Rachael 1984 LIS Diary

LIS Recovery

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Rachael 1984 LIS Diary

Postby Alyssa » 29 Nov 2014, 23:46

R & hb,

How tight are you ladies back there? Can you insert your finger? How big/ wide are your stools? Do you continue to have pain during bm's?
2/14 Fissure developed
3/14 Diagnosed w/ fissure given Nifedipine
4/14 Referred to Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy=Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
5/14 Fissure declared "healed"/chronic anal pain persists
9/5/14 Botox to pelvic floor
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Topics: 26

Postby hopefulbutt » 01 Dec 2014, 09:05

Alyssa I have that book too! My muscle is sore- especially after I have bm, like this am. It's not as bad as it was before my 2 lis. I can put my pinky in if I use cream. If I gently push on the muscle it is quite sore/tender. I feel like I keep ripping though- if I put cream I wide it burns in one area- and not by my lis innscsions-it's wear my fissure was/is. Dilation makes me curious. I am wondering what your pressure test will say. Thinking about asking for one myself. Does it hurt when you bm or after? I can tell when I bm that it pulls apart and is sore- even though I use miralax everyday. Does dilation help? Is your whole muscle ring sore? Mine is only sore where fissure is/was. Can't really see anything as its just inside. I don't ant to give up, but I dont know what to do anymore. Should I ask for manometery too?
hopefulbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 40

Postby Alyssa » 02 Dec 2014, 01:56

When I touch my internal sphincter, it's sore/ tender too! I feel the area where I had my fissure much more tender to the touch. It hurts when I have a bm; like the stool is scrapping the internal sphincter when it exits; it even hurts when I am holding in stool (burning feeling). If the stool comes out too fast, it hurts much more. When I strain or the stool is bigger than dimed sized, my bum is sore. I have not tried dilation yet since I have been waiting for the pressure test; my last test was canceled and it took almost a month to reschedule but it feels better when my pt massages the sphincter; it's hurts though. My whole muscle ring hurts..

I don't know what to do also; it's just so frustrating to be in pain. I would suggest that you do request a test; can you also request a referral to a pelvic floor physical therapist or doctor?
2/14 Fissure developed
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Postby Rachael 1984 » 03 Dec 2014, 03:08

Hi HB A

Well I'm not sure about all of this. It's left my head in a spin.... But if I need a second LIS then I will.
Unfortunately I re-tore last Sunday. The pain on BM only lasted 2 days, but I'm using the Rectogesic again to be on the safe side.... Now if my stool is a size 4 this causes problems, it was on the day of the re-tear.
I'm sure my muscle is still tight, as u can feel it pinch and tighten, and I'm sure when I apply the Rectogesic it's hard to get in too far.

When he examined me he said it still felt too tight.
I was hoping that this LIS would end my 2 years of misery.
I'm was going down the dark road of depression again, so on the good days, I'm trying to stay focused and be positive. It's so hard as you all know. I don't get bad days every day, but it's always there in the background, that left side. Where the fissure was it's very tender, so that's still trying to heal somewhat. But if my muscle is too tight that's why both fissure sites feel present and why I re-tore.

Rachael xxxx
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Mood: Please heal!

Postby Worrier12345 » 03 Dec 2014, 09:25

Hi Rachael,

I'm sorry to hear that you are still having problems after your surgery. I have followed your posts quite closely since before my LIS and I really hoped you would see some improvement since you had been suffering so long.

I had my LIS 3 weeks ago, and I'm not sure I have seen much improvement either. The fissure doesn't look like it's healing, but what's worse is that I'm experiencing stool leakage that lasts all day after a BM - it isn't a great amount, but enough to cause soreness, irritation and hygiene issues. It seems that the problem is that the incision site has left a new groove in the anal cushion which doesn't close properly allowing stool to seep out. Did you notice any changes where your incision was made?

