgin coconut oil. No, I do not apply Curiosin internally. I do apply virgin coconut oil internally if I feel like it. I have some that I mixed with Guava leaf extract. :) I have to find a way to more efficiently extract the oil from the leaves but I can only get herbal oil with what's available to me.

The Curiosin doesn't sting in the slightest, even though I thought it would. The trick is to apply very thinly.
torninhell
Salt Bather

Postby pinpin » 11 Nov 2013, 02:16

Wow! Wonderful news Torn!

LIS worked for you and this super!
07.02.2013 - got open hemorrhoidectomy, leaded to slow healing wound. Link to story
11.12.2013 - LIS surgery
pinpin
Administrator

Topics: 42
Mood: Good

Postby splinterboy2013 » 16 Nov 2013, 18:46

hey torn, Glad you made progress following your LIS. I wish you would have come back and updated us on your progress like you said you would. I think i PMed you a few times but you didnt bother to respond, but i dont blame you, once people heal they go on their merry way.
splinterboy2013
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby torninhell » 16 Nov 2013, 22:47

Hi Splinter, if you read my update post above I gave reason as to why I've not updated in a long time. My life has been pretty busy. I did apologize, and I apologize again. There isn't really much to chronicle anyway--I've done the same routine (minus the sitz baths--I just use the showerhead with hot water during showers now) since I had LIS.

And if you have read my post you will see I am not fully healed, nor am I at a 100%--I still tear when I have stool that isn't soft in texture. Really all LIS did for me was lessen my internal resting pressure so the pain wouldn't be as bad and I would be allowed to heal.

However the times that I have re-torn have stung. But the pain was not to the extent of the worst pain I'd felt. But every day I apply curiosin twice a day, and apply coconut oil+guava leaf extract as well.
torninhell
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 2543 » 17 Nov 2013, 05:36

Hi torn, your back :).
I'm glad to read you are doing well although not 100% pg in time you will heal fully. It's great not to have that terrible pain & LIS really helps with it. I am fully healed a few mths now :)
Keep doing your routine you'll get there :)
Deleted User 2543

Postby FissureHome » 20 Nov 2013, 16:56

Geeze after read all these different topics throughout this site i didnt realize what a journey this was gonna be :( im 2 months from being diagnosed and i already cant take it anymore! Although im not bleeding and seems like some poeple have it worse than me it has taken over my life..im not sitting at all..Good Luck Healing!
FissureHome
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 16

Postby torninhell » 22 Nov 2013, 11:33

Edel94 wrote:Hi torn, your back :).
I'm glad to read you are doing well although not 100% pg in time you will heal fully. It's great not to have that terrible pain & LIS really helps with it. I am fully healed a few mths now :)
Keep doing your routine you'll get there :)

I hope I will heal fully soon! And wow, congratulations on being fully healed!!! The most difficult thing for me is laying off the food that I'm not supposed to have :x FOOD IS JUST SO YUMMY!

But I'm so happy for you that you healed Edel, here's to hoping you never have the same problem again! :Rock:

FissureHome wrote:Geeze after read all these different topics throughout this site i didnt realize what a journey this was gonna be :( im 2 months from being diagnosed and i already cant take it anymore! Although im not bleeding and seems like some poeple have it worse than me it has taken over my life..im not sitting at all..Good Luck Healing!

It definitely is a journey FissureHome. It's halfway in between frustrating to death and at times hopeful, or even joyous when you start healing. The relief when I was able to #2 without pain was tremendous. Good luck with healing and I hope that you can heal without surgery! :hugs:
torninhell
Salt Bather

Postby 1972xlh » 22 Nov 2013, 15:27

Hello all. Thanks for the posts and maintenance of this site. If it were not for this support group I do not know how I would have made it through this year. Your advice has been SO helpful and appreciated. I was diagnosed with a fissure in jan 13. I went to see the DR scared of the pain and bleeding I was having. Sometimes it was from a tear or hem, and other episodes seemed to come out of nowhere and be very alarming. I treated with Nitro for 6 mos and was told I needed surgery as the fissure would not heal or was re tearing. I went to another DR had colonoscopy and nifed cream for another few mos. Surgery recommended again by 2nd Dr. So, finally had LIS and fisssurectomy plus tag removal 4 days ago. I am freaking miserable. I expected the worse, but this is worse than I expected. One night after my operation the cat was begin attacked in the garage and I jumped out of bed so fast I think I tore something. That or the BM I had shortly thereafter. I tried not to strain, but it seemed stuck and wouldnt come out all the way and was very uncomfortable. So I did strain a little. Blood increased for a while. When the nurses called to check on me they didn't seem concerned. Lots of pain and some bleeding is expected. I can now see a visible cut or tear or gash and it feels like I have a hem down there. It is hard and throbbing on the outside and making it harder to pass stool. hem was supposed to be removed but ins decided it was pre exisiting cond so they denied that portion. asshats. Now i think the stupid hem is causing complications with healing. Right accross the middle of the swollen hem is a one inch tear with another small tear to the side. My hubby thinks they are from the tag removal. This isnt even what i thought was my tag! THAT was still there? I am SO confused. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I am in great pain, the pain meds do little to help me. Ice cubes in paper towels on the bum between hot baths is my only relief. Not sleeping well either. How long will recovery take?I had been using coconut cream to lube before bms for some time, do y'all think that is ok still now? Thanksgiving in less than a week and we have family coming. yay. I am so embarrased and tired of being in constant pain. i hope this surgery helps me soon. right now it just seems like more, worse pain. any advice, help or prayers are greatly appreciated.
1972xlh