Like you, I'm not sure that I feel much looser. Maybe for the first few days, but not any more. You had yours done on the NHS, didn't you? Is your surgeon willing to do another LIS? My surgeon was quite adamant that LIS isn't a very popular procedure on the NHS any more, and tried to put me off - I wished I'd have listened to him now.

I hope your situation improves soon. Best of luck.
Worrier12345
Salt Bather

Topics: 13

Postby Alyssa » 03 Dec 2014, 20:38

Rachel,

I'm so sorry too; I was hoping that you had a success story just like many others on here and I can relate on how depressing these things can make us.

Worrier,

If lis is not used then what other procedure does the nhs do that is popular?
2/14 Fissure developed
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Postby Alyssa » 05 Dec 2014, 01:56

Rachael,

I don't mean to steal your thread... just wanted to share that my pressure tests revealed that I had high anal resting pressure tone... Will be getting Botox and starting self dilation.. Perhaps you should ask for the test to be performed again before doing a second surgery...
2/14 Fissure developed
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Postby Rachael 1984 » 09 Dec 2014, 06:24

Hi worrier.
Sorry not posting on here as much lately, I'm just so depressed and low with this continuing crap...
I don't get any leakage, only had it for a few weeks after the LIS and it was minimal.... I have since had a re-tear on one of the fissures, so I used the Nitro again for a week. No pain on BM again, but pain afterwards on the left at the worst fissure.
I know my incison has healed, CRS confirmed that when I saw him a few weeks ago.
He thinks he may have been too conservative with the cut.... More pressure tests after Xmas then if it shows my pressure is still too high a second LIS. This has honestly broken me right down again, as I was hoping the first LIS would do the job.
I'm sorry you have leakage, I've not heard of many people on here getting the deformity. What is the CRS plan? Can they do anything?
Alyssa, I'm glad you've had the high pressure confirmed.... You are much like me with the ongoing tightness pain etc... Why Botox and not LIS? I'm having pressure tests again soon? Ugh. Im back on the Antidepressants, because I'm struggling with dealing with this still 2 years on and still not right!

So now, I need to wait ages again........ What does everyone think about staying with a CRS who has been too conservative? I'm scared if I have a second LIS, it still may not work! I'm more scared now than ever..... Would one seek another opinion? Or stick with him, because he knows my history? Ugh....... This is hard.
Hem Banding sept 2012
2Fissures
Nitro- Effective short term
April 2013-Botox-Effective short term
Diltazem-No effect, developed Rash
July 2014-Diagnosed High Resting Pressure
LIS performed on 17.9.14
Ongoing pain/re-tears. Awaiting pressure test results.
Rachael 1984

Mood: Please heal!

Postby Alyssa » 09 Dec 2014, 23:06

Alyssa, I'm glad you've had the high pressure confirmed.... You are much like me with the ongoing tightness pain etc... Why Botox and not LIS? I'm having pressure tests again soon? Ugh. Im back on the Antidepressants, because I'm struggling with dealing with this still 2 years on and still not right!

They are trying the most conservative measures first since surgery is a permanent thing... The tightness pain is frustrating because its causing nerves to get irritated. More freakin problems to add to my pain list.

Rachel,

I'm sorry you feel frustrated too its a never ending cycle but keep your hopes up something will work for you!
2/14 Fissure developed
9/22 biofeedback
Alyssa
VIP

Postby msimon » 11 Dec 2014, 19:54

Rachael, I am so sorry to hear that you are still having problems. Did your retear heal? Not that I have much experience to pass advice out but I would want some testing done before getting a second surgery. And given how my surgery went don't think I'd ever do it again. Do you find the ointment loosens you up at all? Maybe it would loosen you enough and things would calm down after a while?
Dec '13 Fissure from anoscope
3 X internal sphincter botox
'08-'15 Botox for pelvic floor dysfunction
Nov '14 LIS/sentinel tag removal
Feb '15 Deroofing of recurrent infection from LIS
summer '15-healed but still ongoing muscle dysfunction/pain
msimon

Topics: 64